PDA

View Full Version : What's For Dinner?

Mickey Richaud
03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Kenny hasn't been around to prime the pump, and it's been a while since we've posted the latest culinary choices.

After red beans and rice last night, tonight I'm fixing rainbow trout topped with crawfish etouffee. Washing it down with a local white wine.

HOO-WEE! :banana:

GregW
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm eating lunch right now Too early to even think 'bout dinner.

Basil
03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I miss Kenny!

DNK
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Carne Asada enchiladas

Steve
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Chicken curry with naan bread.

coldplugs
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
It's called "supper" here. Lobster last night, ribeyes tonight cooked over wood, some Julia Child extravaganza tomorrow, and then nuts, seeds, and greens all week to ease the cholesterol counts.

Where's Kenny?

Stewart
03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
pizza beer and hockey tonight

SilentUnicorn
03-06-2010, 08:16 PM
bacon Sausage pizza+and a beer

m

DrEntropy
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Chili.

texas_bugeye
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Stuffed green peppers with a nice cheese bread crumb crust on top

Basil
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I've been working on re-shelving the pantry all day and haven't had anything to eat yet except some Oreo Cookies!

JPSmit
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
went out for dinner tonight with friends, went to a fabulous brewpub, great burger, assortment of beers, great company, beautiful wife, it was great! went to the distillery district - was once the largest distillery in the world, we'd never been there before but it is amazing!

https://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/frameset.html

Darwin
03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Steak, eggs, toast, garden salad, and a side of cottage cheese.

03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
went out for dinner tonight with friends,

beautiful wife,

I hope we talkin' 'bout yours.

Mickey, use of anything other than speckle or red fish is sacrilegious. Now go in the box.

I do forgive you though if you send me some. :thumbsup:

Basil
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I emailed Kenny - he hasn't logged in since May 09!

William
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Mac n cheese, with Italian sausage in it. Real mac n cheese, made with actual cheese from scratch, not Kraft dinner.

-Wm.

Mickey Richaud
03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Mickey, use of anything other than speckle or red fish is sacrilegious. Now go in the box.

I do forgive you though if you send me some. :thumbsup:

Yeah, well specks and those lovely fish with the spot on their tails aren't too common up this way. :wink:

The rainbows were exceptional, however!

And if I do say, I make a MEAN etouffee - WOW, was that GOOD!

MadRiver
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Wow, I must say, we all eat pretty darn well!

I've got a pot of Egyptian ful mademas on the stove. I first had this on a business trip last month to Cairo and it is delicious! It's lentils, fava beans (though I'm deviating a bit and trying it with soybeans -- it's what was in the cupboard),garlic, lemon, cumin, olive oil and a dash of cayenne. You let it stew for a few hours, and you can eat it straight or with some pita.

I'm also planning on making stuffed yellow peppers. Found this great recipe online -- mix a can of black beans, a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, diced carrots, and half an onion and let it stew for a while. Stuff the pepper with alternating layers of the beans/tomato mix and brown rice. Oh, and of course, top with a bit of grated cheese once they've been in the oven for a half hour or so. Out-bloody-rageous!

B.

TR6BILL
03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
We ordered take-out because I was working on my son's kitchen countertops and ate outside on a beautiful New Orleans spring-like day. Ordered from Crabby Jack's in Jefferson Parish (run by the owner of Jacque's Imo in New Orleans). Got a mixed bag of three different things. The <span style="text-decoration: underline">turkey poboy</span> was crap, literally threw it away. The <span style="text-decoration: underline">fish tacos</span> were fair, I make better at home. But the <span style="text-decoration: underline">giant cabbage roles on a bed of cheese</span> were to die for. Slap yo mamma!

TR6BILL
03-08-2010, 06:20 AM
And if I do say, I make a MEAN etouffee - WOW, was that GOOD!

Mickey, try this twist on etouffee...Crawfish Stew.

Melt two sticks of butter (don't <span style="font-weight: bold">even</span> think about using Oleo!) in a large iron skillet (ok, you can use aluminum or stainless if you must) and on a slow fire cook down a small can of tomato paste (<span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> tomato sauce) till the paste cooks down into small burgundy (like the street) BBs. The tomato, when well cooked will break down into sugar, if you will. When fully cooked, add your Cajun trilogy till they blanch, then mix in half a cup of flour, cook a bit longer (not making a flour roux, but a tomato paste roux, the flour is the thickener). Add enough water to make a rather thick gravy and cover to simmer for a while. When cooked, add your crawfish tails, 2-3 pounds, season to taste (Tony's) and cook some more till the tails are done. The crawfish will give off enough water to thin out the dish to a nice sauce. Serve over rice (if you use noodles, the Mardi Gras gods will descend on you). Slap yo mama and your aunt.

Mickey Richaud
03-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Bill - I may give that a shot. Although I must admit, I'm not a fan of tomato-based seafood dishes.

And I don't know what oleo is...

...and we don't "do" noodles. :wink:

TR6BILL
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Unless you are being facetious, oleo is the original name for margarine.

The beauty of doing a tomato paste roux is again, the tomato breaks down into sugar. Yum.

Mickey Richaud
03-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Unless you are being facetious, oleo is the original name for margarine.

The beauty of doing a tomato paste roux is again, the tomato breaks down into sugar. Yum.

Facetious, yes. We know what it is. That's why we don't use it.

And for me, tomatoes make dishes a bit acidic. But we'll give it a go.

Basil
03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Kenny Update. Someone here asked about Kenny (Pinkerton). I emailed him a few days ago and today I got a reply. Basically he said since they moved out to the stix, they don't have internet access and he is only able to check mail once in a while from work. He added, however, that he hopes to get satellite internet sometime this year. He wanted to let everyone know that he's still around and quoted Arnold: "I'll be back!"

Steve
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Good! I miss Kenny!

DrEntropy
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
YAY!

TR6BILL
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I am so old that I remember my mother buying oleo in stick form and it was white in color. The dairy industry forced the oleo manufacturers to not make it yellow like butter so you bought oleo with the powdered yellow color that you had to add to make it look like butter. That is how old I am.

TR6BILL
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I am so old that I remember using Kerosine lamps for lights and using the outhouse for the bathroom. Sears-Roebuck catalog and all. Never used corn cobs. We were too uptown for that. My mother used to drive around in the summer with the windows on her old Chrysler rolled up so the towns folk would think we had air conditioning in the car. Those were the days.

03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I am so old that I remember using Kerosine lamps for lights and using the outhouse for the bathroom. Sears-Roebuck catalog and all. Never used corn cobs. We were too uptown for that. My mother used to drive around in the summer with the windows on her old Chrysler rolled up so the towns folk would think we had air conditioning in the car. Those were the days.

My 87 y.o grandmother still calls it that. She also still has to break ice in the toilet and flush often when it gets cold.

I guess cruisin' back in the day w/ "simulated a/c" was the equivalent of the fake car phone antenna of the late '80's.

Ridin' windows up down here in the summer had to suck BAD !!!!!

I'll have to try the paste roux.

I can't rememeber that guy's name, but he owns Dick and Jenni's on Tchoup right down from Tip's also. I wanna say he owns the Maple Leaf too. I like the Leaf, but no one goes there anymore cause it's too crowded. :jester: