PDA

View Full Version : Brakes???

AnkwizTR3a
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on brakes - currently the brakes are not operational, which kind does everyone use? Tr3a 1959

tdskip
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Not sure exactly what you are asking here, but most use stock brake calipers with pad and hoses that are readily available from Moss / TRF / Victoria British etc. Some have swapped over to Toyota brakes, but let's not go there quite yet.

What symptoms does your car have?

SkinnedKnuckles
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I went with the "green stuff" pads in the front. Kevlar, I think. Good pads, but a bit pricey.

TR3driver
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
The early disc brakes work very well, IMO, noticeably better than the smaller brakes found in (heavier) later TRs.

I have made a few changes to mine:
New Cunifer hard lines (Moss).

New Teflon/SS soft lines (TSi (https://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/tr3tr4a.html#TR4-BRAKES)).

'Kevlar' pads (also TSi).

Disabled the residual pressure valve (on top of the 5-way that carries the brake light switch).

Converted to DOT-5 (Silicone) brake fluid.

Mounted a mechanically operated brake light switch under the dash, so the brake lights come on <span style="font-weight: bold">before </span>the brakes rather than after.

Combined with the wide, sticky tires, the whole setup works very well for me; and I drive LA-area freeways every day. I don't seem to have any trouble stopping, even when the guy in front of me is smoking his tires (although people behind me do have problems).

mrv8q
03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd rebuild the rear brake cylinders, (if the bores are good), as well as the front calipers (I had mine done professionally). I'd also replace the brake lines, and rebuild the master cylinder, and investigate the 5- union brass switch. Hope that helps!

AnkwizTR3a
04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone- I went ahead with new wheel cylinders, green stuff pads, new lines, new rotors and drums, new calipers etc. I replaced everything. Working on emergency brake cable now - thanks again.

pjsmetana
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I would look into Porterfield Brake pads/shoes before the Green Stuff, but hey... you gotta start somewhere.