PDA

View Full Version : Midget 50th Info

spritenut
10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
In Elkhart Lake, WI next summer.
Plan now and check out what we have to offer.

https://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/Midget50th/ElkhartLake.pdf

RickB
10-01-2010, 05:52 PM
link (https://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/Midget50th/ElkhartLake.pdf)

I talked to my son about this today, we were planning another Alaska fishing trip.
He's coming down on the side of the MG trip right now, I told him he's going to have to learn a lot more before next summer.
He said he'd help install the 5 speed and help with the painting.
This could be a lot of fun!

drooartz
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Boy, I'd love to be able to do an event like this... maybe it will be possible...

Pythias
10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Boy, I'd love to be able to do an event like this... maybe it will be possible...

If things go as planned, our second nights stop from the Pacific Northwest will be in Gillette Wyoming, leaving from Missoula Montana, our first nights stop. Using Google maps, I see that you are about the same distance from Gillette as we will be. Hook up with us?

drooartz
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
We may have to chat...

Maybe if I get a 5-speed some day soon... that's a long trip in a bitty little car.

RichBall
10-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Susan and I will be making the trip from the northwest with the two Bill's (and now maybe Rick) in our '76 Midget. We only have a four speed in ours so you can't use that as an excuse.

Pythias
10-01-2010, 11:51 PM
The "PLAN" as it now sits...subject to modification by the participants, is to drive at about 60 mph, to average 50 mph, to do 500 miles per day for 4 days. From the Seattle area this works out to stops in Missoula Mo., Gillette Wy., Kurt Appley's farm (Nomad her on the BCF) in South Dakota, and on into Elkhart Lake on the 4th day. ..

A 5 speed and a 3.9 make it slightly easier, but the idea is not to drive so hard as to stress the car, nor so along as to stress the body. Mike B. has also expressed interest, and we will of course add Kurt and whomever else musters in S.D., our mid west meeting place.

aeronca65t
10-02-2010, 06:07 AM
On that PDF link above, I didn't actually see a date mentioned........maybe I missed it.

Anyway, it's June 20-24, 2011.

Would love to go, but it's 1000 miles (one way) from me......if only I was retired.

taskadog
10-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I just figured out how to take the "furthest" trophy from Bill M.
I'll leave South Florida and hook up with you guys in Gillete. We'll caravan to Wisc. and I'll have covered 3200 miles.
The pie alone at Little America is worth the extra 1800 miles.

See you guys next June.

Phil "Go Ducks"

Pythias
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Would love to go, but it's 1000 miles (one way) from me......if only I was retired.

It's over 2000 miles one way from Seattle. The nearest possible venue for the event was over 800 for us up here in the Northwest.

Ah, Phil, you forget, they punch in your starting location into a computer to generate a route and use that for distance, not actual mileage, just to prevent the kind of prize manipulation you are suggesting. Your only hope is to move to Southern California, or Guatemala. Oh, and, I'm further this time than Bill M. by about the same distance he got me last time, but still, SoCal is further.

drooartz
10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Time off from work is my biggest enemy here. Stupid day job... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

RickB
10-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Bill, is there a link to the route on google maps?

Like:

https://goo.gl/maps/7gKT

taskadog
10-02-2010, 03:57 PM
You Washingtonians are ONLY six states away from WI.
I'll have to cross seven, so there.

See you in June,
Phil

Pythias
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know how you did that,.. saving the link and all... let me do some research. The difference between I-94 and I-90 is piddling, and the added time to get to Kurt's farm is only about an hour to the total drive time, even though it looks like a detour. He has alredy offered us a place to stay for the evening, and to use his place as a Mid West Mustering Point. ... let me research and try to get you a link..

[https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=38810+SE+River+St,+Snoqu almie,+WA+98065&amp;daddr=Elkhart+Lake,+WI&amp;hl=en&amp;geoco de=FYk31QIdsiC9-Cn75wtl5nuQVDEhcG8DrTbY6Q;Fe_XnAIdL_TA-imL4_-ltXwDiDF7keYPzwlggg&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll=47.528173,-121.822942&amp;sspn=0.009461,0.022724&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;z=5]

I don't know if this works or not, but there it is. I forgot to change the route from the state highways back to the Interstate so as to go thru Gillette. It only adds about 10 minutes to stay on the freeway.

RickB
10-03-2010, 01:33 AM
When you have the map on your screen just the way you want it you look over to the right just above the map to the right of "Print" and "Send" there is "Link". Click that then copy / paste.

https://goo.gl/maps/7gKT

Jer
10-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Finally ! ( I always questioned the preliminary dates as it didn't fall over a weekend, ahhh it is a mon-fri gig only) now I can start planning, see if I feel comfortable enough with the drive... I put over 3000 miles so far this year &amp; she didn't leave me stranded - this would be fun.

Google maps says 356 miles one way, not to bad especially if I take my time &amp; do it over 2 days... think I will go across the upper pennisula &amp; down, then take the ferry route on the way back - only catch, I have to make the St.Ignace car show that weekend so it may be a one day haul on the return!

vagt6
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Jer, could you please post the link to the 50th website?

Nelson
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
https://www.sprite-midgetclub.org/

RickB
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm starting to get serious about this.
I've downloaded and mostly filled in the registration form.

Bill (either L. or M.) when is the itinerary going to be firm?
Do we need to have some kind of meeting to discuss?
Are there some places along the way where we can stop and view something cool (Mt Rushmore etc...)? It would be great to have my kid see things like that.

I had road trips when I was young, in fact I've driven in every state in the USA. You gain extremely valuable experiences doing that.

I need to start planning things like vacation time, so what day do we plan to leave and what day do we plan to return type of information is required.
Maybe a few of us can talk about this at the thing on Wednesday night in Redmond.

Jer
10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm getting serious as well, approx. 750 miles round trip - talk about a true circle tour, check out the link to my trip route, how can I not do this !

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Sault+Ste.+Marie,+Ontari o,+Canada&amp;daddr=Elkhart+Lake,+WI,+United+States+to :Traverse+City,+MI,+United+States+to:St.+Ignace,+M I,+United+States+to:Sault+Ste.+Marie,+Ontario,+Can ada&amp;geocode=FUR2xQIdG_74-imlDjIRezk2TTEHXLFoa5RYmg%3BFe_XnAIdL_TA-imL4_-ltXwDiDF7keYPzwlggg%3BFbEHqwIdaIjl-indKdrXsjIeiDEhVnQ_P9y_Rw%3BFVDmuwId7Cfz-inV8p5PGvY1TTEgQFswez5Ndg%3BFUR2xQIdG_74-imlDjIRezk2TTEHXLFoa5RYmg&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll=45.1233 2,-86.20041&amp;sspn=3.907121,7.086182&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=45.1200 53,-86.253662&amp;spn=3.907121,7.086182&amp;t=h&amp;z=7

Starting to look like a "once in a lifetime" opportunity...

RickB
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Ok - I think it's time for a visual aid.

When you get a map or a route in Google maps hopefully you have a "Link" thing you can click on. Click it, then press "CTRL" and "C". Then go to the thing you are typing and press "CTRL" and "V". Let the magic happen.

https://goo.gl/maps/J8Sy

Jer
10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
that's what I tried to do &amp; it still came with the huge link, i had seen your earlier post... strange not sure what I did wrong. I have to play with the google maps some more I guess...

RickB
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Crud - mine always gave me the short link until just now - tried it again and got the long one like yours. I will have to check into this.

nomad
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
All: Have'nt been on here for a few days so missed this conversation. I'll be looking forward to as many as can make it!
If your looking at routes from here check out hiway 60 in Ia. to get back to I 90 or for a scenic route hiway 3 thru Ia and follow the Wisconsin river. Did that route this summer and it is gorgeous. (I like 2 lanes).
What ever works for the group and remember 60 mph caan be handled by everyone.

Later, Kurt.

Pythias
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Kurt,

Glad you had a chance to weigh in on this. We in the Northwest have been having the discussion about timing, routes, stops, costs, etc., and your place always figures in.

See ya SOON!

nomad
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Good to here from you Bill. I should elaborate on my route sugestion's. Hiway 60 runs diagonally back to I 90 so one would gain a little time that way and it is a new 4 lane.
As mentioned I am a fan of 2 lanes. I especially like old US hiways that parallel interstate hiway's. Route 66 is the most famous but there are many others with the same charm. Usually they have only local traffic.
I understand the headache of caravaning thru small towns though and for you guys the interstates probably make the most sense.

Later, Kurt.

Pythias
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
From your place, we'll follow you.

I did some route checking and to leave east on the road past your place and taking (I didn't see Hiway 60) 20 on out only added 12 minutes to going right back up the Interstates. .. I prefer State Routes and two lanes, but time, can become critical. If we went scenic getting to you it could add a couple of days. I did see someone was going about 400 miles and was going to take TWO DAYS to do it. Now that's a nice easy relaxing way to go, not the freeway hammerin' we're gonna have to do to cover 4000+ miles round trip.

JPSmit
10-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Jer, I still plan to be there, maybe we can meet at the Ferry?

Jer
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
JP that would be great to meet up with you at the ferry, Originally I was going to take the ferry on the return, but now that I have been enlightened on the ferry schedule, it isn't condusive for me being in St.Ignace on the friday at a reasonable time, so my new rough draft plan is this :

Sat 18 Drive to Traverse City MI
Sun 19 Drive to Ludington MI
Mon 20 Catch ferry at 9am in Ludington &amp; arrive in Elkhart Lake WI in afternoon.
Mon 20 - Thurs 23 "Midget 50th"
Evening of Thursday 23 drive to Escanaba MI
Friday 24 Drive to St.Ignace
Friday 24 - Sunday 26 St.Ignace Car Show

Unfortunately I will have to leave Thursday evening to have reasonable drive &amp; arrival time for St.Ignace Car Show on the Friday. Want to space the drives out so I don't have to work Midge to hard, plus make the most of the tour, I won't have the chance / excuse to do a trip like this for a long time, might as well enjoy it I guess.

But anyways, hopefully we can meet up at the ferry, if anyone else is matching some of my schedule, please chime in, always good to travel in numbers ! Think I'm the only one from northern Ontario, but once I'm into Michigan there should be some more then.

sswarin
10-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey Jer,

As I mentioned in my PM, I'm planning to spend some time at the Frank Lloyd Wright site at Taliesin in Wisconsin at the beginning of this road trip, so I won't be able to match your schedule for getting to Elkhart lake.

But on the return, I think we should caravan to St. Ignace. However, we should wait for the final schedule of events for Midget 50th before we make final plans. I'll bet there will be a closing banquet on Thursday night that we won't want to miss. And it's only ~300 miles from Elkhart Lake to St. Ignace, so we should be able to do that in one day on Friday, don't you think? The west coast guys are planning on 500 miles a day!!!!

Steve

Pythias
10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
At the last event things started right off on the morning of the first day. I'd plan on being there the evening of the 19th if at all possible.

Jer
10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
And it's only ~300 miles from Elkhart Lake to St. Ignace, so we should be able to do that in one day on Friday, don't you think? The west coast guys are planning on 500 miles a day!!!!

Steve

I hear ya Steve, food for thought - have to admit, the longest continuous ride I have done in Midge is about 2-3 hours &amp; the thought of doing a 6 hour (300 mile) continuous ride doesn't sound so appealing :-)be nice if I could find some proper seats for my 67, the seats that are in there right now (out of a Spitfire from what I have been told) do not fit correctly &amp; even cause my stubby 27" inseam legs to still have a bend with the seat fully back, I haven't had the chance to sit in a another Midget but assume the original seats give a bit more leg room (as much as a Midget can) been trying to find late 65 to 68 seats for 4 years now with not much luck

As for the arrival day, The schedule says that arrival &amp; registration is on the monday, so I will shoot for that - but there will probably be some early birds, I can't afford any more time off from work to get there any earlier :-)

sswarin
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Jer,

Fortunately I've got Miata seats in my Spridget, so (hopefully) 6 hours behind the wheel will not be too painful. But I do have problems with leg position/cramping caused by that crazy angle on the "go pedal". Nevertheless it will be worth it.

With the hotel registration opening on November 1, I hope that we will see a "final" schedule of events soon, so that we can start to make our travel arrangements. (hint, hint!)

Steve

Trevor Jessie
10-08-2010, 10:03 AM
The cheese head crew is hard at work on the schedule, and I suspect we'll see some definite dates soon.

But personally, the perpetual car show/tech sessions that occur in the parking lots is worth the price of admission. Not to mention the lies ...errr ... stories told around the bar.