PDA

View Full Version : Who DAT? I Had to look it up!

Basil
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
So now I know more than I ever wanted to know about the origins of Who Dat! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dat%3F)

GregW
02-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Have a beer, reset those brain cells to zero.

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 06:10 AM
My son says <span style="color: #3366FF">Who's That</span>. He went to Tulane. :smirk:

Try lookin up <span style="color: #FF6600">Where Yat</span>.

Caught my receptionist answering the office phone, "Who Dat."

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
My son says <span style="color: #3366FF">Who's That</span>. He went to Tulane. :smirk:

TRUE DAT! There's a host of locals affectionately known as "Yats" down there!

Here's (https://https://gumbopages.com/yatspeak.html) a great write-up about NooWAHlens-speak.

Hey, is Bunny Matthews still doin' the Vic &amp; Nat'ly cartoons? Those were great!

02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
[quote=Mickey Richaud
Hey, is Bunny Matthews still doin' the Vic &amp; Nat'ly cartoons? Those were great![/quote]

I don't know, I can't read.

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
[quote=Mickey Richaud
Hey, is Bunny Matthews still doin' the Vic &amp; Nat'ly cartoons? Those were great!

I don't know, I can't read. [/quote]

Don't have to read - the pictures alone are worth a look-see:

Bunny (https://www.hollywoodcomics.com/matthews.html)

02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I know, just jokin'. I haven't read the Times Picayune in years.....~ALTHOUGH~ yesterday's edition had saints pics ALL OVER the WHOLE THING.

I've been tryin' to get you one, but they are hard to come by.

eye du lyk Vic and Nat'ly.

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I've been tryin' to get you one, but they are hard to come by.

MAN! That'd be great!

As a coworker at Langenstein's (my after-school job in '67) used to say, I'll dance at your wedding!

(Yeah, I know - you're already hitched...)

02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
OMG, I just looked up "where y'at" just to see what's there.

Gay pick up line?!?!?!? That's the first I've heard of it!

"What it is", is too. Now, I have heard some "bruthas" (correct down here) respond that way, but NEVER as a gay pick up line. I'll have to ask my gay cousin.

Bill, the question I have for you is, do you use "mynez" on your po-boys?

My grandmother (dad's side, upper 9th) uses "erl" and "zink".

I do use "bra", but mainly as a joke with an old friend when he calls.

Now in the 80's, I did use " 'ey bra, wherey'at! " allot, but now just say "where y'at" except w/ dad's neighbor I use "where y'at cuz".

GregW
02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
OMG, I just looked up "where y'at" just to see what's there.

Gay pick up line?!?!?!? That's the first I've heard of it!

I'll have to ask my gay cousin.

So what is <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> being said here? https://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evil/evilgrin0039.gif

ecurie_ecosse
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Who dat sayin where y'at? :devilgrin: :jester:

Stuart. :cheers:

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Bill, the question I have for you is, do you use "mynez" on your po-boys?

Only on my Eryster or Swimp po-boy, never on Roast Beef. Always get my po-boys "dressed."

Ever park on the "neutral ground" when you went to "make groceries?"

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
<span style="font-style: italic">WhereYat, Chumutha!</span>

Famous Yat greeting. White socks, hair slicked straight back, double tee shirt, black leather shoes and sailor's jeans. Pull way up.

02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Bill, where was that pic taken of sis an da Vette?

poolboy
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Famous Yat greeting. White socks, hair slicked straight back, double tee shirt, black leather shoes and sailor's jeans. Pull way up.
You paint a great pitcher there, Bill. Forgot about dem jeans.

02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
[quote=kellysguy]

Ever park on the "neutral ground"

Na, bra, it's nutra ground. Dat where dem nutra live in Jef'son Pa'ish. Hairy Lee dun said shewt dem bas'tadas!!!

Can't seem to say median, but have to here as some folks don't understand.

poolboy
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Median ? Ain't that that town up there ?

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM

...On his way to da moo'n pitcher show on Saddy nite!

An' da only place to make groceries wuz at Shwagmin's, dahlin! Did'n need no neutral ground.

02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Median ? Ain't that that town up there ?

. :lol:

02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
My Model 42 came frum Shwagmans. $62 then.

Gotta luv a place you can buy, beer, bread, outboard motors and shotguns.

I missed those times, but dad was in on 'em.

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Bill, where was that pic taken of sis an da Vette?

At my momma's house, in Oakdale.

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Every man, woman and child is called "Heart."

poolboy
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
We lived in Baton Rouge when that big store opened on Airline Hwy.on the outskirts of New Orleans. My parents packed up me and my sister and headed down there to make groceries.
I don't remember much except coming home with what must have been the worlds largest pencil to play with. That, and waiting in the car while Mom and Dad went into Airline Motors in Laplace to get one for the road.
I do remember, (after I growed up) when John, got busted by the Department of Agriculture for shooting up his hams with water. I don't remember if it cost him anything other than some bad publicity, though.

TR6BILL
02-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I do remember, (after I growed up) when John, got busted by the Department of Agriculture for shooting up his hams with water. I don't remember if it cost him anything other than some bad publicity, though.

It's legal now....just gotta tell them that it is 20% added by weight for "seasoning and natural juices."

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 03:52 PM
We lived in Baton Rouge when that big store opened on Airline Hwy.on the outskirts of New Orleans. My parents packed up me and my sister and headed down there to make groceries.
I don't remember much except coming home with what must have been the worlds largest pencil to play with. That, and waiting in the car while Mom and Dad went into Airline Motors in Laplace to get one for the road.

Remember the Howard Johnson's on Airline Hwy in BR? My dad was manager there in the late sixties. Lived onsite while I attended LSU. Worked in the restaurant for a while, then over at Montgomery Ward's in Bon Marche'.

Made many a trip down Airline Hwy. before I-10 opened up.

poolboy
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah, I sure do. Where else could you find mint chocolate chip ice cream ? I bought a few sets of tires at Montgomery Ward's too.
In fact, when I was real young, stopping at the Montgomery Wards down on Third Street on Saturdays with my grandfather was traditional.
Man, has Baton Rouge changed.

Mickey Richaud
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, I sure do. Where else could you find mint chocolate chip ice cream ? I bought a few sets of tires at Montgomery Ward's too.
In fact, when I was real young, stopping at the Montgomery Wards down on Third Street on Saturdays with my grandfather was traditional.
Man, has Baton Rouge changed.

That ain't all that's changed:

poolboy
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I was <span style="font-style: italic">almost </span> afraid to open that link, Mickey,when I saw the title. OMG, I thought <span style="font-weight: bold">that's </span> changed, too. :cryin:

02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I was <span style="font-style: italic">almost </span> afraid to open that link, Mickey,when I saw the title. OMG, I thought <span style="font-weight: bold">that's </span> changed, too. :cryin:

Aint there no more!

poolboy
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
:lol:

poolboy
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Hyatt got into the spirit.
Last night during the parade they turned off the "H" on their big roof top sign. ..
<span style="font-size: 17pt">YATT </span> :banana: :banana: :jester: :banana: :banana:

Mickey Richaud
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Hyatt got into the spirit.
Last night during the parade they turned off the "H" on their big roof top sign. ..
<span style="font-size: 17pt">YATT </span> :banana: :banana: :jester: :banana: :banana:

ONLY in New Orleans! :thumbsup:

02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
The T shgirt I designed:

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/kellysguy/aintsfinalproof.jpg

TR6BILL
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I like it.

poolboy
02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Me too !! You know the NOPD estimates a half milliom people were on the streets last night for the parade. I bet you could have sold a few before anyone could stop you.

02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Everyone who see it loves it and wants one. Bobby Hebert and Deke Belavia each have one.

I don't want to sell them on the street. They're in the "Who Dat Shoppe" in Slidell and I was talking w/ Rouses' about carring them but it fell through. Might do a web site next season. I have about 13 of 'em left.

poolboy
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah, there's been so much of that licensing hub bub in the past couple of weeks, I could see Rouse hesitating.
Once those T-shirts get out on the street, you're going to need hundreds.

02-11-2010, 09:30 AM
It was way before that and there is no copyright infringments. I own the copyrights on anything anywhere close to this design or phrase. NO infringements on Benny G either.

It does look nice. We only did them in black.

DART
02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Kellysguy- send me a PM if you want to sell a couple.