PDA

View Full Version : Gauge restoration

Yeahbaby
10-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Well folks I'm going to try and restore the gauges myself. I need to know what font to use for the SMITH logo and the numerals.

I plan on making a silk screen in order to redo the gauge faces. I will powder coat the black and the white interior then silk screen.

I don't plan on reinventing the wheel if someone else has done this, so any ideas or tips are wanted with open arms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geo Hahn
10-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Wow, you are ambitious.

You might want to mention what car this is for though the fact that it is a 'Smith logo' tells me it isn't TR3. Can't recall if the TR4 has Smith (not with me at the moment).

trrdster2000
10-10-2004, 10:05 PM
WOW, great idea. you do know if this is a decal you will be able to sell a bunch on Ebay because the gauges are very difficult to even clean without the white coming off in places. WE all look forward to see how it goes. Wayne

Yeahbaby
10-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Sorry, they are silk screened. A buddy of mine also gave me his 2 cents worth, use flourescent white and put uv led bulbs in them. He said they should be as bright as daylight, we'll see about that one.

pvergon
10-13-2004, 03:00 AM
let us know when you finish your project, cause i would really like refresh mine. thereŽs a company in the UK if it helps at all, perhaps youŽll find some information about it on their website: https://www.speedograph-richfield.com/

i quoted previously and they charge a whole lot of money to restore these gauges, so let us know if you find a cheaper way to do it.

saludos,

paul.

jayhawk
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I've already pulled my fuel gauge because the glass and the needle were broken-- the face was not badly corroded but everything was dusty and needed gentle cleaning. It looks very nice and now makes the othes look even worse-- My question for the experienced here was how to get the face back on after that tiny, thin seal comes off in 5 pieces? Did you make another seal from a rubber band or something?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mickey Richaud
10-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi Jayhawk -

Like you, I pulled my gauges apart - delicate little devils, aren't they? I put mine back together without the seals (and also without the celluloid covers for the lights, which were badly yellowed anyway). Just crimped the bezels down a bit more. My TR3 sees little weather, so I wasn't too concerned. At some point, I may have all the gauges rebuilt properly, but didn't have the extra cash at the time. So far no problems...

Mickey

jayhawk
10-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes, indeed delicate-- I grafted a new needle onto the existing stub that was left on the old one. Took me about 2 hours for the operation to be successful and work. Forced me to clean up that gauge and its lights and clean up the other lights in the center dash. Like you, I tossed the dirty ol' plastic thingys-- plan to cover the whole back with plastic to keep dirt out. Can't wait for the rest of the guages to be cleaned up-- just from the cleaning of the fuel gauge I get lots of light coming from underneath the dash-- won't need interior lights after all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trrdster2000
10-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Most auto stores have a large asortment of 'O' rings and that is were I found mine. Wayne