PDA

View Full Version : Restoration or on the road

Paul
10-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Mine is a 69 roadster etype which was sorely neglected for 14 years, most being outside in Maryland weather. The car is now running and driveable. The interior rotted and has been removed, the top is equally bad. The rust, strangely enough, is limited to small areas and can be repaired without a teardown. The paint will need to be redone which I figured at this point I will use the original color (as best I can). The question is this. I would prefer to get it on the road by purchasing the new interior, top and seats. Sometime in the future I would redo the whole car and cherry it out. How much of the interior, etc., will I lose by installing it now and removing it in a few years and trying to reinstall it? This is not my first car but it is my first jag. I look forward to all opinions and not just the ones which agree with me. https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif Paul.

Basil
10-29-2001, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Paul:
<snip> The question is this. I would prefer to get it on the road by purchasing the new interior, top and seats. Sometime in the future I would redo the whole car and cherry it out. How much of the interior, etc., will I lose by installing it now and removing it in a few years and trying to reinstall it? This is not my first car but it is my first jag. I look forward to all opinions and not just the ones which agree with me. https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif Paul.

I am in the same boat. I had bought a whole new interior then a few years later decided to do a full-up and so I had to pull the interior. Most of the major components are just easily removable panels that you can safely pack away. Some things, like the sill coverings and the rear area, especially the under felts, you would have to replace. If your careful in packing it away in keeping it stored in a cool dry place (with no mice), I would say that you can reuse about 80 percent of it. Thats what I plan to do anyway. (I have a 67 OTS that I'm restoring).

Basil

Paul
10-29-2001, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. 80% is very good and kind of what I expected as I have removed everything else most came out okay. The underfelt I can live with losing so long as I can keep the cosmetics looking good. Again thanks. Paul.