PDA

View Full Version : another almost stranding

jvandyke
03-11-2010, 12:23 AM
So I diddled with the speedo, had to test drive, 10:30 pm but unusually warm, got about two house over and it just won't go. Barely running, uh oh. Coast over, open hood, happy to have remembered a flash light. Check choke cable, may have hung causing over rich, nope, check accelerator cable, may have come loose (been there before), nope. Stop and think.....fuel starvation. I wonder if the moron turned the fuel pump switch back on. Nope. After that, lovely 10 mile run. The nut between the steering wheel and seat often comes loose I find.
I used to do this so often in my Opel I rigged a light to come on when the pump was off, idiot light all for me.

JPSmit
03-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks for confessing - I love these boards.

I have the same problem here, the DPO is not so much the problem but the DCO is driving me nuts!

vagt6
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I had the first "near stranded" moment in my Midget a few weeks ago. The car's been running like a top, everything near-perfect after extensive going-over this winter.

About 20 miles from home, engine just died and it seemed like fuel starvation. Disconnected fuel line before the carb filter, VOILA! Turned on ignition, let the fuel stream out for about 15 seconds (glad no one was smoking), got a nice, clear stream and hooked it back up.

Ran like a top again. Strange. I have a new-ish fuel tank, carbs rebuilt not too long ago.

I love easy fixes. :yesnod:

jvandyke
03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
So far I've been lucky. All my roadside mishaps have been quickly diagnosed and solved and was back on the road in minutes. Knock on wood (good reason to install a wooden steering wheel or shift knob for ease of knocking). Unlike a motorcycle break down I had hundreds of miles from home, couldn't figure it out, had to hunt down a U-Haul truck, load up the bike drag it home, take the truck back, pay the $$$, ruin the trip. THEN I remembered a shotty ground I had "fixed", had the bike operational in 5 minutes......dork.

vagt6
03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Over the years, I've also mastered a few "calming" techniques that can really make a bad (breakdown) day go better. After all, LBC breakdowns are all part of the journey. :yesnod:

Purchase/restore/drive/fun/breakdown: all are parts of the journey and all may be enjoyed.

Considering all the joy I've derived from driving these cars for so many years, a breakdown here or there is truly insignificant. You lose a few hours, but gain hundreds more in fun/friends/pleasure that comes with owning the car.

Darn good tradeoff IMHO. :thumbsup: