PDA

View Full Version : Bugeye VIN question

mrsprite
10-02-2010, 03:01 PM
OK...this is sort of hypothetical and I've changed the actual VIN to protect the innocent :smile:

I went and looked at a Bugeye last week with the VIN AN5L/09500 (again, not actual VIN). The body number (the one stamped on the inside drivers door post) is AN 533600.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the body and VIN are from two different cars? They should be closer than that, right? My Bugeye's VIN is AN5L/21000 and the body number is AN 520712....pretty darn close to each other.

I guess the questionis, is there a correlation between the cars body number and it's VIN/when it was built? Because to me, it appears that his early "1959" Bugeye is really a mid-late "1960". Am I wrong?

mrzippy
10-02-2010, 03:13 PM
mr sprite the only way i know for sure is to get the british motor heritage certificate mr zippy

JohnnyO
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
On a side note, At British Motor Heritage site when they ask for the "chassis number" do they mean the Vehicle Identification Number, or the Body Number???

drooartz
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
On a side note, At British Motor Heritage site when they ask for the "chassis number" do they mean the Vehicle Identification Number, or the Body Number???
VIN

I would tend to assume that there is some VIN mobility in that car, mrsprite. My numbers are about 350-ish off from each other (similar to your Bugeye).

smaceng
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
The Heritage search can be done on either the Chassis # or the Body #, as those are the only ones recorded (my understanding) by the factory. I just sent for my Heritage Certificate so that I can add a body # plate. My car also has the Thompson #, which is close to the Chassis #. Try to see if the Thompson # is readable. It is located on the engine compartment side of the right side footwell top, right below where the wire harness comes throught the firewall, just above the harness strap. That might give additional information.
Scott in CA.

mrsprite
10-02-2010, 08:07 PM
My Bugeye has the number 20539 stamped on the right side footwell under the hood. I have no idea on what number the car in question has.....I just looked at it because it was for sale and I have a friend looking for a nice Bugeye. I happened to glance at the engine plate and the plate in the door jamb, but forgot about the third number.

For the amount they wanted for it, it had too many issues and the potential VIN swap was one of them. I have no real interest in getting a Heritage certificate for it....heck, I haven't gotten one for my own Bugeye yet! :smile:

Thanks for the replies.....it just confirms what I already pretty much knew. At some point in the past, a VIN tag was swapped out. Probably due to a missing title or some other paperwork issue.

Sometimes a rusted out parts car has better paperwork than a driver. :smile:

The_architect
10-02-2010, 09:21 PM
When I got my British Heritage Certificate for my Bugeye it turned out my VIN plate was from a beige car delivered to Dusseldorf. The body tag didn't match, wasn't even close. Richard from British Heritage was kind enough to look up the body tag. It was from a red car delivered to the States. There is no trace of beige anywhere on the car. It is all red.

Who knows where that VIN plate came from--my guess is a GI brought that car from Germany but who knows... Today all that counts is that it matches the title.