PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Over-riders

DC-TR6
10-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know how to remove those ugly black rubber bumper over-riders from a TR-6??

---------
1974 TR6

bunzil
10-27-2004, 07:20 PM
It's relatively easy to do, and few do it - I don't know why. I removed mine from my 76 years ago and the car looks great. The over-riders are attached to an incredibly heavy gauged steel which is meant to transfer absorbed energy (an impact) back to the frame, not the chrome bumper. In order to accomplish this, the over-rider mount actually surrounds the bumper on the top and bottom. You can unbolt the exterior mount holding the rubber from behind the bumper. For the front bumper, if I recall, to get the remaining bracket that attaches to the frame you'll need to remove the bumper - make sure you use two people as the bumper is awkward and can dent the car if you are not careful. The rear over-rider brackets should be removeable without removing the bumper. TRF, Moss, and Victoria all show this clearly - especially for the rear. The only cosmetic problem that should remain are four small holes in the front bumper which can be cured by some chromed bolts.

You'll easily shave at least 80 lbs by removing all this junk.

Good luck

huck6
10-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow, that's sure easier than dealing with the "rubber bumpers" on the MG's.

TR6Stuart
11-03-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The rear over-rider brackets should be removeable without removing the bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this correct?
If the bumper wasn't taken off the body you can't remove the bracket holding the bumper to the underside of the car.

bunzil
11-05-2004, 04:34 PM
It's been a while since I've done this, but the diagram I'm looking at from Victoria clearly shows no direct bolt linking the over-rider assembly to the bumper, as opposed to the front which does. There's no doubt you can remove the rubber and its external bracket without removing the bumper however, it may be difficult, or impossible to slip the inner bracket around the bumper. In that case, yes, you would have to remove the bumper.

I'll say this again, use two people when removing the bumper, if it slips and hits the car, you'll be very sorry you began the exercise.