PDA

View Full Version : Tunebug goes to the doctor

drooartz
09-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Today was the day to get the Tunebug down to Bailey's Service. These guys know LBCs (Mike, the owner, has a MG TC and TD). You know you're in the right place when there is an Issetta, MGC, Midget, MG TF, and a 49 Ford in the shop. The work list is to solve the exhaust leak and give the car a good tuneup and once-over. Hopefully all will be well soon.

Nice to have the AAA Plus -- 100 miles free towing (up to 4 times a year). A phone call and 30 minutes later a nice chap with a flatbed showed up. Took good care of the car.

https://www.drooartz.com/public/tbg_flatbed.jpg https://www.drooartz.com/public/baileys.jpg

jlaird
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Ha Drew, I would have driven it.

drooartz
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Carbs are in a box, Jack. Also, we're talking 50 miles including over a mountain pass (7000') on a freeway to get there. The Tunebug was much happier on the flatbed. :smile:

Silverghost
09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
But you WILL drive home, RIGHT??!!!! :smile:

14dna
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
:iagree:
What Peter said.

Dave :driving:

drooartz
09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
But you WILL drive home, RIGHT??!!!! :smile:
If I can't drive it home, then it is not done. That's the whole *point* of handing it over to a professional. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Rest assured that the Tunebug will be driven, and driven hard.

mightymidget
09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
and you didn't even take photos of the other cars in the shop!

Hap Waldrop
09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Drew, why are the carbs in a box?

leecreek
09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
That picture is making me sick.

jlaird
09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I guess I just don't understand this carbs in a box thing. You do know that they are supose to be installed. Right.

Even not installed they are Hap carbs and should be placed in a positon of respect in the living room at least.

JPSmit
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I guess I just don't understand this carbs in a box thing. You do know that they are supose to be installed. Right.

Even not installed they are Hap carbs and should be placed in a positon of respect in the living room at least.

On the other hand, he didn't say what kind of box.

TOC
09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
If you'd been following this, you'd know he pulled carbs, intake, headers, trying to find an annoying exhaust leak.....and that the "new" header and exhaust would not come apart.

Geez, you guys are so thick sometimes, you must drive Triumphs, right?

drooartz
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Drew, why are the carbs in a box?
As part of trying to track down the exhaust/intake leak, I pulled the carbs and intake so that I could get the headers off. When I got stuck trying to get the header and exhaust pipe apart, I decided to take everything down to a mechanic and have him finish it off. I have all new gaskets for the header/intake/carbs, but didn't want to put them until other things were sorted.

So I put the intake and header back on with the old gasket to ease transport, and left the carbs, heat shield, gaskets, and other bits in a box for the mechanic to deal with.

Hence, the carbs are in a box. :crazy:

jlaird
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Welll, like John-Peter I hope it is a nice box.

drooartz
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Cardboard, but with lots of towels to keep everything safe. :smile:

jlaird
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Ahh, sounds good.

When do you expect to see the job done Drew, did he give you a time estimate?

drooartz
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
No estimate, just a "I'll get to it as soon as I can" -- a couple weeks, I expect realistically. Hopefully it will go quicker, but with small shops I've found patience to be important. As long as it gets done correctly, I'm willing to wait.