PDA

View Full Version : Input on what Truck/SUV you drive

gjh2007
10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello all:

It's finally time to depart with my '88 Range Rover Classic. After 16 yrs (6 by me) I need something I don't need to work on to keep going. I sunk abot $6500 into her last year with a new 4.0 engine, rad, etc. The truck is an 8 out of 10, especially for the year, but I'm staring to get the old fatigue of parts, switches, relays, etc. Unfortunatley many of those parts are fairly exspensive & not always that easy to replace with an aftermarket item.

Anyway to my question, I'm looking at the new Ford F150, or F250 4x4 for towing my boat & moving stuff around. I'd go for the extended cab, so I can at least pick up the kids & friends. I've heard the Fords have been the best seller for years, but that doesn't tell me what it is like living with the vehicle. I'm really spoiled with the Rangie. You sit up high, it's great in the snow & definately stands out in the crowd.

Besides the F series does anyone drive an Expedition, which I believe is based on the F150 platform. Not too worried about mileage as I only get 13-14 now.

Please chime in with your experiences.

BTW, drop me an e-mail if your interested in a nice Rover!

Here's a link to a photo.

https://home.comcast.net/~ghamilton99/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1655051.html

PC
10-05-2004, 02:32 PM
The Expedition is based on the F-150 but has a number of changes, including independent rear suspension. I have some friends who tow their jeep around with one and are very happy with it.

Since you're happy with the Rover's towing capability I would guess that the Expedition's capacity would be plenty. The Excursion is based on the F-350 and is available with a diesel so may be a consideration for towing bigger objects.

I drive a Rodeo. I'm very pleased with it in snow and for light off-road duty. On paper it can tow a small ski boat but I wouldn't make a habit of towing anything bigger than a couple of Wave Runners for any kind of distance.

PC.

MGA Steve
10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
I have had a Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4x4 for 5 years, but it is definitely too small for your purposes. I had to have the clutch replaced twice under warranty in the first 7500 miles, but it has required no repairs other than maintenance items since. I have used it for off-road business and pleasure, including jeep roads in Colorado, without any problems with the transfer case or transmission. I have never had a GM or Dodge truck, so don't know how their quality compares, but I have had Nissan and Toyota 4WDs and the Ford compares favorably. Good luck.

Bret
10-05-2004, 08:46 PM
I’ve owned a lot of Ford F-series trucks and currently own a 2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew with the larger (5.4L) engine and tow package.

Personally I have driven/rented many of the new trucks out there. Here are some basic thoughts:
1) The GM trucks I have driven over the years have been a huge disappointment to me and I have rented three in the last few weeks. I seriously think the last good bowtie truck was back in the 60’s.
2) The new Dodge Rams are nice and if it wasn’t for my F-150 I’d own one. The Hemi is beyond words performance-wise and the interior of the 4d Club-cab (or whatever they call it) is really roomy and comfortable for 5 adults and the 2wd versions stand almost as tall as most other 4x4s. The only down side IMHO is the ride. I know it’s a truck but it seems a lot more jittery and bumpy than my 4x4 Ford.

Ford Trucks have always treated me great. While I haven’t driven the newest Ford Truck (I really like the looks BTW) I can honestly say that I have never had any major problems with a Blue Oval truck.

Fuel mileage on my F-150 4x4 (loaded up with tools & test equipment) on the freeway is well over 16 MPG. In town it is about 11 to 12MPG and I tend to be a bit of a lead foot so I can live with those numbers. That said I would suspect that the other full size trucks are comparable depending on your driving habits.

My $0.02.

Good luck?

Steve_S
10-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I owned a '94 Ranger STX for 5 or 6 years and never had any trouble with it. My wife has owned two Explorers and they have been pretty good with only minor issues. These days there is nothing bigger than a Beemer 528 in the driveway and I'm much happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bret
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These days there is nothing bigger than a Beemer 528 in the driveway and I'm much happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, what's the towing capacity of one of those? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve_S
10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Wouldn't know, but I'd love to find out. Tractor pull, anyone?

frankenstang57
10-06-2004, 02:44 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Personally if I were to buy a new truck, it would be a F-350 Powerstroke crew cab. Then again I drag a 40ft car trailer around, which most people don't. I test drove one a couple months ago and it was sweet, putting my beloved 96 F-250 to shame! If I didn't have a kid on the way I woulda bought it on the spot. My 250 has 200k on it. Though I didn't buy it new, it still drives pretty good. Dodges are pretty good, and would be my second choice. I work with a bunch of Dodge owners, and the biggest thing I've noticed is little stuff breaks after awhile. I've heard good things about the about the Duramax(Isuzu in my book) but GM's styling is for the birds. Nifty thing, however, GM has 4 wheel stearing. Pretty handy too. Biggest gripe I have about owning a big truck is parking it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gjh2007
10-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys, as expected I've yet to hear anything bad about the Fords. Seems as though the research on what to buy is much easier than finding the cash to do it!!

