PDA

View Full Version : Mark's "new" car

80spitlizzy
10-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Well I've done it......

I've been without a car for the last 5 winters since I replaced our second car with the spitfire. I finally convinced my wife that I <font color="red">need</font> a car for the winter.

Introducing The Schindel Brick (https://www.schindel.ca/volvo/)

A 1982 Volvo 242 GLT with very little rust (some surface rust on the rear deck little, rust through in the rear wheel well and a little bubbling under the windshield) The mechanicals are near perfect, all electrics work and she gone only 248,000 kms. That's hardly broken in for a Volvo.

If anyone here has advice or experience with a car like this I'd love to here it.

Sherlock
10-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Oooohhh...

The one with the turbo engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Not sure about the turbocharged Volvo's but as far as I know Volvo's have a very good reputation

MattP
10-17-2004, 03:14 AM
I don't know if this is one of the cars effected. (or even if it is true), but I have heard of a recall on similiar Volvos where the driveshaft can rub the gas tank causing a fire. As I say, I don't know the full veracity or even the applicability of this, so take it as you will. Either way looks like you have a good servicable car there. Enjoy.

aeronca65t
10-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Gee, looks like the box it came in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Just kidding: those things are great.
One of my friends towed a race-prepped 142 across the western US (with his family) about 8 years ago. He was going on a "racing vacation". When his tow vehicle (a Ford truck) expired, they put it on the trailer, and kept going! (he put his "dealer plates" on the Volvo).

Basil
10-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Volvo is to cars as Timex is to watches: They take a licking and keep on ticking! Congrats!

Bugeye58
10-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Mark, the '90 240DL Wagon I drive during the week has 460,000 miles on it, burns no oil, leaks none, and gets 29 MPG. I would say you found a decent ride.
I have two friends here who are absolute Volvo freaks. They both race non turbo 242's, as well. I'll ask tomorrow if they know of any bugs with your model, and let you know.
Jeff

80spitlizzy
10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I pick up the car Monday night. I'm out buying tune-up parts today. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and a haynes manual!

James, No turbo on this one. Most (but not all) of the GLTs had turbos. Mine is one of the ones without. The actual specs are posted at https://www.schindel.ca/volvo

Matt, I'll check into the driveshaft/gastank issue. Thanks for the heads up.

I can't wait to get her home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Super 7
10-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Will that 2.3 drop in where all of the 1.8 and 2.0 motors go?

I've been looking at 122's.

That car looks plenty reasonably priced, if the thing works OK.

80spitlizzy
10-20-2004, 12:09 AM
The "new" car website has been updated!

My New Car (https://www.schindel.ca/volvo)

Have a look if you're curious.

Bugeye58
10-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Mark, the Volvo guys aren't aware of any major problems with your new ride. The propshaft/gas tank issue was one that neither had heard of.
They were under the impression, as was I , that all the GLT's were turboed, though. That's what the "T" stands for.
Maybe it was a Canadian market thing.
Jeff

80spitlizzy
10-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for checking that out for me Jeff. The car is a blast. Can't wait for snow to re-discover my "drift" skills. I've been driving AWD/Traction controlled cars in the winter for too long.

As an aside -- the T in GLT stands for Touring not Turbo.

From Volvo World.

GLT - Grand Luxe Touring identifies cars with the sport trim level produced from 1981 to 1983. Some GLT's have the turbo engine, but not all of them. Among the special features are bigger anti sway bars, 15" mags wheel, small diameter steering wheel, accessory gauges, power mirrors, all black trims on doors and inside roof. They also have most of the accessory of the GL like power windows. Note that in the USA the non Turbo GLT have the same engine B21F has the DL and GL. In Canada the GLT came with the more pwerfull B23E used also on the GL at that time.

Cheers

Bugeye58
10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
I learn something new every day. Thanks, Mark. Now I have some Volvo information to hit them over the head with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
Oh, and they're racing 142's, not 242's.
Jeff

sammyb
10-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Cool man! These were the cars of choice when I was in high school...I should say these were the cars the country club moms had their kids drive.

One of my friends was arrested in one of these for going 90+MPH in a 55MPH zone (and passing on the shoulder etc...)

congrats...use her in good health!

Oh, and by the way...this post makes me a "Jedi Warrior" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

huck6
10-29-2004, 04:04 PM
I have had the pleasure of driving a 240 DL this week while my Jeep is in the shop (fender bender). The only thing holding me back from saying that I love the car is that it is an automatic. But, I do like it very, very much. It has only 167K and looks very nice. It's going to my niece as her first car once I am back on the road.

rulle7
10-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Being a Swede all I can say is;
242 GLT might be a Swede, but it ain't no turnip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gjh2007
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Mark:

Here's the site you need to visit: https://forums.swedespeed.com/

We are on our 4th Volvo, all wagons with the kids &amp; dogs. First 3 were bought used with 80-110k on them. Our last used was an '89 740GL wagon 5 speed. Bought it with 110k &amp; sold it for 1/2 what I paid for it with 250k. Was a sharp looking Burgundy that we used for everything from running kids around to making dump runs. It had more room inside than my '88 Range Rover. We now own a 2002 V70 wagon. Nice ride, got a great deal on a left over. Hope it lasts as long as our other ones, but somehow doubt it. Lots of great trick stuff out there for that vehicle.
Welcome to the Swedish Brick family!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif