PDA

View Full Version : Touch-up paint over original factory paint

tdskip
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
This is for the '68 TR4A, and I'm wondering about how modern touch-up paint from Paint-Scratch or similar will react with the original factory paint. Any suggestions / lessons learned to pass along?

Geo Hahn
02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Never have had any problem with a reaction of any kind -- color-matching is, of course, sometimes a challenge with 40+ year-old paint.

I got my paints from Tower Paint in Oshkosh which offer a choice of enamel or lacquer.

tdskip
02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Did they get their colors close?

Thanks Geo!

Geo Hahn
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes they did. I can't judge the Signal Red with complete certainty as I have a respray on the car though it and the spray can from Tower were close.

The Triumph Racing Green (aka Conifer) was very accurate.

MGTF1250Dave
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Aloha Skip,

The local distributor for Dupont auto paint here in Honolulu offers a service to make a 16 oz spray can of single stage paint for about $12 in a custom color. You will need to provide a manufacturer's color code or they will bring a color match device out their parking lot to match your car. I would think the LA area would have a similar service available at an auto body paint store.

I was able to get rattle cans of paint that matched both my TR3 and my wife's Mazda very well.

tdskip
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Aloha Dave;

I tried using the PPG numbers but didn't have any luck. I ended up ordering some from these guys;

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

We're way over due to go back to Hawaii, maybe I'll stock up on paint while we're there!

Britishautobody
02-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I have to agree the paint shouldn't react in a negative way from a simple touch up. Some paints when fresh react to top coating adversely. Getting a close match is where the trouble lies, some colors tend to dry darker especially reds. I would try to make a touch up kit from the brand of paint that is on your car if possible. Otherwise I would go to a pro shop and ask the painter to custom make something close from what you have to work with for the best possible result.

DougF
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
A customer showed me a little trick for prepping stone chips that have rusted or scratches or other small areas that need sanding.
With the desired grit paper, using a paper punch, punch out several paper dots. Apply one to the eraser tip of a pencil with an adhesive. I use the 3M adhesive for sand paper.
It gives you great contol in small areas and little concern of taking too much paint surface away.

Andrew Mace
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Once that prep is done, the torn-off end of a paper book match makes as good (or better) an applicator than most brushes!