PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6: Glovebox finger pull

Webb Sledge
10-04-2004, 06:24 PM
I've seen restored TR6s with and without these on the glovebox. Mine (which hasn't been restored), does not have one, and my question is this: How do you get the glovebox open without one? The only way I can do it is because my glovebox door is warped slightly and I can get my fingers on the edge of it and pull, which is still a pain.

BOXoROCKS
10-04-2004, 06:50 PM
The finger pull is a TR4 item. TR6 is opened by the lite switch and rubber buffers, yea sure. I would love to be able to put a old fashion door knob on mine for laughs but can't afford the humour.

Webb Sledge
10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
There was a finger pull for the TR6 that came from the factory. It would be impossible for the light switch and rubber buffers to open the glove box, since you have to push quite hard on the button to get the latch to retract. I have seen professional quality restorations of TR6s with and without the finger pull, so how do you get the glovebox open without it?

Seen as item #38: https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32985

Geo Hahn
10-04-2004, 09:31 PM
TR3s lacked a finger pull & the cubby box is opened by inserting the key, turning and pulling. Not too handy when you're cruising down the road plus requires that you lock the box which just means someone who wants a look inside will have to break in.

I fitted a TR4 lock & finger pull to the TR3... had to slightly modify the shape of the hole in the door to accomodate it. If some TR6s came w/o a pull a similar change should be pretty easy.

trrdster2000
10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
As said earlier, with or without, seen both but you will have to use some 0000 steel wool on the chrome ones you get now so some flat black paint will stick to it and you may have to use a small round file on the bottom of the hole to get a good fit, just make sure all of you file stocks are from the front, DON'T PULL BACK, it will brake the veneer around the edge. Wayne

Webb Sledge
10-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks Wayne. I'll try that.

BOXoROCKS
10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey Webb, the BIG question, who ya gonna believe, MOSS,...or me.

Webb Sledge
10-05-2004, 05:07 PM
No offense, Box, but I've seen several professionally restored TR6s, like I said, with these finger pulls, which leads me to believe that they came on some cars.

BOXoROCKS
10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
None taken Webb, here's a tip tho. I've seen as many correct cars in junk yards as I've seen at car shows, another tip get the owners hand book for TR250's and TR6's and look at the dashes. Also if this is any help I have 4 TR250's one is the 673rd made in 1967 and unaltered,also have numerous TR6s including the 787th made in 1968 also unaltered.None have the finger pull,BUT all my TR4s do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BOXoROCKS
10-05-2004, 07:15 PM
PS, not trying to sound like a horses a$$, just trying to set the record straight as I know it.

VanHalenMan
10-06-2004, 02:35 AM
well bubba, I know for a fact my TR6 is un-alterd and it DOES have the pull, so chill man.

BOXoROCKS
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Ahhh,sorry. names not bubba.Van, I was trying to give a correct answer to a question of originality. I remember looking at a pic of you car when you asked the question "what are these"?? I won't comment on your expertise. I am willing to help where I can on what I know.Members of this forum are entitled to believe or disbelieve as they so choose.I too am still learning.

Webb Sledge
10-06-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well bubba, I know for a fact my TR6 is un-alterd and it DOES have the pull, so chill man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've owned your 6 since it was new, how can you know it wasn't altered? I suspect many were added later by owners or the dealers, simply to make it easier.

I trust you Box. I don't really care whether it was original or not, and I'm planning on adding one just because it makes opening the glovebox a lot easier.

VanHalenMan
10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Meh, whatever... trying to insult me doesn't do anything... I know it came with the car, wether or not the dealer put it on... who knows.

trrdster2000
10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
To pull or not to pull. I thought we were all pulling for one objective, keeping these cars on the road. For the purest and the ulta show cars all things must be like it started out and not all of us who have been working on these cars for 30 or more years can say we haven't seen enough changed of some cars to question our own thoughts as to right or wrong and must look at early photos to make sure. I would hate to lose the best of show because of a pull on the glove box, but for two perfect cars is could make a difference. Wayne