PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank help

TR7/8 TPI
10-23-2004, 08:15 PM
The tank from my 79 TR7 has a lot of goo inside it. The gas had turned to lacquer and looks like really thick syrup. I dont see any rust inside nor has any come out of it.

What would be the ideal way to clean it? I was thinking of taking it to a radiator shop and having it boiled out.

What do you guys think?

trrdster2000
10-23-2004, 09:48 PM
You have hit on the only good way and don't forget the line that runs to the fuel pump, it will be even be worse. When that's done get a good gas tank sealer, (most motorcycle shops carry this). Wayne

Bugeye58
10-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Wayne is right about this being the only proper way to do it. One of the radiator shops that I use also offers a gas tank sealing process, after they boil it out. I think it's called "Redcoat." It's worth inquiring about.
Jeff

ObiRichKanobi
10-24-2004, 09:42 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I have to agree...take it and get it professionally cleaned. When I got my car, the tank was so bad (rust and goo) that it clogged up the fuel pump, and caused me no end of headaches until I got it taken care of. And needless to say, when done a new fuel filter is in order also.

TR7/8 TPI
10-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys.