PDA

View Full Version : After a long winter, I'm back...

livinginthepast
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey there,

Ah, it feels good to be back. After a long winter, I'm back reading the forum and back in the garage with the bugeye.

We won't talk about the real estate deal which I finally pulled out of after a long series of exchanges...

Anyway, I had the Bugeye out yesterday. Over the winter, the I started the car every so often and noticed that the ignition light stayed on, turn indicators stopped working and the battery was getting weaker. It's an old generator, so I just figured it was dying. So yesterday, I went to check connections and one of the wires to the generator had broken at the connector on the terminal (this is 50 year old wiring, so I guess I should expect this kind of thing). Attached a new female connector, plugged it back in and the ignition light was off, turn indicators are working, but alas, I think my battery may not have survived.

I'll run it later today to see if it takes and keeps a charge.

So anyway, I'm going to do all the fluids next weekend and start assessing this year's fixes (I think a wiring harness is in order)!!!

See you on the road, hopefully :-)

Billm
02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Glad to hear that you are back Bill. What part of the "Sound" are you in now?
BillM

livinginthepast
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey BillM -

I'm still in Covington. We had hoped to move out to the coast, but alas, it just wasn't in the cards. So here we sit. We are still holding on to a piece of land out on the jetty (Ocean Shores), so maybe we'll build on that someday.

Took the BE out for a short ride yesterday and, wow, it was fun. With a couple of small issues, the car is running nicely. Tach is still broken, I have a very small radiator leak that will probably need to be addressed this year, but beyond that and the rotting wiring harness, and the nasty oil leak, I'm ready to get out and drive! :-) Oh, and as a bonus, the battery seems to be holding a charge. We'll see tomorrow when I start it up again.

How are things on your end?

Regards,
BillW