PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A instrument restoration

JohnBoyer
02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Aloha,

I am in the middle stages of a frame off restoration of my father's TR (original owner). I am thinking it would be prudent to have the instruments evaluated and restored. Does anyone have suggestions for a trusted expert to assess the instruments and restore them in the USA?

John

nissanite
02-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I just sent an oil gauge that has leaked & needs restored along with a water temp & fuel to be checked. I sent them to Nisonge r. They were helpful on the phone but you could tell they were busy. I feel they know their business.

I will post my results in a couple weeks when i get them back.

$125 to restore the oil. About $150 for 6 bezels & an o-ring kit. I did not ask about checking the other units. Time will tell.

rlwhitetr3b
02-13-2010, 11:34 PM
:savewave:
I John and welcome to the forum.
Your must be the third or forth person on this forum who is rebuilding their father's TR3.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people around here that can answer any questions you have.

TR3driver
02-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Mo-Ma in New Mexico is also supposed to be very good. Only problem, sometimes they get busy doing 'Pebble Beach' cars and won't stoop to doing anything as plebeian as a Triumph. But last I heard, they were doing much better.

Name: Mo-MA
Street: 1321 2nd Street Southwest
Albuquerque, NM 87102-4302
Phone: (505) 766-6661

angelfj1
02-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I just sent an oil gauge that has leaked & needs restored along with a water temp & fuel to be checked. I sent them to Nisonge r. They were helpful on the phone but you could tell they were busy. I feel they know their business.

I will post my results in a couple weeks when i get them back.

$125 to restore the oil. About $150 for 6 bezels & an o-ring kit. I did not ask about checking the other units. Time will tell.

Nisonger did a first class job for me! Lots of $$$ but no regrets.

Brosky
02-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I was not happy with Nisonger's attitude on the phone. I restored the insides of all of my gauges but this winter I wanted them all calibrated and the tach converted to electronic. I used West Valley Auto Instruments in California. Morris Mintz is the owner and I found him to be very helpful and customer focused. My stories are here, first the gauge refurbishing and then the calibration. Morris can do both if you wish and the price depends on the condition of what he starts with.

Gauge Refurbishing (https://www.74tr6.com/gauges.htm)

Gauge Calibration at West Valley (https://www.74tr6.com/gauges1.htm)

TR3driver
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
My understanding is that Mr. Nisonger sold the business a few years back; and complaints like Paul's seem to be more common since then.

North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock is supposed to be another good place, though I've no personal experience with them.

mrv8q
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll second Paul's recommendation of West Valley. They rebuilt my TR3's temp sender 5+ years ago, among others, and no problems since....

GilsTR
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
John...one more vote for West Valley Instruments.
I did not care at all for the attitude of the other
"Big 2". West Valley did a real good job on all
the instruments on my 3A. Gil

Tinkerman
02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I found Nisonger's to be very helpful on the phone and they did a great job on my Temp Gauge. I do know that they get very busy at this time of the year, their comment not mine. That may be part of the problem. Like I said my temp came back looking like a new unit complete with mounting clamps.

Tinkerman

JohnBoyer
02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Many thanks for your suggestions and support! I'll post my experience. John

smaceng
02-15-2010, 11:00 PM
second or third, whatever, for West Valley Instruments.
Scott in CA