PDA

View Full Version : contact cement use

ekamm
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
So today I used some contact cement for the first time. I am recovering my cappings. I used the cement according to directions, waiting 15 minutes before covering the piece. It stuck fine and once I figured out how to manipulate the vinyl I got the piece covered. After a few minutes though I noticed the vinyl coming up in places mostly where there was some tension from the curves in the piece. What's the secret? I think tomorrow I'll give some spray adhesive a go and see if that gives a better result.

DNK
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
What kind?

ekamm
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
You're favorite weldwood

DougF
02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
An upholsterer suggested, in a different application, to work on one half at a time.
Put cement across the top half and after the vinyl is in place and the adhesive set, then do the bottom half. Once the bottom is done you can glue the vinyl around the edges.
This way, you have more control since you aren't running out of hands.
I would use the contact cement since the vinyl is under tension and is a little stronger than the spray adhesive.

PeterK
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree. It's better to glue in sections so you don't have stretching in all directions at the same time. I always save the fold overs till last and usually wait a day to complete them.

ekamm
02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
The doing it in two stages was what I began to do,but I started with one of the small rear pieces and with the bend it just didn't seem possible. Also I don't see how you could glue half of it and then coat the other half and let it set and the get it right with no wrinkles.

DNK
02-10-2010, 09:03 PM
You're favorite weldwood

Welll!

KSIS
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
The best product I have used is the 3M #90 heavy duty spray. Ive used it on multiple headliners, door panels the dash in my spit and the rear wheel wells. I spray both sides and let them sit until the bubbles begin to pop. I usually start from the top and work my way down. In the case of the wheel wells, I started at the center and worked my way out.
Ive have had very good luck. You can stretch as you go and this stuff will not let go. Below is the dash.

https://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2997/3881/32491940016_medium.jpg

https://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2997/3881/32491940018_medium.jpg