PDA

View Full Version : GOT RICE?

EMGEBE
11-01-2004, 02:59 AM
gday guys.

I cant help but notice that alot of people really disrespect jap cars in general...
Being a young bloke, I would seriously like to know what exactly people have against japanese cars?

Cheers

Jarrod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sherlock
11-01-2004, 03:08 AM
I like alot of Japanese cars... But in general I prefer cars to look original.

Older Japanese cars are collectible (Datsun Fairlady roadster, Datsun 240Z, early Toyota Celica's, first series Mazda RX-7, even cars like an early Toyota Crown or Datsun 410 or 411)

As for newer cars, I still like original over heavily modified (personal preference only I'll admit). For example, a good friend of mine has a 1991 Acura Integra GS-R in decent shape, it has not been modified by him or the previous owner and I think the car looks great as is, I also know that those engines are fantastic! He is also the previous owner of a 1981 Mazda RX-7 that he absolutely loved and owned for many years before it finally died on him...

waltesefalcon
11-01-2004, 04:22 AM
My biggest problem with Jap cars, is usually the kid behind the wheel. Usually they will brag about the "work" they have done on their car, bolting on aftermarket kits, but really are lacking in basic knowledge of how their engines work. I have found that around here most of them can quote exactley what aftermarket parts they have bolted onto thier car, how much the parts cost (because apparently there is some kind of prestige in who can claim to spend the most insane amount of money on a $500 car), how much hp the engine supposably puts out, how much wattage their stereo puts out, and can tell you all about their headrest TV screens and DVD player. I have also found that in most cases these very same people if shown a connecting rod, would scrath their heads and try to figure out what it was supposed to do. Most of these entusiasts like thier cars, but really lack any kind of basic knowledge, but want to claim they know all about their car, and that really annoys me, not to mention the exhaust that sound like they stuck a coffee can on the end of their tail pipe.

MattP
11-01-2004, 05:31 AM
The gaudy body kits that look like they cause more drag than anything else, the stereos that bump so hard that the only thing anyone can actually hear is the buzzing vibration of the afore mentioned cheesy body kits and that terrible exaust note are my biggest gripes.

As far as the cars themselves, I have owned a Civic and actually liked the little thing. The pedals feel a bit too odd to do any serious driving with them, but I am sure that would be adjustable. But for basic transportation, they really aren't that bad of vehicles.

BTW. I wonder if one of them actually knows what those huge gosh awful tailfins they put on are actually supposed to be for. I know and respect them in context. The back of a civic is not context.

steve99
11-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Walt and Matt just pretty much summed up my two cents as well. That and a four cylander ricer with some sort of aftermarket exhaust making it loud, and some kid who loves the sound of it, when it really sounds like some sort of a sick cow.

Steve_S
11-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree with what has been said already. Japanese cars are typically well built and well designed. Problem is the owners. The mentality of yellow=fast and spoiler=fast and huge tip on the muffler=fast is annoying. All these kits do is make the car unstable at speed. But the real problem is the mentality that fast car=good driver. These guys cause real problems for the flow of traffic and don't do much to help prevent road rage. There is a time and place for driving fast and my neighborhood is not one of those places.

I'm all for a car that looks different, but most of the "ricers" slap on horrendously overpriced plastic parts and claim their car is now fast. Pretty lame IMHO.

aerog
11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
You're forgetting the extended-axle/go-kart-tire equipped ones with all the other equipment, plus whopping subwoofers guaranteed to blast through concrete bunker walls 1/2-mile away.

Super 7
11-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I like the cars that were successfully used in production class racing back in the day.

I've got a soft spot for Datsun 510s, they were pretty close to a BMW 1602/2002 under the skin. I like the 1200 too, but I don't think a 1200 would be powerful enough for the street.

The original Toyota Corona styling has really grown on me.

Of course, I have always liked the Civic line and the small Acuras. I guess the holy grail to me in a Japanese sedan is a RWD Corolla with the 16 valve engine. Who could dislike a Miata? Who hates Mr 2?

