PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

towbiz
02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I would like opinions (I bet I have come to the right spot) on clutch brands. I am attempting to solve the old sticky clutch issue. I am going to use one of the TRF bronze bearing collars with a Koyo bearing. Getting rid of the Borg pressure plate. I was thinking Luk or Sachs. I have read the very informative Buckeye articles. Thanks

Brosky
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Here's my story: Clutch Replacment (https://www.74tr6.com/clutchreplacement.htm)

And I like that new bronze bushing. I wish that I had it then.

TR3driver
02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
IMO they all work fine if you get the right unit. Check out the info at
https://www.mntriumphs.org/Tech_Info/Clutch%20Folder/clutch.pdf

I'm surprised you decided to stick with the Koyo bearing, after reading Nelson's article about how it doesn't fit properly. What are you going to do about the increased force needed to spin the bearing?

fred29
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I have the same problem with my TR6. My pedal gets really stiff when the car warms up. Not sure if it's all related to the sticky clutch or not but I also have to do something soon, just not sure of which way to go.

towbiz
02-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Fred,
I have been trying to solve this for a while. I hope I am on the right track. I purchased the bronze carrier and bearing from TRF along with a new front cover. At their advice I am having the cover polished and the carrier dressed to smooth any sharp edges and insure a .010-.012 clearance between them. I have chosen a Sachs pressure plate as I believe they have the least spring pressure. Excessive spring pressure may encourage the bearing and carrier to **** on the cover. I have an adjustable push rod on the slave cylinder and will adjust it and install a spring so the bearing will not touch the pressure plate unless the pedal is depressed. If you are interested in the outcome send a email, I let you know how it works. Jim

fred29
02-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Jim keep me posted on how you are making out.