VitSport6
10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi.
In a word...Landcruiser!, and not the new indipendent front suspention stuff, Im talking about the 93 to 97 FZJ80's Bomb proof, not the hottest for gas milage. Can tow up to 5000Lbs. I dont know what you intend to use it for, but I love mine. Sold our 3/4 ton Chevy to but it. The new Fords are good rig's I have a few friends that have F350's for towing, They seem to like them, I think they are a bit too big.
Good luck

gjh2007
10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I looked at an '02 LC with the V8 on the side of the road for sale. It had 52k on it, the guy was asked (wanted) $31k for it! Sounds awfully expensive, it was a lease he was trying to close out.

How much are they new $50k???

PC
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...How much are they new $50k???

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2004, MSRP: $54,725 - $55,025

That's base. Then you add options (and dealer jerk up).

Darn nice trucks though.

PC

philman
10-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I'd stick with a newer rangie. given the choice I usually drive our rangie before the wife's blazer.

Mickey Richaud
10-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Looking to buy something smaller to replace my '96 F150. Anybody had experience with Nissan or Toyota four-door pickups?
How about the Subaru Baja?

Mickey

Bret
10-09-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking to buy something smaller to replace my '96 F150. Anybody had experience with Nissan or Toyota four-door pickups?
How about the Subaru Baja?

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mickey,

No real first hand experience with any of those ownership-wise.

So are you looking for a new or used truck? I ask only because the mid-sized segment of 4 door trucks has grown by leaps & bounds over the past few years and there are lot of fine examples out there ready to be had with four-doors.

As for Toyota Trucks: I am kind of bias against them for personal reasons, but my only real “contemporary” grip is the price vs. what you actually get. When I was looking at the mid-size segment a few years ago I looked at everything (yes, even the Nippon vehicles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ). And as far as “Most Bang for the Buck” I would have to say that the Ford Ranger offered up far more than the Toyota did for the same price. An equally equipped Toyota truck cost far FAR more than anything else. While I’m sure many will tout the quality & reliability of the Toyotas over the competition, I say it is over rated. As it has been my experience that there is little difference between most trucks these days. Toyota to their credit has built a great reputation over the years for their fine products. But the rest of the automotive community has caught up. But today the mystique of Toyota trucks is highly over rated IMHO.

As for Nissan Trucks: I have no comments.

As for the Subaru Baja: Well they are cute, but they in a totally different segment than the others. Personally I can’t imagine that the hauling or towing capacity being remotely comparable to a real truck.

Personally I would suggest adding the following two vehicles for your consideration.

The Dodge Dakota – Powerful V6 & V8 opts. Almost a full size bed. I’ve rented a few of the crew cabs (4d) versions and loved the roominess and ride. Don’t know anything about the newest Dakota but it looks great and offers up more powerful engine options (No Hemi). If I wasn’t a full size guy this would be my personal choice.

GM has two new mid-sized Trucks this year (replacing the now dead S10 PU). The Colorado is one and the other name escapes me at the moment. I haven’t driven either of these but I think they are based on the new Trailblazer platform. Gobs of power and they kind of look cool.

Ford Rangers are another choice. I've owned two of them and have never had any major problems with either of them.

Good Luck!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Super 7
10-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm driving a 2005 GMC pickup with an extended cab. I like it better than the Fords I had for company trucks the last couple years, mainly because the power door locks are far less anoying. They click on when you put it in gear, and unlock when you put it in Park. I hate automatic door locks, but my last company vehicle, a 2004 Ford Excretion, locked them at 15 mph or so, and you had to hit the button to unlock them. Frankly, I get paid to drive these trucks to and from work every day (My job actually doesn't require driving), and would not drive one without being paid to do so, and I don't have to buy the fuel for them either. Even a boring car like a Taurus or a Chrysler minivan is much nicer to drive than these things.

Bret
10-09-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate automatic door locks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a sore subject for me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

I owned a lot of Fords (Currently have an 95 Explorer & 01 F-150 SC) and have rented a lot of them over the years. While the door locks are a bit annoying I don’t have any complaints.

Whereas GM products have always left me wanting more. I rent a lot of trucks from Enterprise and the trucks then tend to give me most are full size stripped down Silverados Extended cabs (w/rear “half” doors). Too many complaints to list and wouldn’t spend my own money on one. But one of my biggest complaints was that they didn’t come with a remote entry system & only had one key lock on the driver’s door.

So that meant that if you ever wanted to be the courteous gentleman type & open the passenger door for your wife. You’d have to go unlock & open the driver’s door first. Then hit the automatic door lock button to unlock the passenger side door – then run back to the other side to open the door for you wife. Kind’a takes away from the moment if you get my drift. Anyway, who says chivalry is dead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Super 7
10-09-2004, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate automatic door locks,

[/ QUOTE ]

they didn’t come with a remote entry system & only had one key lock on the driver’s door.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has the regular remote lock key fob. 1 click unlocks drivers side, 2 clicks unlock both sides.

I actually like that. I just don't like some programmer in detroit (or India) deciding for me when I want them to lock and unlock.

The GMC also has a V8 that has the tip in set very sensitive in the first part of throttle pedal movement. It gives you the impression that the truck is fast. Later you find out, while trying to pass, that it really hasn't got much over 75 or so. Speed just creeps up over 90.

A couple years ago I had an F-150 company car with a V6. It was a pooly equipped model, with no frills, but it was 4wd automatic with air. I beleive that it would about run with this GMC.

Mickey Richaud
10-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Bret -

Appreciate the input. Regarding the Baja, it is a different breed, and that's what's kind of appealing to me. I'm looking to downsize from the F-150, but I need a back seat. Also, don't need the towing capacity, as we've got an SUV that'll do what we need there. Thing is, the Baja costs as much as either the Toyota or Nissan truck, and isn't as versatile.

Looked at the Colorado, and the 4WD models list out at 31K!

Heard some bad press about the Dakotas, but then everyone's got their own stories.

Again, thanks for the input.

Mickey

PC
10-10-2004, 02:02 AM
I think the Baja is a very cool and would be a lot of fun to own. As long as you are fully aware of what it is and what it isn’t it could be very practical as well.

What it isn’t is a truck. Don’t even dream about trying to tow a ski boat or an LBC with one.

What it is is a Legacy Outback platform but instead of a hatchback or trunk it has an open bed.

Legacys are a lot of fun so the Baja should be too. (and you can toss grungy junk in the back without worrying about your upholstery.)

PC.

VitSport6
10-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi all.

What it is is a Legacy Outback platform but instead of a hatchback or trunk it has an open bed.

I saw a Baja the other day with a shell on it....I thought why?, But I guess he needed to spend an extra few $$$$ to cover the goods he had in the bed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif
I think the Toyota would be a good way to go on the 4dr pick-up, I know I also mentioned the Landcruiser, But you cant go wrong on the quality, Its kinda odd to have a Triumph that needs all sorts of attention and 2 vehicles that need so little, Other than routine fluid changes.
Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Jon12
10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
My reliable backup vehicle is my 1990 Ford Ranger extended cab with the V-6. It was my grandfathers until he rolled it about 5 times. It was rebuilt by a family friend and made it's way back to me. It's been pushed about as far as you can push a 2WD truck off road, been stuck numerous times. We've had many adventures in it.

The motor has been reliable but the interiors of fords always fall apart. Yesterday the driver side door handle linkage broke, a few months ago the lock linkage in the passengers side came apart and lots of little things like that seem to happen. The chack engine light comes on after driving more than 45 minutes, no one can tell me why either.

