PDA

View Full Version : Differential collapsible spacer

TR3driver
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Someone was having trouble with their late TR6 diff, after replacing the oil seal. I promised to scan the relevant instructions from the Stag ROM, since the TR6 Bentley lacks information about how to deal with the collapsible spacer. Unfortunately, I've lost track of the thread and the person I promised scans to ... can someone with a better memory help me out?

I'm not quite done, but should have it soon. Here's a teaser ...

HerronScott
04-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Randall,

That was Elliot in this thread.
Being Diff_icult thread (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/663782/Being_Diff_icult#Post663782)

Scott

Gliderman8
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks Scott....
Yes Randall.... it was me... gliderman8 (Elliot) :savewave:

In the interim, I removed the diff and played with the torque on the flange castleated nut. At this time the diff sounds a whole lot better.
I would still love to have the info though. You can PM me and and I'll send you my email address.... thanks for remembering!

poolboy
04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been wondering how you were doing, too, Elliot. I thought maybe you were just taking a break.

Gliderman8
04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I've been wondering how you were doing, too, Elliot. I thought maybe you were just taking a break.

Hi P'boy... as an update, since I've played with the torque on the diff flange, I've actually driven my car close to home. If you remember, I was in the process of installing the Toyota 5-speed when I ran into the diff problems. The Toyota conversion went fine, it actually shifts as smooth as silk.
I am planning on taking the car possibly tomorrow (rain here today) on the highway for one exit to see how it does when I get it up to speed (60 - 70 mph).
Thanks for asking!

poolboy
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
You got the leak stopped around the pinion shaft ?

Gliderman8
04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
You got the leak stopped around the pinion shaft ?

I am happy to report not one drop of oil on the floor... yipeeeee!
Now I'm waiting to see how the diff does when I take it up to speed.
Next question: Who do you reccommend I sent my speedo to to have it recalibrated with the new transmission?