Body kita and super giant tires don't help a car perform a whit better than it did from the factory. They are a waste of money in my opinion. Those who spend their money on such a waste, as opposed to putting it in performance and handling, look very stupid to me compared to those who spend the money on performance.

Darcy
11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I don't hate Japanese cars... I don't really care for them though... But that's because I don't know much about 'em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I do hate modded Japanese cars. These guys pretty much said everything I would of said

It's the gross body kits, the Canadian Tire exhausts, the rap/techno, and the hardcore kid image the drivers think they have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

No one needs to hear the sh!t these kids listen to, and while watching some T.V. in their house, people shouldn't have to listen to an '88 Civic with a Folgers coffee can TRY and parallel park /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I can't believe how my generation think that with a $3k sound system you're a car enthusiast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

I hate my generation, and I'll not give an ounce of respect to any Ricer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Salyers890
11-01-2004, 05:30 PM
wow, look at the contempt, lol. I used to feel the same way about the bolt-on modding community, and to some degree i still do. my cousin has a mitsubishi lancer with the whole 9 yards. candy green metallic paint, custom red interior with matching green accents, loud exhaust and stereo, not too much power. when i saw it i almost threw up.
when i started talking to him about it, it changed my view of his intentions. He just got an EVO engine with a stage 4 turbo and AWD trans and is going to transplant it into his car to get it ready for some racing. he does the speed limit on the streets and turns down his radio at stop lights, but he plans on hitting the track with a vengeance. He is rebuilding (by himself) this engine using only quality racing parts. later i find out he and a friend did the paint job and interior. this kind of thing is great i believe. imagine if parts for our cars were as widely available as their power-mods. he picked up an old lumina to drive in the winter which further shows he's dedicated to his hobby.

with that being said, what i have to laugh at is the kids at my school in chicago that lower their cars and put bodykits on. walking through the parking lot, i see the same cars evolving into these 'ricers'. then the first snow comes and they're all plowing the streets with their 2000 bodykit. by the end of winter, 50% of all the ricers have damaged or missing front bumpers.

Mickey Richaud
11-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Agreed - I seem to remember a certain teenager with a '62 Corvair - black with red interior. Put red racing stripes on it and terrorized the neighborhood. Then came a '63 VW with a sunroof, to which was added wide mag wheels and tires on the rear, and blacked out the inserts on the front trunk lid. The adults thought it pretty ridiculous.

Point is, we all have to start somewhere, and we oldsters sometimes have short memories.

Mickey

MattP
11-01-2004, 09:05 PM
I guess that I can still ride my high horse. My first car was a 69 Buick Electra. I got it when I was about 14 and was working on bringing it back from the dead. But all my plans for it were old school even then. (Mid 80s) Mainly I wanted to keep it quiet. Nothing like a big engine loping quietly to itself. I particularly liked my 67 chevy with an .030 over race cam and dual exaust with turbo mufflers. You couldn't hear it coming, but if you were behind it at a light, the torque over on the lope and the quiet whoof, whoof, whoof, said far more than any coffee can ever could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

TypeRboy
11-02-2004, 04:33 AM
I think most of you are missing something important. It was all well and good that in our day cars were easily identifiable as to brand, model and therefore horsepower or status. You could buy a car off the shelf that stood out and made you feel special just driving it.

Not so much the case nowadays. Cars are looking more and more alike, with similar performance, in other words no character. Most of these guys are just trying to personalize their cars, to make them reflect more about who they are. And they are definately not you or I, they are born in a different time and have had a very different upbringing than us. They mostly think that we are just as silly as we think they are for toying with all those little old cars.

The big thing to remember is that at least they are keeping the love of cars alive in their time, and are forcing the manufactures to to try to spice up their current crop of offerings to appeal to a more diverse market ( We are starting to see some pretty cool stuff from the pacific rim and Europe again..)

