PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6..paint vs not!

tr6nitjulius
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Excerpts from the 1995 book TRIUMPH TR6 by William Kimberly:
Not many knew what a Kamm-type tail was, they simply knew that the TR6 had one....Veering away from chrome adornments, as was the fashion in the late 60's, Bruce McWillams, Triumph's marketing manager in the states also suggested that the Kamm-type tail should be highlighted by being painted a matt black, irrespective of the body colour.

With that said it happened to me at time of 1st respray, got call paint job was done come take a look, big smile as I approached my 6 in paint booth, walked around the back and nearly fainted, the rear was painted same color as rest of body had to show via pictures and instruction how back should be painted. Second respray 10 yrs later different state informed them before hand.

Figured TR6 rolled off assembly line with redlines, rear painted black and reflector stripe on ragtop so for me least I can do to show my gratitude for what it's given me is to maintain those 3 items.

By no means am I a stranger to modifications/upgrades seen plenty nice 6's with blackwalls, and no reflector stripe on ragtop, but as it was a design feature that TRuly set TR6 apart from other TR's, fact it's the only TRIUMPH with the back painted black. By no means attempting to rag on a man/woman painting choice, but rather wondering Why? one chooses to either paint or leave rear painted same color as rest of body. Did they use to have a Spit, 4 or 250, Biscayne instead of a Impala SS, not get the memo? just curious feedback appreciated.

Andrew Mace
04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Bruce McWilliams is one of THE marketing geniuses of that era, and it's a good thing he was with Triumph at the time. Lots of info on him and his wife in Mike Cook's history of Triumph in America. And I pretty much agree with you about the TR6. Maybe it's because I'm so used to those features that anything else doesn't look "right" to me (especially a body-color tail, and most especially that on a light colored car)!

It probably is the only Triumph that ever came from the factory that way, but there was a quantity (some, many, all? I don't know for sure) of 1972 model-year Spitfires for the US that also had a blacked-out tail. From the few original 1972s I've encountered over the years (including two that I parted out years ago), it's something that might well have been done after the cars were unloaded at the various ports of entry, or else it might have been done at a regional distributor's facility. On the cars I've seen, it was done well but quickly (as in, taillights were not removed but apparently well and carefully masked off).

tr6nitjulius
04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the input, something in my head did say there was another TR with painted black rear, thought it may've been Stag, I've seen some great paint jobs on 6's and that same color back seems to take the air out of the experience, to date haven't had opp to talk with owner that chooses to stray from this unique TR6 design feature mostly because I didn't want to appear to be judging what they decided to do with their TR6 hopefully someone that's made that choice will kick some knowledge our way.

TR3driver
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Just curious, Julius, what color is the rest of your car?

tr6nitjulius
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Butterscotch (ButtaScotch) color derived from the British Paint Code #54 Saffron, after 1st respray in '90 which was nice but came out too light, at the second I had painter spray a 8x8 piece of scrap body panel, gave them my input they tweeted it and sprayed another 8x8 test panel which met my approval before painting my TR, chose clear coated gloss black for rear as opposed to factory matt black

booley
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I had a '72 GT6 that had the tail blacked out(matt). I always liked that look.

tr6nitjulius
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I know that look, works with the later GT6 that shared with Stag a similar looking rear, only know for sure it (matt black) was a model design/factory issue off assembly line with the TR6 ('69-'76)

tr6nitjulius
04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
TR6 has an arnate ability to handle colors that wouldn't look good on other vehicles, over the years the colors I've seen that had the rear painted same as rest of body, light blue, pimento, red, white, yellow, magenta, saffron/topaz, oddly colors that might pull off the rear/body same paint black or midnight blue both had factory designed matt black rear. I've snapped a pic or two of the uni-color and even seen one or two on this site, understanding it's TRuly none of my business what/how one chooses to paint their TR6 as it's such a personal thing, still feel someone who went that route will share their reasoning behind the choice, of course what's revelant here they own a TRIUMPH and the input is sought from a knowledge rather than ridicule stand point.

vagt6
04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
FWIW, Triuph GT6s had the windscreen surround painted the same matte black color as the TR6 tail. I believe it was a fairly short run of MKII 1970 GT6s with the black windscreen surround.

Seems that matte black was quite the rave at the Triumph factory for awhile . . . I actually like it and think TR6s without the black rear just don't look right.

Of course opinions may vary . . . :yesnod:

poolboy
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Ol'Basil. Take your shots, boys.
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/100_0346rearshot-2.jpg

tr6nitjulius
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
poolboy: Appreciate the response, I ain't mad at you, we share the same luv/hate relationship with our TRIUMPH, allow me to restate the Intent of this post is not to take shots at anyone's decision to paint rear same color as rest of body, in as much as, perhaps gaining insight on why they made the choice, be it; it was like that when they bought it, like the look better, etc. understanding paint choice/style is such a personal preference simply wanting feedback, case in point, couldn't stand the color of my 6 when I first saw it the flat factory Saffron, wanted maroon with tan interior, after attending car shows saw lots of maroons, greens, whites, decided I'd stick with Saffron but added depth & richness to the paint per my personal liking hence the rear is a clear coated gloss black finish, cause for my TR6 I like the brand new shinny, bright & wet look both choices far from stock but they float my boat for 31 yrs and though I've made numerous changes/upgrades to enhance the performance I try to maintain the original factory theme in the areas listed in earlier portion of this post

Andrew Mace
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
FWIW, Triuph GT6s had the windscreen surround painted the same matte black color as the TR6 tail. I believe it was a fairly short run of MKII 1970 GT6s with the black windscreen surround.Mark, this was done "company-wide" beginning with the 1970 model year. It only appeared on 1970 Spitfire Mk3 and GT6 models because the body design changed with the Spitfire MkIV and GT6 Mk3 with the integral windscreen frame. Of course, since the same windscreen frame that had been used on those earlier Spitfires and GT6s was also used on the TR4-6, the matte black continued on the TR6 through the end of production.

I've long assumed that it was one of those cost-savings measures that was "rationalised" ("spun"?) as a styling improvement; it had to have been a few pence cheaper to spray all those frames the same matte black rather than have them sprayed body color with each body that went through, and it therefore probably made both car body and windscreen spraying processes faster and cheaper as well.

poolboy
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I understand your intent, julius. And my comment was open to anyone. I know how these Forums work. You put something (anything) up there and after that, it's public and subject to controversy. If I weren't willing to accept those terms, I wouldn't have posted the picture; in fact I thought it would add to the controversy.
Ol'Basil & Bill
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/wallpaper.jpg

tr6nitjulius
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I understand your intent, julius. And my comment was open to anyone. I know how these Forums work. You put something (anything) up there and after that, it's public and subject to controversy. If I weren't willing to accept those terms, I wouldn't have posted the picture; in fact I thought it would add to the controversy.
Ol'Basil & Bill
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/wallpaper.jpg

Gotcha! I'm one of those that come in peace, didn't feel it was directed at me as none of this is personal but rather informational, interested in creating food for thought perhaps someone is in the midst of a new paint job, and will use the various feedback to decide what they want to do to their 6, that's why we got 'em to satisfy urges to fix 'em like we like, see you likin' that green, nice rides, thanks for posting the pics. Julius

booley
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Poolboy, I think Ol'Basil looks good with those "bumperettes"

poolboy
04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks, booley. They're Cobra issue. Ol' Basil went to a new home about 2 months ago. He's only about 20 miles away and I retained visitation rights.
Ol'Basil, new owner:
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/PhilCrawford.jpg