PDA

View Full Version : British Invasion At CMP

Hap Waldrop
09-20-2010, 06:38 AM
3rd Annual British Invasion at CMP

When: Saturday November 13th

Where: Carolina Motorsports Park
Kershaw, SC
www.carolinamotorsportspark.com (https://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com)

Time: 10:00am, track lapping session will begin about noon

This is third time to do this , it is really laid back event, we get together kick tires, talk cars, and then get to take our cars onto CMP's 2 mile road course for spirited lapping sessions, we do (2) 20 minutes sessions during the lunch time, there will be a Turn 1 track day going on that day as normal. They charge you a small gate fee to get in the track, I think it is $10, which is what any spectator is charged, the lapping sessions are free. I'm the driving instructor, and will hold a brief drivers meeting and then we go out, this is not parade laps, we try to not be too crazy and hold speeds down on the straights, but attack the corner as fast as you feel comfortable, and passing of slower cars on the straights is allowed. This is a rare deal, most road course do not allow convertibles on course without roll cages and helmets, and we don't have to have neither, you can even have a passenger. Everyone who has done this has had a ball, any of you are welcome to join. Some of us spend the night on Friday, and normally stay at the Colony Inn in Camden, if you make reservation there, be sure to tell them you are with the CMP bunch for a nice discount on your room.

For event info, call Hap Waldrop at 864-370-300 or email
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Hope to see you there.

PAUL161
09-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Reminder & link is on my desk top. I sure hope I can make it this year! PJ

EricG
09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Hap! I am looking forward to this-thanks for getting us out on the track again. Here is a photo of me trying to keep up with a very fast Bugeye last year! Eric

Gundy
09-23-2010, 05:21 AM
This event is a BLAST! Best fun I've had with the Spridget.
See ya'll there! The track is a wonderful facility.
Here's a shot of some of the guys from last year.

Gundy
09-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Here's the video of Eric's Mini as he kindly slows to allow me to pass and get all the cars on video.
Great fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYrtZDovW5Q

toysrrus
09-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Howdy David,

I really like all your videos especially the one coming down RT.135 @ 7000rpm & onto "Olde Table Rock Rd". How dog gone fast were you going?

It just dawned on me that I`ll be leaving for "VEGAS" on Nov. 14th so; I won`t be able to make the CMP (Darn)!

Russ & Danielle

EricG
09-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Ah David, I don't think I slowed down to let you pass....you were running pretty fast and I sure could not keep up! Wonderful Bugeye that you have.
Russ-you can still go, the track day is on the 13th! Eric

toysrrus
09-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Howdy Eric,

I`m not certain how far the track is from "Pickens" to make a day of it?

I also need to get "Mentally" prepared to approach the "Gaming Tables" & figure out "How I`m going to bring back all my winnings"! "LOL"!

We`ll see,

Russ

Hap Waldrop
09-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Russ, it's 120 miles from Greenville.

Hap Waldrop
11-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Bumping this guys, it is this Saturday, and we looked to have a nice group of cars coming, everyone is welcomed, and the lapping time on track is free.

Oh, and you guys have a chance to de-throne me, I'l be driving the wife's SUV, so here's your chance :smile:

EricG
11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
See you there Hap! A group from the Columbia British Club will be there too.
Eric

Gundy
11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Bumping this guys, it is this Saturday, and we looked to have a nice group of cars coming, everyone is welcomed, and the lapping time on track is free.

Oh, and you guys have a chance to de-throne me, I'l be driving the wife's SUV, so here's your chance :smile:

Fat chance of THAT happening. I'll try to get pics/video of the Minivan leading the pack. It ought to be priceless.
Anybody got any spare Morris Garage, Triumph or Healey badges or something we can stick on the SUV so we "sports car guys" can try and save face?
:jester:

toysrrus
11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Howdy Folks,

Man; I wish I were going but Can`t.

There`s always next year.

Have a safe "BLAST" there folks.

Regards, Russ

PS: Hey Gundy; Are You going to let Your Wife take a few laps (In Your Bugeye/Frogeye, That is)??????????

PAUL161
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Hap, Sandy and I will be there, probably around 11. I think it's a three hr drive for us. Were bringing her "B". PJ

Hap Waldrop
11-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Paul, nice to see you there, looks like everyone had a good time. I appreciate David let me sling his Bugeye around the track for a few laps, David got some video he posted of me hot lapping the Bugeys posted in down the Spridget forum in the the CMP thread.

PAUL161
11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Hap, It was really nice meeting you! I am sorry we had to leave early, because the overdrive went out just before we got there. I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I didn't want to put any pressure on it by driving the interstates back home. We took all back roads and drove very easy coming back. Took an hour and a half longer. Found out that it was the plunger sticking in the solenoid. Thank goodness that's all it was and not internal gearing. Cleaned it up and all is well. We wanted to stay longer, hope you'll understand. PJ

Hap Waldrop
09-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Bumping this for this year's 2011 event, hope to see some of you there, as always, we'll have a fun time.

