PDA

View Full Version : random leather under dash cap

ekamm
02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Is there any purpose or has anyone seen these triangular leather pieces under the dash cap?
https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/ejkamm/cappings031.jpg[/img]
Just above cubby, to the right

https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/ejkamm/cappings030.jpg
drivers side same thing.

Tinkerman
02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Erick, took a picture of the right end of my dash cap. I suspect that it is just the remains of a different workers approach to covering the dash cap. Course I could be wrong, have been before and will probably be wrong again.
Question for you though, in the picture of the left side of the dash there is a black button, what does that go to? Just curious because the only thing that I have that looks like that is my windshield washer pump button and I have no real clue at this time about where it's supposed to go.

Cheers, Tinkerman

ekamm
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
My dad the PO in this case put that there it's a horn switch the horn quit many years ago (suspected broken stator tube) and at that time with little expertise and a shade tree mechanic that worked on the car couldn't figure it out. At that time in Oklahoma yearly vehicle inspections required a working horn so that's the story.

The capping piece was very tattered but it was all there and I couldn't see any real use for the small leather pieces. There is obvious old cement there and intentionally put there?

Tinkerman
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Looks like the kind of old cement I found on some of my stuff. Good question though maybe someone will have an answer.
Horn switch, why not. I remember some of the stuff I put in weird places on my cars. I'm not ready to put the WW pump on but just thought I'd ask. Interesting story though.

Thanks, Tinkerman

ekamm
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
By the way the horn witch will leave when I recover the dash (dreading it) and I will repair the stator tube and wiring. And if all goes well the indicator switches and horn will work.

Geo Hahn
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Hah! My TR3 had a door-bell button on the dash for the horn when I got it long ago... and a DPDT toggle for the turn signals.

...when I recover the dash (dreading it)...

Nothing to dread there I think. The kit I worked with had that piece around the notch for the steering column stitched to fit so getting everything to lie smooth was a cinch.