PDA

View Full Version : Miata wheels go "clickity clickity"

weed
11-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey y'all,

My '99 Miata has been just about perfect except for a couple of minor things. One of which is the wheels (the cheap factory steel wheels) go "clickity clickity" going down the road at slow speed. What's up with that? Dosn't seem to be anything serious but is somewhat annoying. I have taken it to one shop but they were unable to figure out the problem.

Thanks in advance for anyone having the solution.

REK "weed"

aeronca65t
11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
If it has the wheels like my '00, it may have loose plastic center caps.
Apply a dab of RTV.
Also, some of these early M2s also have issues with half-shafts (you may hear a light clunk when reversing)
By the way, a small number of '99 M2s are affected by a "silent recall" on the rear-main bearing of the engine. I forget what the symptoms are, but the repair is free (but only to those who complain). You would have to check the VIN with Mazda to see if your car is one of those affected.

KerryStagmer
11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
scarey to think, but have you tightened the lugs? best jack the wheel first incase its pushed to one side from the weight. loose lugs would do exactly that and be VERY dangerous

if your lucky that might be it. Ive had Kids living near me get a wrench and loosen lugs on cars, thankfully i live away from that kind of nonsense now

Eric
11-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Try the forums on www.miata.net (https://www.miata.net) as there are tons of knowledgable people there who are every bit as helpful as the people on this board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jlummus
11-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Bearings?