90 XJ-S
10-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Gary,

My, choice is Dodge.
In 1975 I bought a new D-150 PU. Absolutely no problems 'til my Ex stole it from me in '81. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
In 1981 I bought a Dodge Ramcharger and drove it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif both on an off road, pulling up to 8,000 Lbs with it an had no problems. Traded it in with 200,000 on the clock (because I just had to have a new truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)on a 94 D-2500, will drive the '94 'til the wheels fall off of it, 170,000 miles right now and still pulls off the line stronger than anything else I own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It has pulled up to 10,000 lbs, carried 5,000 lbs in the box (not at the same time...that might be a little much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )
If I decide I need a new truck it will most definately be a new dodge. ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe a Hemi this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Mike

rijk365gtb4
10-25-2004, 07:30 PM
I have a Cayenne Turbo. Try it, it would be a great improvement over the RRC

sammyb
10-25-2004, 09:57 PM
I have a 98 Expedition, and my inlaws have a 2003 Navigator, which is the new platform of Expedition. Basically, I think they're pieces of junk.

Here's the skinny -- Fords are decent, but designed in a way that will keep dealer service operations very profitable (really -- by design.) For instance, replacing a heater core in a Suburban is a 1.5 hour job. In an Expedition, it's a 10 hour job. To replace the catalytic converters (there are 4) in the Expedition (which went out at 140,000 miles) the parts were only available via dealers at over $900. No aftermarket parts would fit.

The wiper arm has a little ball and plastic socket that wears out. They don't sell the 1 cent socket (which, when it wears out, the ball pops out and the arm is no disconnected from the motor.) They only sell the $145 (wholesale) complete motor and arm assembly, which is an hour to remove, an hour to replace. (I did it myself, but it's a pain!)

As an owner of many GM cars (Corvettes, Oldsmobile -- my inlaws have a GMC 1500 pickup, my father has a Caddy SLS) stay away. I won't buy another GM. While they are generally decent cars, the corporation refuses to fix long-running problems -- and even recalls just are silly band-aids (stop leak to fix huge leaks in plastic intake manifolds in Buicks, Olds, Pontiac which leads to hydrolocking...a computer workaround to cut the fuel pump so the car can't be moved when the column lock fails in the locked position in 1997-2004 Corvettes (they don't fix the column, just disable the pump in the case of failure! Which happened to my C5 last week.) There are probably 20 problems for each GM model that are known, documented and of various severity, and there are no "cures" by GM...just have service replace parts with the same basic parts which will fail in the same way.

Now, on the truck/SUV side, I would strongly recommend looking at the Honda Pilot, Nissan Titan or even Subaru Forrester/Outback. I'm not a fan of SUVs or Trucks unless you really need to tow a lot, because for the price of a basic SUV, you can get a **** of a great sedan, which is usually longer, has more legroom and handles a lot better.

While it's a couple years old, I invite you to take a look at my newspaper story on a 20+ SUV comparison I did at Mudfest. It's on my web site at www.apexstrategy.com (https://www.apexstrategy.com)

I've driven so many SUVs, it makes my head spin. I can answer a lot of questions, especially about things the magazine reviews don't tell you (reliability, dealer service quality, cost of ownership.)

Feel free to email me.

Sam

Mickey Richaud
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Just said goodbye to my '96 F150 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. It was a good truck, but getting a little long in the tooth.

Looking at the '05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. HP is up from last year, as is the gas mileage (17/21). Tow capacity is 5000 with the automatic, and 6500 with the six speed, which is not in production yet. The salesman I'm working with told me that according to the marketers, if you spend over $25K for a vehicle, you don't want to shift! Still don't understand their logic. Another salesman at the dealership told me there are three people who've said they wanted the six speed.

sammyb
10-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Mickey,
It's really true...pickups and SUVs are now so popular with the urbanites and suburbanites, they're made for cruising and "hauling" the stroller and family dog. Part of that means only providing a smooth automatic tranny. You can count the number of pickups and SUVs on one hand available with a manual tranny.

As for the Toyotas, they are nice trucks. I've always thought the Tundra was very nice, but quite expensive for what you received. My buddy and I towed my '55 Packard on a trailer with his 2001 Tundra, so it's powerful enough.

Toyotas have had some reliability issues as of late. In the last two years, they've had, across the board, some problems with Volvo-esque electrical issues -- you know, the ones where you go out to start your car after being in the store for 30 minutes and the car won't start! Not widely talked about in the public, but has been a major topic of conversation in the auto writer circles.

That being said, I'd still probably balance Tundra vs. Titan in my final truck decision. (Yes, I'll amend my first comment and add the Tundra in there, since I haven't heard issues specific to the Tundra, rather just the Toyota cars and SUVs (but just because they sell more, so there are more to break down.)

As for the Tacoma...being just 25 miles from Tacoma, WA, all I can think of is: "The aroma of Tacoma." Do Toyota Tacomas smell like Tacoma's pulp mill (which causes the whole dang city to smell like something died.)

And more appropriate use of the name Tacoma would be the IROC Camaro "Tacoma" edition, which comes standard with a jacked-up rear suspension, tinted windows and a stereo that only plays Scorpions music.

Steve_in_Georgia
10-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Bought mine new, and love the fact that the 4 doors open even though it looks like a 2 door. It is also the 5.4 L. engine. I was told by friends who had the smaller engine to get the larger one. I have over 72000 miles on it, and have towed a large livestock trailer up to Michigan and back (from Georgia)with a load and no issues. (The automatic tranny is great.) It has been everywhere(Florida, Washington, and all points in between). I did nothing but oil changes/filters every 3000 miles for the first 70,000 then took it in for a 'Get it back to new' session with the dealer. Needed new brakes all around, replaced all plugs and tuned, changed all fluids incl. tranny, and replaced all filters. A couple of other minor things, like wiper blades,etc.. Cost was exactly $804 or a maintenance cost of about 9/10 of a cent per mile. She runs great and looks great. I plan to keep it for a long time. I think I am hard to please when it comes to cars , but I love them. This pick-up truck is in company with my other cars, all dependable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif...62 XKE OTS, 31 Model A Coupe, LS400, Boxster, and a Wrangler. I'm no longer young /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif but do think the old saying is correct, "When your kids are grown and gone, your income seems to triple!" Get the F-150..I have NOT regretted it for a moment..and I don't like buying new cars, and probably never will get another one new again.

waltesefalcon
10-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Sammy,

I gotta agree with you about new pick-ups/SUVs being built for cruising and not hauling. I am always amazed at how luxurious these "work vechilces" are getting and how the towing capabilites are so far removed from what they used to be. Lets take for example my 52 International 1/2 ton pick-up. It has gas burning engine putting out 92 horses and 185 Lb/ft of torque, came with vinyl upholsetry, steel door panels, a rubber floor mat, no heater (though it was an option and mine does now have one I got at a junk yard), no radio, a four speed unsychronized transmission (a three speed synchronized tranny was an option), and was rated to pull 40,000 pounds (and it will do it too). Now lets take a 2004 Chevy 3500 HD, supposably the most powerful pick-up in its class (1 ton), it has a diesel putting out 300 hp, and 520 lb/ft of torque, has nice upholstery, plush carpeting, full two zone climate control, a cd player/radio, a five speed synchronized tranny, and is rated to pull a stagering 12,000 lbs, or a fifth wheel pulling capacity of 15,900 lbs. Now you'd think that with all the technology and power they have thrown at this class leading "work" truck it would be able to out work my small under powered fifty-two year old pick-up, but it can't even begin to pull with it. Oh well times change I guess. Sorry if this seemed like a rant, it was just an odd observation I have made.

sammyb
10-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Walter,
I'm right with you, buddy. My neighbor growing up kept an old 50's International (in the proper green-blue color) pickup, and actually he still has it and uses it. Using the clutch is pointless except starting in 1st.

I've had so many SUVs and Pickups as press vehicles, so I've seen enough to compare...big thing is PRICE! I can't understand why someone would pay $50K for a pickup truck -- they do so because it is a bad pickup and mediocre family hauler. Personally, I'd rather have a new $25K Accord and $5K old F150 or GMC1500 to beat on when I actually needed a true truck.

Bret
10-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Walter,

You’re telling us that a fifty year old work truck with the “semi-adequate” specs you mentioned has a 40,000 towing capacity? Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif That’s pretty amazing – those capabilities are well within commercial vehicle status.

But I must admit that I’m having a hard time seeing that truck pulling that kind of load tooling down an Interstate at 70 or 80 MPH for extended periods of time. Let alone pulling the same load up a steep grade at more than 10MPH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regardless, while I too wouldn’t purchase a brand “new” truck, I think you & Sammy are being a bit harsh on the more modern trucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Admittedly most new trucks are quite plush compared to their earlier counterparts. Not wishing to start that tired old debate about whether or not everyday folks really need trucks & SUVs as daily drivers. But the fact is trucks & SUVs make up a much larger segment of today’s vehicle sales. They are much safer, more fuel efficient and a far cry more utilitarian than trucks of old. Needed or not these vehicles need to at least be capable of pulling duties such as a commuter vehicle, a weekend work horse & play toy as well as a daily kiddy & grocery hauler.

