PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jefferson on Banking

angelfj1
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Such prophetic words!

"Our public credit is good, but the abundance of paper has produced a spirit of gambling in the funds, which has laid up our ships at the wharves as too slow instruments of profit, and has even disarmed the hand of the tailor of his needle and thimble. They say the evil will cure itself. I wish it may; but I have rarely seen a gamester cured, even by the disasters of his vocation." --Thomas Jefferson to Gouverneur Morris, 1791. ME 8:241

martx-5
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I have a file in my computer with quotes from Thomas Jefferson...

Here are a few of my favorites...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Delay is preferable to error.
Thomas Jefferson

It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.
Thomas Jefferson

The advertisement is the most truthful part of a newspaper.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct.
Thomas Jefferson

vagt6
03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Some say that Mr. Jefferson lives here still, and that the sun rises and sets on the lawn at UVA . . .

Having lived here for more than twenty years, and as a <span style="text-decoration: underline">huge</span> fan of Mr. Jefferson and the founding fathers, all of whom lived and worked near here (Jefferson, Madison and Monroe all had law offices in downtown C'ville), I tend to believe it! His works are everywhere around C'ville and a trip to Monticello never fails to inspire.

My wife (a UVA grad) and I visit Monticello two or three times per year. As the seaons change, the place is beautiful in the different seasonal views. If you've never been, you must try to go. There's no place like it on earth and you can feel his presence there, no doubt about it.

A giant among men, he was. :yesnod:

Basil
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a file in my computer with quotes from Thomas Jefferson...

Here are a few of my favorites...

I predict future happiness for Americans <span style="font-weight: bold">if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them</span>.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Are you trying to get me banned from my own forum? :shocked:

DNK
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Not a Jeffersonian,Boss?

I'm kind of a Jacksonian myself.
Find it ironic that he is on the $20 and he hated paper money.

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I think he ~is~ a fan of Jefferson, Don. THAT's th' problem. :smirk:

I know I had to bite MY digital tongue. :shocked:

Basil
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Doc is wise.

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
...tell that to Don.... :wink:

Basil
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
...tell that to Don.... :wink:

I think I just did.

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
:lol: :hammer: :cheers:

MadRiver
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
As a New Englander, I like and admire John Adams a whole lot more than Jefferson.

DNK
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Them's fighting words

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
They reconciled. :wink:

Basil
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

And both died the same day - exactly 50 years to the day of the date of our Independence, July 4th.

GregW
03-01-2010, 01:04 PM

And both died the same day - exactly 50 years to the day of the date of our Independence, July 4th.
Did they shoot each other?

MadRiver
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Adams' last words: "Thomas Jefferson survives."

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
And Jefferson's: "At least Adams still lives."

*sheesh* Y'd a thunk they'd-a texted one another. :jester:

coldplugs
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
My favorite Jefferson quote:

"But our machines have now been running for 70. or 80. years, and we must expect that, worn as they are, here a pivot, there a wheel, now a pinion, next a spring, will be giving way: and however we may tinker them up for awhile, all will at length surcease motion."(1)

He said this in a letter to John Adams regarding problems he was having with his Model A Ford.

(1)Cappon, Lester J. ed. The Adams-Jefferson Letters. Chapel Hill NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1959.

Mickey Richaud
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

"But our machines have now been running for 70. or 80. years, and we must expect that, worn as they are, here a pivot, there a wheel, now a pinion, next a spring, will be giving way: and however we may tinker them up for awhile, all will at length surcease motion."(1)

He said this in a letter to John Adams regarding problems he was having with his Model A Ford.

(1)Cappon, Lester J. ed. The Adams-Jefferson Letters. Chapel Hill NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1959.

Ummmmm.....

MadRiver
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
If memory serves, Jefferson actually drove a Model T.

Basil
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
If memory serves, Jefferson actually drove a Model T.

Did I wake up on a different planet this morning?

Basil
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Ummmmm.....

I'll see your "Ummmmm" and raise you a "huh?"

GregW
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Musta been an early prototype. :smirk:

coldplugs
03-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Ok - I might have made up the part about the Model A but the quote is legit.

DNK
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh man, I was like ,totally,believin you!

Mickey Richaud
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
OK, 'fess up: How many of you Googled or Wiki-ed TJ so see when he lived? :smirk:

MadRiver
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
OK, 'fess up: How many of you Googled or Wiki-ed TJ so see when he lived? :smirk:

I did, and was interested to learn that Abigail Adams co-drove an Austin Healey 3000 with Pat Moss in the 1961 Rome-Liege-Rome. Who knew?

Mickey Richaud
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow! And I thought it was the Mille Miglia!

MadRiver
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
And apparently George Washington drove a Dodge Charger. It said so on TV.

coldplugs
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Had ya' goin', eh? :cheers:

Actually I recently read a book ("The Billionaires Vinegar") that described a hoax based on a made-up story about Jefferson importing some wine from France. A bunch of bottles were "found" with his initials etched on them and were sold at auction for big bucks. (Oddly, over the next few years even <span style="font-style: italic">more</span> bottles were found - just enough to satisfy the demands of well heeled collectors who wanted to buy them.)

martx-5
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Some more on the Jefferson wine... (https://bordeaux-undiscovered.blogspot.com/2008/02/thomas-jeffersons-fake-wine-inspires-2.html)

This is why I drink beer... :thirsty:

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Had ya' goin', eh? :cheers:

Actually I recently read a book ("The Billionaires Vinegar") that described a hoax based on a made-up story about Jefferson importing some wine from France. A bunch of bottles were "found" with his initials etched on them and were sold at auction for big bucks. (Oddly, over the next few years even <span style="font-style: italic">more</span> bottles were found - just enough to satisfy the demands of well heeled collectors who wanted to buy them.)

That's almost more elegant than Bernie's scam!

DNK
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
You mean those two cases in the cellar are worthless??!!!

coldplugs
03-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Not if you market them imaginatively.

DrEntropy
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
:lol:

Prezactly! :thumbsup:

MadRiver
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM

And they'll still warm you up on a cold winter's night!

MadRiver
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM

In that case, I've got a bottle of fine ale brewed by famed Revolutionary War patriot Sam Adams that I'll sell for $150,000 cash. You can tell it's authentic -- it has his picture right on it!

bgbassplyr
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM

In that case, I've got a bottle of fine ale brewed by famed Revolutionary War patriot Sam Adams that I'll sell for $150,000 cash. You can tell it's authentic -- it has his picture right on it!

:confuse: You mean those are collectable! Darn, I had six of 'em but didn't know, and so I drank them.
Sheesh, day late and a dollar short...... :cryin:

GregW
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
All is not lost, you can get some money for the bottles at a recycling center. Here in CA, it is a per pound. Can't even buy a gumball for that now a days.

martx-5
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM

You can't fool me with that...I know better. Any beer that's been sitting for over 200 years is spoiled... :cheers:

JamesWilson
03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Ok - I might have made up the part about the Model A but the quote is legit.

Oddly enough, he and Washington just might have been able to drive about the countryside:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Oliver_Evans_-_Steam_carriage.jpg/260px-Oliver_Evans_-_Steam_carriage.jpg

A steam-powered amphibious vehicle was purported to have been built by Oliver Evans, one of America's foremost inventors from that era. He built the first fully mechanized factory (a mill) with lots of innovative elements in it. No feedback mechanisms though, so it could really be said to be automatic, but it was pretty radical, and labor saving....