Just because you only like Mozart doesn't mean rock and roll is bad...

And no our Type R is not riced in any way...

MattP
11-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Yeah, but the question was what we didn't like about the cars, and that is it. Thankfully, our disapproval isn't worth the fertilizer it is made of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

The only real problems arise when thier "individuality" infringes on everyone else's rights through the poor driving and painfully loud music usually associated with them. The rest is mearly annoying. Very annoying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

For the record I like both Mozart and Rock and Roll. I have even lately found a small appreciation for Country. I still hold Rap music in contempt, but again that isn't even good for spreading on the roses.

Randi
11-02-2004, 01:02 PM
My problem with the round rockets is they all look the same-hence add ons(!) but when a 17 year old is driving a car that does 200mph with not much driving experience ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats when the the nightmare begins! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

UltimateQuestion
11-02-2004, 02:44 PM
At least they are good for comic relief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif I get a kick from the wings that look like they came straight off a TRANS AM race car or a Plymouth Superbird grafted onto a little tiny car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

waltesefalcon
11-02-2004, 05:47 PM
TypeRboy,

I fit right into the young generation of car enthusiasts (I'm 23), and I probably hate ricers more than anyone else here. To me making your car look just like everyone else, by adding a half ton of fiberglass to the bottom half of the car, and a gigantic wing to the deck lid does not make your car have charachter. In fact I basically see the whole culture of ricers as being posers who would rather brag about what they claim their cars can do than work on them. I don't know about you guys but I consider myself an enthusiast, and I for one would rather be in the garage working on either of my Spitfires so they will go faster or handle better, then out bragging to my buddies about how fast it is.

Super 7
11-02-2004, 06:18 PM
I entered an "All Import drag racing event in 2000 just to see what it was about. There were a few hot cars. A turbo CRX with an Integra motor ran in the 11's, and it had license plates. I don't know how many of you know how bracket racing works, but basically, you do some practice runs, then you post an ET on your windshield which is your "Dial in" number. When you go to the line, the car with the slower "Dial in" gets to leave first, by the difference in the two cars dial in, the theory that they should arive at the end at the same time if they both have "perfect" runs. There were a lot of Accords, Civics and Integras which had dial in numbers on their windows several seconds quicker than they could run, aparently the theory being that you could run around town all week with 13.65 painted on the windshield, never mind that you ran an 18.2, you still wowed them down at the arcade.

My Cortina 4 door ran a best of 16.80. I made it to the 5th round before I was eliminated (You are sent home if you are beaten. Half the field is sent home in each round, so surviving 4 rounds isn't that bad.) Most of the 4 cars I beat let me leave first, then I beat them on raw time any way.

The quickest cars there were a couple of VW bugs and two supercharged RX3's. The Honda people scoffed at them calling them "Old School".

Lots of posers, even at the drags.

Next time I try it I will at least run my grippy tires and take the roof rack off. Except for the bugs, I had the only pushrods there.

steve99
11-03-2004, 12:33 AM
I agree that these younger guys come from a different time, and upbringing than most of us do, however, that does not justify (some) of their behavior, as for the awful loud music I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I was also guilty of offending the neighbors when I was younger, in fact I would have killed to have a steroe that most of these cars have.

sunbeammadd
11-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm not particularly interested in Japanese cars but for me it's more that I find them lacking in character. I much prefer classic British & European machinery.

In defence of the "ricers" though, in my part of the world they've got nothing on the muscle car crowd when it comes to irresponsible driving. Owners of GM's Holden Commodore are by far the worst. Low prices mean lots of kids wind up with second hand ones as a first car. They're powerful cars, particularly in V8 form, and these kids with little experience think they have what it takes to be the next Bathurst winner.

There's my rant for the day!

Randi
11-04-2004, 01:34 AM
But at least they are metal! ( Ah-the good old days!) I rolled my 68 Camero across the Hollywood freeway- I should complain about teenage drivers..........??!!bought the twin cam MGA after that and she is still the love of my life!!Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

MattP
11-04-2004, 03:02 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifI have to agree. The cars take a lot of flack based on the stereotypical attitude usually associated with them. Regardless of the vehicle, irresposibility behind the wheel, and in life in general is the true issue.

That's my rant for the day.

TR7/8 TPI
11-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Like others have said, Japanese cars are fine. It's the posers and mutts that give them a bad name.

One of my favorite cars is the 88-89 Mitsubishi Starion ESiR(Chrysler Conquest TSi). I have owned 13 of them. It's one of those cars where you pull in to get gas and people come up asking what it is.

Ricers(posers) are the same from generation to generation. They have no mechanical ability or knowledge and basically just want a car that, they think, others will think is cool. They add body kits that are heavy and big wheels that are heavy and stereo systems that annoy the **** out of people and kill their alternators. They never try to hone their driving skills and, any real performance mods are just bolt on and they have no idea what it does or why.

Kids will be kids and the sad fact is that most of them are stupid and lack taste. Don’t hold it against the cars that the stupid ones abuse.

While I was in high school, others were putting stereos and body kits on their Mustangs and Camaros while I was converting my 80 TR7 to a 305 HO Chevy and being driven to school by my parents. When I was finished, they all wanted to race me…………….they all lost!

R6MGS
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Although I am part of the ricer generation (15) I hate them more that I care to describe. The whole concept of them is just stupid, buy a cheap car with little factory performance and built for basic transport and then add as many brightly coloured parts as possible. The cars will never have any value or real performance. At 15 I am proud to be the owner of a 78 MGB and an 84 Camaro which I have no desire of moddifying much more. The MGB has a few cosmetic upgrades(see pic) and I plan to get a peco exhaust for it but not much more(maybe a supercharger later on??) The Camaro has a Magnaflow exhaust(gotta love that low rumble!) and a few minor little things(performance plugs, K&N filters ect.) and that the way it will stay. STOCK SOUND SYSTEMS IN BOTH CARS.Not that I have any personal experience in this time but to my understanding, in the "good ole days" if you were just a kid that wanted a fast car you'd find a cheap AMERICAN(or sometimes british) car that was already a car with realtively good performance(maybe a chevelle or Camaro)and learn how to work on it yourself, you'd read books, save your money, and basically became the car enthusiast that we are today. Now these ricers just buy the brightest and weirdest looking parts they can find, slap them on, and think they've created some sort of unbeatable Honda. If you take a look at some,not all, but alot of these the workman ship is horrible! Or they take things apart and never gewt it back together, I can't even remember how many ricers I've seen driving around missing door panels, bumpers, turn signals, and even hoods! The only pleasure I get from these cars is when I see them pull up to a real car and get smoked!

I guess I've rambled on long enough..........

Zack

sammyb
12-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I don't know what people have against "JAP" cars?
I've always loved Morgan three-wheelers!

coldplugs
12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very subtle.

Kurtis
12-16-2004, 10:12 PM
I love old Japanese cars... especially the old Datsun roadsters and original Z cars (I actually owned a 1977 280Z). I also liked the Toyota 2000GT.

My next car may even be an old 240Z. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sammyb
12-17-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very subtle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if anyone would get that joke...

The questions is: can anyone list the other engines offered in the Morgan trike?

aeronca65t
12-17-2004, 03:34 AM
Wow, *really* off topic. I guess this is "thread drifting" (or maybe it's "on-topic", since the sport-import crowd likes drifting).

Anyway....some early Mog trikes used Austin Seven engines. I'm sure they fitted Anzani engines too (who didn't, back then?)