So a "real truck" like say my old 1994 F-150 regular cab with the 4.9L Inline 6, with a vinyl bench seat & rubber floor mats isn’t going to cut it with today’s consumer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

waltesefalcon
10-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Bret,

No there is no way my pick-up would pull 40,000 lbs at 70 mph, more like 45 tops, and pulling a hill it can do closer to 14 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I wasn't really trying to dog new trucks so much as I was trying to illustrate how far pick-ups have come from what they were designed for, utility, to what they are now. Now they are plush consumer vehicles which everyone drives, and which fulfill the roll of comfort better than the roll of utility. Anyway I just think it is odd that in todays world when you go out and buy a "utility" vehicle or "work" truck the standard models have so many bells and wistles that they would put most luxury cars from 30 years ago to shame. Yet they still refer to this new breed of pick-ups as "work" trucks. Furthermore a bare bones pick-up, like your F150 you mentioned, has to basically be special ordered today, rather than the super luxurious model having to be special ordered.

Super 7
10-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Where I work, most of the work trucks are badly equipped. Next week I have to turn in my 2004 plush nicely equipped GMC 4WD for a 2003 Ford Diesel. Vinyl seats, rubber floor mats. It does have cruise control and air conditioning, but most of ours do not. It has manual hubs and floor shifting 4WD control. The last pickup I had with decent ventilation was a '96 Ford. Other than that, the manufacturers seem to say: "You're not buying air conditioning? Well heck with you then!"

You can barely drive a late modle truck at highway speeds with the windows down.

Remember cowl vents?

Remember the side vents at the floorboards? Wind Wings?

That stuff worked!

waltesefalcon
10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Cowl vents are my friend. When the pick-up you drive is basically a steel box and its at least 20 degrees hotter in it than it is outside, cowl vents are the best thing ever.

Mickey Richaud
10-28-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can barely drive a late modle truck at highway speeds with the windows down.

Remember cowl vents?

Remember the side vents at the floorboards? Wind Wings?

That stuff worked!

[/ QUOTE ]

That stuff may have worked, but then our expectations were less then than they are now. We've gotten soft, and we've gotten used to and expect A/C wherever we are. Traveling interstates at speed with the windows open just isn't an option for us! I hardly see anyone with windows open on the interstate.

Mickey

gjh2007
11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Sam:

thanks for your input. I actually got a buyer on my '88 RR Classic yesterday, for my lowered asking price of $5900. I really am selling her with mixed emotions. It has been a great, if not expensive truck to run. Considering it is 16 yrs old, it is in remarkable shape. Yes I did replace the engine at a cost of $6000, replacing the tired 3.5 with a new 4.0, but because the body is aluminum there was no rust & virtually no corrosion. The beauty of the 1988 is it doesn't have all the complex bells & whistles of the later RR's, plus I think the quality control was better. I also like the fact that I don't blend in with the crowd like all the new SUV's do. The guy who bought it from me had a Series II Land Rover in college & is basically buying it for weekend driving & tooling down along the beach. The sad thing is that some of the components are just plain wearing out & $125 seat switches & the like are just adding up. Bottom line is I paid $4500 for the truck with 100k on it & over 6 years have put prob $8500 into her. Not a great return on my investment, but I don't usually look at any car to be a profit maker. Amazing that this rig went for $38,000 in 1988!

Anyway, looks like I will prob go with a Land Cruiser FJ 100 '98-2001, Not cheap either, but from what I hear very good ratings. Do you have any input?

p.s. I need the size, for hauling my kids, soccer team, 2 large Labs & a 22' Grady White.

VitSport6
11-08-2004, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sam:

Anyway, looks like I will prob go with a Land Cruiser FJ 100 '98-2001, Not cheap either, but from what I hear very good ratings. Do you have any input?

p.s. I need the size, for hauling my kids, soccer team, 2 large Labs & a 22' Grady White.

[/ QUOTE ]
WOO HOOO!. You wont be disapointed, I have had ALL sorts of things in mine. Just thought I would add, I have towed a Datsun 2000 on a trailer and didnt really feel much differance in the performance, But I do have the I6.
Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

VitSport6
11-08-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sam:

[/ QUOTE ]
WOO HOOO!. You wont be disapointed, I have had ALL sorts of things in mine.
Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif