PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal cover removel?

JonnyRotten
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
The uppermost bolt has a clip on the top side.The bolt keeps spinning but wont come loose from the clip.Is that clip part of the housing or should i pry It off.The master cylinder housing is off.TR3A

martx-5
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Are you taking off the piece under the dash just below the pedal assembly??

If so, those bolts go into weld nuts. If it's spinning, it sounds like the weld nut has broken loose. Put a vise grip on it and you should be able to back it out.

JonnyRotten
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Its the long narrow piece under the dash whose bolts also hold down the master cylinder housing.Its not the welded nuts,those bolts I got out.There's one bolt that has a retaining type clip that appears to be permanently mounted(same area as welded bolts)That bolt is spinning INSIDE that clip but wont come out.maybe Ill sawsall the bolt off from under dash?

martx-5
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
OK, I'm looking at the parts book, and my car. There are eight fastener's holding that piece in. The lower forward one goes through the front of the firewall into a weld nut. The three rearmost bolts go into weld nuts in the in the master cyl. housing, and then there are four studs that are welded to the piece you are taking out that go up though the master housing and are held up top with nuts. I do not see any other fasteners.

Maybe one of those studs broke off, and the previous owner replaced it with a nut and bolt.

Edit: Give me call if you're still having trouble.

TR3driver
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Maybe one of those studs broke off, and the previous owner replaced it with a nut and bolt. That's my guess, too.

FWIW, I find that one of these (https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95578) plus one of these (https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45432) works a lot better than a Sawzall for things like this.

DNK
02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Do you have a manual?