PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about adding another car to the family.

waltesefalcon
11-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Ok, I am considering a BMW 2002, or a Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Any thoughts guys? I am leaning towards the 2002. Both cars are going for the same price so thats not an issue.

MattP
11-04-2004, 02:56 AM
I would go 2002. But my driving doesn't include enough stuff to feed a Jeep.

Steve_S
11-04-2004, 03:59 AM
2002. Better quality car IMHO and much more fun to drive, also IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vagt6
11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Before you purchase a 2002, very carefully check under the car for rust. BMW 2002s are notorious for excessive rust in the outer sill areas.

In fact, if those areas have not been replaced in recent history, they'll be rusty about 98% of the time.

A very sexy car, tons of fun to drive. Good luck!

waltesefalcon
11-04-2004, 11:52 AM
I've been working on the 2002 at work lately. So I am getting to know it inside and out. It has sat on the lot for the past three years, with no one interested in it. Right now I have the driveshaft out and am replacing the carrier bearing. I gave it a tune up a couple days ago, and it runs great, I can't wait to get it on the road. The rust really is not a problem on this car, the only spot that is actually bad is just in front of the drivers door, there is a silver dollar sized hole, that will be easy to patch. Everywhere else on the car is in good shape, with only minumal surface rust in a couple places, and no where dangerous.

Steve
11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
My vote would go to the 2002 every time. A classic if ever there was one, beautiful and fun to drive. A little skittish on the back end if I remember correctly, but the right rubber will go a long way towards curing that.

Mickey Richaud
11-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Walter -

Interesting choice - a sport sedan and an SUV (is it four-wheel drive, and is that a necessity?) What will you be using it for?

Mickey

Bret
11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd like to second Mickey's observation and comment further.

So what kind of BMW are you looking at? Is it an SUV or a sedan Ė you didnít really say. I mean a Sedan and an SUV arenít commonly put on the same shopping list.

That said you need to think about what do you plan on using the vehicles for. Do you really need the SUV? Is it going to be a commuter vehicle, kid & grocery hauler with weekend play duties?

Even if you donít go off road what vehicle would serve you best.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

UltimateQuestion
11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what kind of BMW are you looking at? Is it an SUV or a sedan Ė you didnít really say.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said BMW 2002 (a small sports sedan) back when BMW didn't make anything but cars and bikes, not a 2002 BMW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

waltesefalcon
11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Luckily I don't have kids yet, and when I get them, I already have adecent size sedan for family duites. (my Mercedes) As for weekend fun the Jeep has an automatic, and automatic hubs, which I think suck for 4 wheeling, if wanted an off roader I'd go buy an old Willy's Jeep, from the era before soccer moms drove Jeeps to the grocery store. The only reasons I am considering the Jeep, is it has more room, more comforts, and the "little lady" likes Jeeps.

rloewy
11-08-2004, 10:45 PM
I own a 1972 '02 - wonderful car. Fun, reliable, stylish and usable every day of the week (but be careful in the slick stuff - as noted elsewhere - the rear end likes to step out).

What year? Specifications?