PDA

View Full Version : New Member

JW
11-24-2001, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first posting. I have a small collection of British sports cars. 52 MG TD, 57 Austin healey 100-6 (w/Ford 260 v8 conversion), 66 Jaguar E Type FHC, and a 71 MG Midget. I have been collecting British sports cars for almost 30 years. I have mostly purchased cars that have needed cosmetic restoration rather than mechanical. Since I work in an auto body repair
shop, this has worked out well for me. I have been involved in other pursuits for the last several years, and am just getting involved again in sports cars. If any one has any questions that I can help them with, I am eager to help.

Sincerely, Jeff Williams

JW
11-26-2001, 03:05 AM
OK. Here is the story on my E type. I purchased the car in April of this year from a friend that sells classic and special interest cars. He told me the milage on the odometer(73K)is correct. The car was purchased new in Los Angeles. I am, according to my friend, the 3rd owner. The second owner had the car painted black in 1968. The original color was a silver blue metallic (like Basils' car). The seats have been reupholstered in nagahide. Other than the above mentioned changes, replacement of parts for maintainance and repairs the car is in original condition. It appeared to have the original "double v" belt driving the alternator and water pump! Even some of the vacuum brake lines and cooling system hoses were the originals. Of course since these rubber parts were 36 years old they started to deteriorate as I began driving the car. I have since replaced the hoses and the belt. The latest part to fail has been the steering column bushings. I will be installing new ones next week. This car runs very strong and looks great. I hope to make it to several British Car shows next year. I do have a few more photos. I can email them if your interested. P.S. The reason the paint looks so good. It's hand rubbed nitrocellulose laquer. graemlins/cheers.gif JW

Jagdreamer
11-26-2001, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Jeff! I'm just a Jag "dreamer" at present, but someday...someday! I just saw the pic that Basil posted in the Member's Gallery! Wow, is that Dark Blue or Black (looks black). Do you have other pics, like th eengine and interior? How long have you had it? What's the story?

JD

triumphant
11-26-2001, 02:02 PM
JW, hope you don't mind a non-Jag guy chiming in here - your car is beautiful! I would love to have an EType, but for now the Spitfire will have to serve as a poor substitute (Still, its a fun little car).

Larry

Basil
11-26-2001, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JW:
Hello everyone,
This is my first posting. I have a small collection of British sports cars. 52 MG TD, 57 Austin healey 100-6 (w/Ford 260 v8 conversion), 66 Jaguar E Type FHC, and a 71 MG Midget. I have been collecting British sports cars for almost 30 years. I have mostly purchased cars that have needed cosmetic restoration rather than mechanical. Since I work in an auto body repair
shop, this has worked out well for me. I have been involved in other pursuits for the last several years, and am just getting involved again in sports cars. If any one has any questions that I can help them with, I am eager to help.

Sincerely, Jeff Williams<hr></blockquote>

JW, welcome to the forum! Glad to have another EType guy onboard! I am restoring a 67, so I may call upon you from time to time for some "where the heck does this thingy go" help. images/icons/wink.gif

Basil
(PS: Are you leaving it black, or have you ever considered returning to original color? Black looks great mind you, just curious what your druthers are.)

JW
11-27-2001, 02:11 AM
Hello again,I really appreciate the positive
responce regaurding my E type's appearance. I
wish I could take you all for a ride in it. It really does run as good as it looks. Yes Basil, the thought of returning the car to it's original color has crossed my mind. But, I really like black cars. My MG TD is silver with black fenders. My AH 100-6 is also black. My wife says if I change the color, she wants it red. So I think it will stay black for now. Responding to "Triumphant" I have owned 3 TR4A's
and a TR250. Triumphs are wonderful cars. I would not hesitate to purchase Triumph or to recommend one to a new comer. Although, I did trade my restored 68 TR250 for an unrestored 63 E type FHC. graemlins/devilgrin.gif graemlins/cheers.gif JW

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: JW ]</p>

Basil
11-27-2001, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JW:
&lt;snip&gt; Yes Basil, the thought of returning the car to it's original color has crossed my mind. But, I really like black cars.&lt;snip&gt;<hr></blockquote>

Well, I know what you mean about black cars. I once had a 1990 Black Corvette Convertible with Chrome 5-spoke wheels. Talk about a head turner! I really loved the way that car looked in black. My only grip was, I live in a very dusty state and it was a constant chore to keep it looking good. As I'm sure you'll agree, black looks fantastik when its very clean, but the slightest bit of dirt and it looks terrible. If only someone could invent self-cleaning paint!

Basil

images/icons/grin.gif