PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Car--Like floors or panels

KVH
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Is the consensus that you sand off all rust, then prime and paint; or

do you sand the rust, use a rust converter like MortRust, then paint?

Where does the converter come into play?

thx

tdskip
04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
This must be a hypothetical question since we all know cars don't rust in AZ, just like they don't rust in SoCal ;-)

OK - here is <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> take on it;

I treat floors and visible panels differently

Visible panels;

1) Wire brush down to clean metal in an area slightly larger than the rust spot.
2) Use a rust remover (carefully since you can mess up the still good paint)
3) Then use a rust converter that will take top coats
4) Top coat

Floors/frame (non visible sections)

5) Wire brush down to clean metal in an area slightly larger than the rust spot.
6) Use a rust remover (carefully since you can mess up the still good paint)
7) ZeroRust / POR15 / RustBullet / KBS

I personally have not had a good experience with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator over existing surface rust. The TR8 has been a rolling experiment and in my personal experience ZeroRust has performance much better than the Eastwood alternative. Now to be fair I'm about one formulation back on the Eastwood product (ie they claim to have changed it and made it better in the last 6 months) but still....

I've grown so found of ZeroRust that while I don't quite shower with it yet I am using it more and more and now use it increasingly on #3 as a primer since it takes paint just fine.

Is this what you were looking for?

jdubois
04-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I've grown so found of ZeroRust that while I don't quite shower with it yet

Lol. So what <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> you shower with to keep rust free??? Personally, I'm partial to Hoppes #9. Smells so good :wink: