PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A '68 TR4A irs progress

tdskip
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Engine rebuild nearly done... (not by me, wanted to make sure it was done right :laugh: )

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/tdskip_photos/TR4a%20IRS/enginerebuild2-18-10.jpg

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/tdskip_photos/TR4a%20IRS/enginerebuild2-18-10_2.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd
02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Looking good Skip....Brosky would be proud of that dipstick.

Cheers,
Tush

TR4nut
02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
I agree, that is looking good. Has that flywheel been lightened a bit? It looks like some material has been taken off the sides?

Just curious too, but is that flex pipe for the pressure gauge original on your 4A? My 4 came with a nylon pipe like a TR6 so I thought at some point in the TR4 production run they got rid of the flex pipe.

sail
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Skip, I wondered what a clean engine looked like, looks great.

Randy, I was curious on the flex pipe. Mine had about 6" of flex and then the nylon. John Swauger at TRF was kind enough to research and sent the following:

The TR4A factory book is a little confusing to me as it lists a metal pipe from the engine going right to a nylon hose to the gauge. I would have expected a flexible hose between the metal pipe and the nylon pipe as found in the TR4 book. The same nylon hose is listed for TR4 and TR4A with the nylon hose being an alternative to a metal pipe on the TR4.

Listings are as follows:

TR4

200646 Pipe, metal, from engine to flexible pipe
102238 Flexible pipe, between metal pipe from engine to oil pressure gauge pipe
208634 Pipe, metal, between flexible hose and gauge
138308 Pipe, nylon, between flexible pipe and gauge (alternative to metal pipe)

TR4A

200646 Pipe, metal, engine to flexible pipe
138308 Pipe, nylon, rigid pipe to oil gauge

The 138308 nylon pipe, which we have in stock, is 49 inches long. I am thinking that on TR4, it may be used as an alternative to 102238 and 208634, although the book doesn't say that. Will 49 inches do the job for you? It does screw into the 200646 pipe. I didn't have one of those on the shelf but I did have a used original that we kept as a control sample.

I ended up ordering steelbraid from TSI(don't tell John.)

https://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/oilpressure[2].jpg

tdskip
02-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree, that is looking good. Has that flywheel been lightened a bit? It looks like some material has been taken off the sides?

Just curious too, but is that flex pipe for the pressure gauge original on your 4A? My 4 came with a nylon pipe like a TR6 so I thought at some point in the TR4 production run they got rid of the flex pipe.

Gosh you guys have sharp eyes, even with a fuzzy phone camera picture!

Yes, I had about 4 pounds taken off the flywheel.

That flex line is definitely coming off, the core was bought with it but it is pretty scary looking. I've already gotten a dope slap over it from Chris (engine rebuilder). What would you recommend using there - steel braided one?

TR4nut
02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
If good quality nylon ones still exist I'd say those work fine - direct from the hard line to the gauge.