The link below shows a Mog trike with an Austin four (I took it at Lime Rock in September).
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Lime_Rock_04/morgan.jpg

#8 in this group (taken at an earlier Lime Rock event) is a J.A. Prestwich-powered Mog.
https://photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/?action=view&current=limerockgrp.jpg

On a related topic, I'm never really sure if "ricers" or "rice-rocket" is a truly *nice* term....I know one of my Asian friends isn't that keen on it.
Nowadays, with so many Chevy Cavaliers, Ford Focuses, Neons and Saturns in the mix, "sport- import " doesn't seem correct either. "Tuner cars", I guess.

sammyb
12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Not really off topic, because it was a joke based on the fact Morgans used a bunch of engine suppliers, one of which was "JAP" ...

J.A.P. (J.A.Prestwich and Co. Ltd.) V-twin engines were used by the Morgan Company from 1909 onwards in form of the KT-series (Capacity: 980cc, bore x stroke: 85.7mm x 85mm), JT-series (996cc, 80mm x 99mm) and LT-series (1096cc, 85.7mm x 95mm) and either Air-cooled or Water-cooled, SV or OHV and in different stages of tuning.

J.A.P. KTW
A.C.U. Rating: 9.80hp.
Bore x Stroke: 85.7mm x 85mm.
Capacity: 980cc.
Weight: 90lbs.
Power: 26hp at 2600rpm.

J.A.P. JTOR
8/55 H.P. Racing Engine
A.C.U. Rating: 9.94hp.
Bore x Stroke: 80mm x 99mm.
Capacity: 996cc.
Weight: 133lbs.
Power: 55hp.

J.A.P. LTOW
the "Dog-Eared" Engine.
A.C.U. Rating: 10.96 hp.
Bore x Stroke: 85.7mm x 95mm.
Capacity: 1096cc.
Weight: 128lbs.
Power: 40bhp at 4200rpm.

M.A.G. engines have been used in the form of the 2C9A (Air-cooled, 993cc, 82mm x 94mm), 2C13A (Air-cooled, 1094cc, 82mm x 104mm) and 2C20A (Water-cooled, 1094cc, 82mm x 104mm). All are IOE engines with a cylinder-angle of 45deg.

M.A.G. 2C20A
A.C.U. Rating: 9hp.
Bore x Stroke: 82mm x104mm.
Capacity: 1094cc.
Cylinder-angle: 45deg.
Power: 26hp at 2600rpm.

From Blackburne (Burney Blackburne Ltd.) the engines of the type KMA, KMB (racing engine) and KMC (sports engine) have been used with good success. Many records have been gained with the Blackburne engines between 1923 and 1930 by Norris, Beart and Jackson.

Blackburne KMC
A.C.U. Rating: 10.96hp.
Bore x Stroke: 85mm x 96.8mm.
Capacity: 1098cc.
Cylinder-angle: 60deg.
Compression: 5.5 to 1.
Power: 40hp at 4000rpm.
Precision (1919)
Bore x Stroke: 85mm x 96mm.
Capacity: 1096cc.

Anzani M3
Bore x Stroke: 85mm x 95mm.
Capacity: 1078cc.
Cylinder-angle: 57deg.
Power: 40hp at 3000rpm.

Anzani 8-valve racing engine
Bore x Stroke: 85mm x 95mm.
Capacity: 1078cc.

Blumfield engine
A.C.U. Rating: 8hp.
Bore x Stroke: 85mm x 96mm.
Capacity: 1090cc.

The Matchless engines finally evolved from 1933 onwards. The MX was a SV, Water-cooled, 50deg V-twin with 27.5hp at 4000rpm. It was followed by the MX2, an OHV, Air-cooled engine with 39hp at 4600rpm. The MX4 was the Water-cooled version of the MX2 and claimed 42hp at 4800rpm.

Matchless MX4
A.C.U. Rating: 9.80hp.
Bore x Stroke: 85.5mm x 85.5mm.
Capacity: 990cc.
Cylinder-angle: 50deg.
Compression: 6.2 to 1.
Power: 42hp at 4800rpm.