2011 4th Annual British Invasion at CMP

When: Saturday November 12th, 2011

Where: Carolina Motorsports Park
Kershaw, SC
www.carolinamotorsportspark.com (https://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com)

Time: 10:00am, track lapping sessions will begin about noon

This is our fourth time to do this, it is really a laid back event, we get together kick tires, talk cars, and then get to take our cars onto CMP's 2 mile road course for spirited lapping sessions, we do (2) 20 minutes sessions during the lunch time, there will be a Turn 1 track day going on that day as normal, so you can check out folks doing lapping/track days. They charge you a small gate fee to get in the track, I think it is $10, which is what any spectator is charged, the lapping sessions are free. I'm the driving instructor, and will hold a brief drivers meeting and then we go out, this is not parade laps, we try to not be too crazy and hold speeds down on the straights, but attack the corner as fast as you feel comfortable, and the passing of slower cars on the straights is allowed, as long as great care and coutesy is grnated the over taken driver. This is a rare deal, most road course do not allow convertibles on course without roll cages and helmets, and we don't have to have neither, you can even have a passenger. Everyone who has done this has had a ball, any of you are welcome to join. Some of us spend the night on Friday, and normally stay at the Colony Inn in Camden, if you make reservations there, be sure to tell them you are with the CMP bunch for a nice discount on your room. The colony has a nice resturant opend for Breakfast there on the same property as the hotel.

There are track food concessions, nice clean restrooms, even shower and changing rooms at the track if needed. Children, pets are welcomed as well.

This year we also we will be having a few extra cool things. I'll be doing the full test day in my new MGB vintage race car, it will also be doing the British Invasion CMP lapping session, possibly as a pace car, I'm letting one of my best friends ever, drive it during that time, he has helpd me so much over the years, and want him to experience getting to drive that car. Also I have my recently finished my 1967 MGB GT street car there with it's new 1900cc performacne Acme Speed Shop engine and T9 5 speed tranny kit, and new 15x6 VTO Retro 4 wheels, so lots of cool stuff and that car getting to lapping session as well with it's new owner.

For event info, call Hap Waldrop at 864-370-300 or email
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Hope to see you there.

EricG
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Hap
I will spread the word around to our British car club. It is always fun at the track! Eric

Gundy
09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow Hap. This should be even better than the others.
Lynn and I will come down Friday.
I'll have her make reservations pronto.
We can set up the GoPro on that new B racer of yours.
Maybe a lap where you start at the rear so all the cars get on tape. Shouldn't take YOU much more than a lap to lap the field.

:devilgrin:

Gundy
09-26-2011, 06:06 PM
My favorite pic from CMP

Hap Waldrop
10-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Less than a month away. :driving:

Gundy
10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Made our Friday night reservations yesterday.
several people at the Euro car show expressed interest.
Sam last year. He's coming.
:cheers:

toysrrus
10-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Hi There David,

Hey; Is your buddy "Alan" going to be there with his "Caterham"?

Russ

Hap Waldrop
10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, if the forecast doesn't look like rain, Alan ain't getting that thing anywhere near rain.

EricG
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Looks like PERFECT weather for this Saturday-see you there!

Gundy
11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Intimidating to be driving a Sprite and see
this in your rear view mirror whilst getting
tips from The Master.
:jester:
See ya'll there.

Gundy
11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Getting ready to load the Sprite.
:driving:

Gundy
11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Great fun once again. The guys and gals at CMP are special people at a special place. Mimi's new carbs, suspension tweeks and new tire/wheel combos worked nicely together.
Hap...thanks once again.
Video is the Instructor pacing a lively lap for those with some
track experience. He's in the Bimmer and behind him is Fred in Hap's new MGB racer. Then me till Alan comes by in the Caterham.
Fun and instructional at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av6yA2JK6GA

Pretty boring to watch. Beware.

EricG
11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Hap and crew for putting on this event!
It was a beautiful day for a drive at the track and there were 26 British cars present-even a Daimler SP 250.
I was in the second group and for a short time I was following you when you were driving the big block MGB.
So how did that car run, handle, and brake?
As always it was great seeing everyone again. Eric

Hap Waldrop
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys, yep a great turn out and some really neat cars, glad you all had a good time. As you all know I was testing the new vintage MGB race car, and did two more sessions after most of you left, got in like 50+ laps for the day and got down to a time of 1:57 a lap, the race car drove great, it was fun to be back in race car again. The Roadmaster 455 V8 MGB GT was some more of a car, gobs and gobs of power, it did pretty good on the track and did better on the front end and steering than I thought it would. Thats a really cool car and those guys built it mostly off donations, it will go to several events over the next few years, including schools to get young folks interesting in hot rodding cars, and then eventually be sold and the proceeds donated to charity, I was honored to be ask to shake it down on the track.

Here's a pic of the Roadmaster.

Hap Waldrop
11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Also a pic of the new race in action. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span>

and also a incar video of the race on track and me at the wheel.

Hap at CMP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDJAp_goY4)