PDA

View Full Version : An hour well spent

Paul Johnson
10-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Finally got around to pulling out the panel dimmer switch, taking it apart and cleaning all the contacts. Now the dash lights will be on bright or dim as I choose, rather than as the bumps choose.

Bill Redd
10-07-2004, 02:13 PM
You're taking all of the fun out of driving! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sammyb
10-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Yours actually dimmed? Mine are "off" and "on temporarily" depending on the bumps!

Paul Johnson
10-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Oh, Sam, you must then have the two position Lucas switch. I have the three position - dim, flicker and off.

tr6web
10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Mine is off or adjust for 10 minutes until it goes on. Paul, how complicated is it to take it out and apart to clean it?

Rick O.
10-08-2004, 01:57 PM
IMHO, the best solution is to simply bypass the dimmer. Why would anyone want to dim an already dim setup?

Trevor Triumph
10-08-2004, 10:25 PM
In related news... sort of. I believe a lot of the trouble with the electrical system can be cured with proper grounds. More than once the dealer wanted me to spend serious money to replace switches and nacelles when taking the stuff apert and cleaning seems to do the trick. And, it doesn't take so long, nor does it have to be done at one time. T.T.

Paul Johnson
10-08-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is off or adjust for 10 minutes until it goes on. Paul, how complicated is it to take it out and apart to clean it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pop off the knob, unscrew the retaining nut. Remove right kidney pad. Reach up to extract the switch and disconnect the two wires. Back of switch has three tangs; gently pry up, and the switch comes apart. Note there is a brass wiper on the shaft, which slides off. It needs to be sanded clean. Then do the same with the wire coil that the wiper moves along. Put all back together and into car. My hand is big enough that I had to drop the radio chassis, but all in all, an easy job.