The Ford E93A is an in-line 4-cylinder SV engine of 933cc (56.6mm x 92.5mm, 22hp at 3500rpm) or 1172cc (63.5mm x 92.5mm) and was used by Morgan only in the "F"-type models from 1933 until 1952, when the production of the three-wheelers came to an end.

Ford E93A
A.C.U. Rating: 10hp.
Bore x Stroke: 63.5mm x 92.5mm.
Capacity: 1172cc.
Max Torque: 36.4lb/ft at 2300rpm.
Power: 32hp at 4300rpm.

aeronca65t
12-17-2004, 11:31 AM
I am not familar with the Blumfield or M.A.G. engine. I've heard of Blackburne...forgot about that one.
I was going to also guess BSA, since they made a similar looking contraption.
By the way, the first car my Dad ever drove (in Ireland, in the late 30s) was a JAP-powered Mog trike.

Roger
12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
That doesn't look like an Austin engine to me - definitely not a Seven!

aeronca65t
12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't look like an Austin engine to me - definitely not a Seven!

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger:

You're probably right...the label that I gave that picture is unclear. It may be a small Ford flathead (What else could it be?).
By the way, if you notice in the picture, all the Morgan trike vintage-racers seem to use motorcycle tires these days!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Lime_Rock_04/morgan.jpg

adam90009
12-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm 17 and have to go to high school with all these guys who drive these civics and such. It's not as much the looks of the cars that bother me or even the exhaust note, it's the people don't know anything. Some buy was bragging about him beating another person in a race so I asked him what all had he done to his car to make it go faster......the responce was the wing and body kit. One of the guys I have a class with swears up and down that is a car has AWD then it will go faster than a 2WD car with everything else on the cars the exact same.

Bruce Bowker
12-17-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...swears up and down that is a car has AWD then it will go faster than a 2WD car with everything else on the cars the exact same.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question you need to ask is where? On a drag strip? On a gravel or dirt road course?

Bruce

Steven
12-17-2004, 01:38 PM
most people today know nothing about cars, or even the rig they're driving. They leave it up to the dealer to take care of problems. Cars today have become less user serviceable, and more complicated, and this has spawned a generation of people who defer problems to the so called "experts." It seems to me that this happened during the latter part of the 80's and through the 90's up until today.

Mickey Richaud
12-17-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the guys I have a class with swears up and down that is a car has AWD then it will go faster than a 2WD car with everything else on the cars the exact same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course, Adam. All four wheels are being driven, so there's less drag from wheels that are just rolling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Seriously, Adam, you have a great opportunity to inform them, since you've taken the time and trouble to learn the ins and outs by building a car yourself.

Mickey

norcalnewb
12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
FWIW, I think that some of the tuner car guys get a bad rap from a percentage who really are bad. I had a friend with a 97 Supra who had done all the work on the car himself and had it cranking 510 HP to the wheels. He was, and still is, very knowledgable of cars of all types as well as their inner workings. His car also had the stock stereo system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I was also a part of another forum dealing with Japanese cars that was full of people who were very knowledgable as well. Many of those enthusiast do their own work and know how to improve their cars. A running joke on that forum is that each sticker added to their car adds 5 HP. They had many of the same complaints as I have seen here as well.

sammyb
12-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Jim's right, there are a number of really great "import tuner" folks who really know their stuff. Supra, Z-car and Subaru guys tend to be very into the ins-and-outs of the mechanicals.

Cars are just fashion to most folks. They like a certain car, own a certain car, and modify it a specific way, because it's fashion (or counter-fashion.)

My father-in-law would shake his head and say nasty things about the kids with their Civics, saying that they were destroying the cars, reducing the value of the cars they own.

Then I asked him: "What was your first car?"

reply: "A '50 Ford Sedan."

Asked him: "What was the first thing you did when you got it?"

His Reply: "Removed the chrome."

"And what did your parents say?"

"That I was crazy and asked why I'd ever destroy the car like that."

Since then, he has taken more of my stance: "It's not my cup of tea, but it's no different than the hot rodding or muscle car crazes of the 50s and 60s."

Mickey Richaud
12-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Right, Sammy. Earlier in this thread, I talked about my escapades with a Corvair and a VW in my teens and early twenties. I'm encouraged that there's a new wave of interest in enhancing and individualizing what comes off the rack. (Wish I'd had some of the stereo equipment that's available now back when I thought adding a speaker behind the rear seat was the epitome of cool!)

Mickey

sammyb
12-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Absolutely...

Although, I'll never understand why the import tuner folks will spend $10K eeking an additional 100hp via turbos and nitrous on a 4-cyl, only to add 450 pounds in plastic body kits, stereo components, tvs, speakers etc...

Then there's the kid down the street that added a turbo and nitrous to the Acura 3.2CL his parents gave him for high school graduation (he works at a fast food place now, instead of college.) He has tons of body cladding too. He was telling me about all the upgrades, and I asked him if he upgraded the stock automatic tranny, and he said "nah." I explained that the transmission was built for no more than 225 hp, and he looked at me like he had never considered a tranny couldn't handle additional power.

He also challenged me to a drag race in my C5. (He asked how many horsepower it was, and I told him 350hp, so he said "We should race" while sporting that "I think I can beat you" expression.) I was going to explain that while he had close to 350hp in his car when at peak with nitrous, my 385 lb/ft of torque far outmatched that in his car, plus his Acura outweighed mine by a good 600-800 pounds, plus I had much more aggressive rear-end ratio, better gearing, better aerodynamics (not usually a factor at all, but with the huge wing on back, it would definitely drag above 60mph) ...

...but I just decided to say "okay we can go hit the drags, but I like to take my black Corvette -- the one in my garage...it has 498hp...can you run in the twelves?"

He just said "whooaahh man, that's awesome."

Kids.

jayhawk
12-19-2004, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jim's right, there are a number of really great "import tuner" folks who really know their stuff. Supra, Z-car and Subaru guys tend to be very into the ins-and-outs of the mechanicals.

Yep-- Just hang for a while with the Miata folks-- superchargers, stiffer sway bars, bigger brakes, etc

Cars are just fashion to most folks. They like a certain car, own a certain car, and modify it a specific way, because it's fashion (or counter-fashion.)

My father-in-law would shake his head and say nasty things about the kids with their Civics, saying that they were destroying the cars, reducing the value of the cars they own.

Then I asked him: "What was your first car?"

reply: "A '50 Ford Sedan."

Asked him: "What was the first thing you did when you got it?"

His Reply: "Removed the chrome."

"And what did your parents say?"

"That I was crazy and asked why I'd ever destroy the car like that."

Since then, he has taken more of my stance: "It's not my cup of tea, but it's no different than the hot rodding or muscle car crazes of the 50s and 60s."

[/ QUOTE ]

maynard
12-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Not too long ago, I was driving my Jag XJS V12 on the interstate when a tuner car (you know, with the big wing for drag and a coffee can muffler that sounds like a chain saw) passed me and sneered. I let him get a bit ahead of me and then punched it. I was going, lets say a bit in excess of the speed limit, no quite a bit, when I passed him. He tried to catch me but kept falling further behind. I really wished I could see his face. Just remember: My 12 trumps his four, and there is no replacement for displacement.

jaybird
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
I happen to own a 2000 Toyota Solara. And I have had a LOT of cars in my life, starting with a '66 Mustang. This is my first 'rice burner' and I will say, without reservation, that it is the single best car I've ever owned. I LOVE this car. And I've had a lot of cars I've liked. This car rides like a dream, runs perfectly, has not one squeak or rattle, and drives as good as the day I brought her home. With 66,000 miles on it. As far as my 'other car' goes, I'll probably never drive anything else.

So I'll raise a glass of saki to my ricer any day.

01-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Don't worry Jaybird, I'd hardly classify you as a "ricer", unless of course you mount a triple decker 5 foot high wing on the back of that Solara.

My best friend has a 97 Toyota Supra TT, which is pretty much the holy grail of cars in the ricer crowd. He's my age, and he's the envy of every 17 year old kid in his neighborhood. His car has a few mods, nothing extreme and no NOS, but last time we dynoed he was throwing down 450 to the wheels, with plenty of room to build yet. However, he is really the antithesis of the ricer crowd, apart from his car being slightly lowered (Eibach pro kit springs) and it having a larger than stock exhaust, you'd never know it was modified. This is, in my book, not rice. His car is tastefully done, not obnoxious, and just about all the upgrades done to it are in the interest of improved performance (suspension tweaks, brake upgrades, and the motor and turbo mods). He tracks the car regularly at Pocono and at the drags, so it's certainly not a show and no go kind of thing. I just wish all the kids had this attitude. Granted, they all don't have the money that an older, settled person with a career might have, but if you've got a few bucks in your pocket why not go with a more agressive set of brakes instead of a goofy looking wing or fart can muffler. If money is no object, of course I'd get all the visual stuff (a whole other issue here with these kids based on taste) to go with the performance bumps but if I'm on a budget I'd be going for the functional stuff way before the eye candy. Fitting the ricer label has everything to do with your attitude and what you've done to your ride because of that attitude, and little to do with the ride itself.

VitSport6
01-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I "got Rice"...Uncle Ben's!
My ricer goes the other direction, Being they are Landcruisers, We need bigger tires lift's and the like, But Im sure that is another thread.

lesingepsycho
01-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, I can say that I was definitely one of the for-runners of the 'ricer' crowd. When I was in HS, a honda was still just a cheap, economical and reliable car. My buddy and I started working on his '85 Accord Hatch making mods... but in the "old school" fashion. We didn't buy Eibach springs. We got out the torch. We didn't buy a fart can. We got some exhaust tubing and made the only side-piped honda that I've seen to this day. It was real creative performance mods that we thought of and executed on our own much as I imagine it was done back in the hot-rodder days/custom chopper days. All of our mods were based on the real science of driving.

Now days, I still like to think of myself as 'cutting edge'. Sure I'm back to driving my Midget (which was my car in HS but I couldn't really afford mods back then) but I still like to do my own ORIGINAL work. I've been experimenting with composite materials like carbon fiber. I've made a carbon fiber battery tray, carbon fiber air cleaner lid, and even some structural carbon fiber. In HS we had loud stereos because chicks "understood" that. Nowdays, I've deleted the stereo from my Midget, prefer to hear it purr.

I've seen plenty of guys who are knowledgeable tuners and on the other hand, plenty of people who catalog order a crate 350 for their PWT camaros so it's not an issue of ricer, american steel or british style.

I guess, bottom line, on the issue of ricers what it comes down to for me is that irresponsibility and stupidity are personallity problems, not car problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

TypeRboy
01-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Yea I guess I did some ricing too way back when I had a 73 Dodge Colt. I did the tourch thing on the springs, put glass flares on it, painted with blue flames ( the rest of the car was black..). I painted a rising sun on the end panel facia, and had Centerline look a likes for wheels. Orange shag carpeting and blue mood lights under the dash rounded things up nicely. I thought the car handled pretty well, and lot's of people liked the way it looked.

Mind you the crowd I hung with was a similar minded one back in the late 70's

The Celica's, 510's and Datsun 2000's ( 5 of them ) were all great fun, and kept me very poor making them go faster and racing at the now defunct Westwood circuit here in BC.

My Type R is still the best bang for the buck I have ever owned be it rice or not. When I spend the day fiddling with the Lotus or Cortina ( or whatever toy is not currently working ) it's very nice to get into a car that starts and runs like a Honda but feels and goes like a track car. A friend of mine has a turbo on his, as well as all the suspension stuff he needs to have fun on the track, and the car is a real eye opener to drive. Rice like that is fine by me..