PDA

View Full Version : I know its early but...

KSIS
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Any one looking at Watkins for the vintage races? Since I am 20 minutes down the road, I would like to open my doors and more specifically my garage/tool box to any who may need it. A traditional Korean meal, Kimchee included.

PeterK
04-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm a Kimchee lover. Hard to pass up (homemade?) Kimch.

Minesweeper
04-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey, that's only five months from now! That's a gracious offer, KSIS. I'm about 15 minutes on the other side of Watkins from you (near Trumansburg). When the date is closer, maybe we could designate a gathering spot for fellow BCFers, and/or post cell phone numbers for us locals that have tools and garage facilities nearby?

Scott

tdskip
04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
This is one of the thigns that makes the forum great....

KSIS
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
PeterK- Have a jar fermenting in the garage as we speak!

Minesweeper- I was at turn 1 infeild last year next to the green/yellow Lotus!
Lots of room there, sit right up front by the fence.

I agree we should designate a spot! I envision a large group of BCFer's! If we can promise a good turn out each year why cant we begin our own little Ralley (like the Glenora) and try to get in the laps of the track then down town parking....

Minesweeper
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I like where you are going with this!

Speaking of laps of the track, opening weekend is April 24-25 and you can take three laps for $25 (proceeds go to a charity). They are paced laps though -- max speed is 55 and no passing. I won't be going to that event since my front suspension is strewn across the garage floor.

Scott

booley
04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I used to sneak into races at the Glen back in the seventies, then they came up with the idea of giving everyone wristbands...

tomgt6
04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Now all you have to do is wait for someone to pass out and take the band off their wrist before you get caught.

DrEntropy
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I used to sneak into races at the Glen back in the seventies, then they came up with the idea of giving everyone wristbands...

:lol:

Ahhh, th' Good ol' days. Men were men an' th' Bog wuz MUD. :jester:

toysrrus
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Folks,

Where is "Banjo"? He lives in Horseheads or nearby there.

I`m surprised he has`nt chimed in here yet.

Russ

booley
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Ahhh, th' Good ol' days. Men were men an' th' Bog wuz MUD. :jester:

If'n only I could remember those days, that Bog wuz murder!!

mallard
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Boy I would love to go to the Glen again. It's been such a long time 1979-1980 for the Formula 1 races. Have plenty a great pictures from the Vintage race, and F1. Boy have the pitts changed since then. Also some very incriminating pictures of the Bog. My friends called me the Bogtographer. You never know I may look the group up.

KSIS
04-08-2010, 07:05 AM
I like where you are going with this!

Speaking of laps of the track, opening weekend is April 24-25 and you can take three laps for $25 (proceeds go to a charity). They are paced laps though -- max speed is 55 and no passing. I won't be going to that event since my front suspension is strewn across the garage floor.

Scott

We have our local group but they dont do much but weekend gatherings. Most endup at the track in the same turn and run the Glenora. I can ask around about starting a Ralley and old track laps. I have found out the Glenora Group parks down town and one of the other groups parks behing the Big Chicken Grill. I will have to scope out an area for parking. I'm sure permit and cooperation are needed.

I may go up for opening day but not do laps.

Minesweeper
04-08-2010, 07:46 AM
https://www.sixesandsevensfarm.com/Images/bogrg2.JPG

DrEntropy
04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
umm... '69 or '70? Can't recall.

Brazilian tourist luggage roast. :shocked:

Minesweeper
04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
umm... '69 or '70? Can't recall.

Brazilian tourist luggage roast. :shocked:

I think your recollection is correct about the bus being chartered for a Brazilian contingent there to cheer on Fittapaldi, but it was the '74 US Grand Prix ... not to imply that vehicle torching was a one-year event though!

DrEntropy
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Okay then!! I missed it. Emmo was on his way to being the youngest ever World Champ that year? Or was he already defending that distinction... I spent it in Thailand. :wall:

Also missed the last GP at the Glen ('79 or '80?). Had the GTV knocked out from under us on the way outta town. DNF'd. :madder:

mallard
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I think the last race was in 1980. I was there but can't remember who won. Here are a few shots I took of the Bog. Quality is not very good.

mallard
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
To dumb to close the door

mallard
04-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Check out the bottle of Jack

mallard
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
That night there was a Corvette that was park on the other side of a cable barrier that out lined the Bog. They picked it up over the cable and burned it. Tear gas came next. I understand why that was the F1 race at the Glenn. What a shame.

aeronca65t
04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Those were nutty times. There was a lot of other things going on besides car-burning. :devilgrin:

(great pictures above, by the way).

I was there to watch Jackie Stewart win in '68. Saw Rindt win the next year and saw Fittipaldi win in '70. We also went to some of the sports car / endurance and Can Am races at The Glen back then.

By the early '70s, I was student teaching, working and trying finish college so had to stop for a while (around '73, I started racing my Sprite, but mostly at Bridghampton....never drove the Glen until '03).

Here's ~A Link~ (https://www.glenphotos.com/bog) to some great Glen photos of the Bog.

~Here is a more recent video~ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbhdqS5dwZs) taken from my car (that's Michael O. from BCF passing me at the start in the white Elva with red stripes).

(my favourite part of this video is around 5:30......dicing with the Topolino Abarth, finally passing him and them running through the Boot with the old Volvo).

KSIS
04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
If these pictures represent us BCFer's, I think were in for one heck of a time!

Andrew Mace
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I think the last race was in 1980. I was there but can't remember who won....It was Alan Jones, for the Williams team. I remember it well, as I was fortunate enough to be working "false grid" for the F1 race, and we all got to "hang" in the pit area for the entire race.

I nearly got run over (literally) by Alan Jones (on foot!) after the finish. Spectators started streaming across the track upside of the finish line right after the frontrunners crossed. By the time they almost finished the cooldown lap, it was impossible for cars to drive through, so Jones and several other frontrunners abandoned their cars on-track and more or less ran for their lives to escape the spectators.

It calmed down quickly enough, and we workers got to help push the abandoned cars back to the Kendall garage. Oh, was that fun: there was virtually no way to easily push on an F1 car of that vintage, either because one had to reach at an amazingly uncomfortable angle to get to something to push on, or one risked burning oneself or running oneself over with those big ol' tires.

Fun memories....