PDA

View Full Version : Wow! 11 New Nortons Found

AngliaGT
04-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I missed out the first time,so I'll just get
a flight to Heathrow,and....

- Doug

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/black-side-down-new-nortons-found-in-belgium.aspx

EricG
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow-that is a sight to see-all those crates of new Nortons. I had a 750 Honda in 1975 when they were selling off what was left of the new Nortons for about $2000. A friend of mine bought one and I would smirk when he had problems with the electric starter or other odds and ends. But the sound of that bike was wonderful. 10 years after that I finally saw the light and bought my first Norton and never looked back. PS-still have my old Honda too!

vagt6
04-21-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd guess that those bikes, since this is so widely publicized, will go for pretty big prices. In the end you can probably restore one for less than these crate bikes will sell for.

It would be nice, though, to replace the rubber bits and take a nice criuse on a "brand new" Norton!

Cool, thanks for posting.

vettedog72
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Short story about my cousin and the Norton 750. The Norton was a late 60's and in great shape after my uncle and his son (my cuz) had worked it over. My uncle and aunt had planned to visit some places in Europe so the day had come to leave. My uncle called in his three sons and gave instructions about certain things including "Don't touch the Norton; don't even think about riding it until I get back." The oldest of the three was 15 and the other two did not even care that much about the motorcycle. However, the next day the 15 year old was in the garage cranking and cranking (no electric start on this monster) to no avail. No problem as he lived in a hilly part of Merritta, GA and in fact lived on the top of one of the hills. Yea, down the hill he goes and the monster started up with a roar. Maybe two or three minutes later he had it wreck but thankfully on injuries (physical ones anyway). It was down with a single cycle accident, no cars involved. To add a little insult to the incident it caught fire and burned up! (At that time it was not feasible to restore a burned bike.) Some how he got his friends to help him get the bike back up the hill and into the garage. He had to tell his dad about it and his dad was not overly forgiving. A couple of pounds of flesh came off the back side and none of the three boys mentioned the Norton again.The father has passed on now and they do lament the wonderful Norton.