PDA

View Full Version : tracing history

AnkwizTR3a
04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Does anyone have a link to the appropriate website to trace my 1959 tr3a history? Thanks

Geo Hahn
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
A starting point is your car's 'birth certicate' that will detail build info, etc:

https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/s...age-/index.html (https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shop/heritage-certificate-technical-specification-package-/index.html)

Nice document though if that's too pricey, some of the info can be deduced or eatimated by posting the commission number.

If you mean tracking down prior owners -- that is a real hit or miss thing. I did this by a combination of MVD searches and talking to prior owners about where they got the car. Only worked until I got to a guy who bought it off a used car lot in Indianapolis in the mid-60s, then it was a dead end.

Too bad as the BMIHT cert siad it was originally delivered to Cal-Sales in LA so I'm missing the tale of how it got to Indiana.

AnkwizTR3a
04-07-2010, 12:15 PM
thank you very much - i will try that lead...Chris

RJS
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I am actually quite interested in this too. I have owned my car for 10 years this summer and would really like to document it's full ownership history. I bought from a gentleman here in CT who had performed the restoration himself. Plan on contacting him soon. Also, I have the BMHC which says the port of entry was Vancouver, BC! So, somehow it got 3,000 miles from west coast to east coast.

Any tips/ advise welcome

Bob

UmmYeahOk
04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
If you mean tracking down prior owners -- that is a real hit or miss thing. I did this by a combination of MVD searches and talking to prior owners about where they got the car. Only worked until I got to a guy who bought it off a used car lot in Indianapolis in the mid-60s, then it was a dead end.

Can you please explain that step further?

I haven't got a certificate yet mostly because Im waiting till the cars more or less restored. My car was last titled in AZ, but I don't know where to go, who to contact. Can they run vehicle inquiries on it even though computers really weren't used back then?

Geo Hahn
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Before there were computers... there was microfiche. The problem is that they usually don't keep this stuff forever. I did my microfiche search in the early 80s and tracked it back to the late 60s, then some word-of-mouth.

Good luck with AZ -- our state government is pretty much disfunctional (financially broke) with rest areas and state parks closed and the State Capitol and other properties up for sale.

Since most of the AZ car owners are in the Phoenix (or possibly Tucson) area you might start with the Triumph club in PHX -- Desert Centre TRA -- and see if someone there recognizes the car.