View Full Version : THE WHO!

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
On the Super Bowl halftime show now!

PINBALL WIZARD

TEENAGE WASTELAND

TR4nut
02-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Saints are hanging tough, 2nd quarter much better than the 1st. They need to let Drew throw!

Basil
02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Looks like it could be an exciting game!

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Who said sexagenarians can't rock??!!

These guys are still fantastic!

Oh, and the Saints are doing great, too!

DrEntropy
02-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Admitting I'm watchin' it, I got a shiver from them. I'm out inna garage an' it's cold tho.

I claim th' same as buyin' Playboy for th' articles: I'm watchin' simply fer th' commercials. :jester:

Gliderman8
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not even watching... there, I said it... feels good!
Give me a good premier league soccer game ANYTIME.
Real men play with no time outs :banana:
Please, no stones in my direction :nonono:

Note to doc.... sometimes I even read the articles :jester:

JPSmit
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
they have articles?

scoutll
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
they have articles?

Yea, thats all them words and stuff that take up space they could be devotin' to pictures!

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2010, 09:14 PM

One of the announcers just said something very profound. I'm sure not too many people heard it, but it sums up where I'm coming from:

"The city that's used to hosting so many super bowls - now playing in one."

Truer words...

AND NOW THE SAINTS ARE IN THE LEAD!!!

Basil
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM

One of the announcers just said something very profound. I'm sure not too many people heard it, but it sums up where I'm coming from:

Truer words...

A little tense there for a moment as they reviewed the instant replay! It was a close call!

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Truer words...

A little tense there for a moment as they reviewed the instant replay! It was a close call!

But the right one!!!

Basil
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
INTERCEPTION! TD!!! I can hear Tony jumping for joy!

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I'M JUMPIN' WITH HIM!!!

Basil
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I'M JUMPIN' WITH HIM!!!

Careful old man - don't pull nothin'!

Basil
02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I can only image what it must be like down on the French Quarter!

DrEntropy
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Porter just closed th' deal, methinks.

bgbassplyr
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I can begin to hear the fat lady warming up.

do ra me fa sol la ti N.O.!

DrEntropy
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
INTERCEPTION! TD!!! I can hear Tony jumping for joy!

I said that very thing to 'smits.

terriphill
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Mardi Gras just started about two weeks early! I just hope they don't tear that town apart.

Roger
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints!!!!!
Who dat, Who Dat?

Roger
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Just been talking to my Cajun friends near N'Awlins. I could drive on down there - it's only 400 miles - and they'll still be partying!

DART
02-07-2010, 11:51 PM
We'll be there the 3rd week of March, just because we've never been there. Hope something is left.

Can't think about the win without thinking of Tony.

Geaux Saints!!!

Mickey Richaud
02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Roger & Dale:

New Orleans doesn't need a Super Bowl win to party. They party every day that has a "y" in it! :wink:

ecurie_ecosse
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Roger & Dale:

New Orleans doesn't need a Super Bowl win to party. They party every day that has a "y" in it! :wink:

Mais yeah, Mickey. And then some. :devilgrin: :jester:

Stuart. :cheers:

jsfbond
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
[quote=Mickey Richaud]Who said sexagenarians can't rock??!!

Sexagenarians?? Is that like a person that keeps track of.......? How would one apply for that title?

ecurie_ecosse
02-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Sexagenarians?? Is that like a person that keeps track of.......? How would one apply for that title?

By surviving. :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM

By surviving. :devilgrin:

Yeah, you right!

Basil
02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Speaking of the Who, how many of you knew that the drummer backing The Who at the Super Bowl show was Ringo Starr's son, Zach.

DNK
02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Me

GregW
02-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Not me :blush:

MadRiver
02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I did as well! In fact, Keith Moon and Ringo were great friends, and it was Keith who bought Zach his first drum kit -- the story goes that Ringo didn't want to pressure his son to become a drummer, but Keith didn't have any qualms about it! I've seen Zach live many times with Pete and Rog, and he is one heck of a drummer. At the risk of causing controversy, he is *much* more talented than his father.

Other Who facts -- the keyboard player, John "Rabbit" Bundrick, has been playing with The Who since 1979. He's the only American in the group. Since John Entwistle's death (*weep*), famed session bassist Pino Paladino has filled in that spot. Pino is Welsh.

I've seen the boys live many times, and while Keith was certainly a loss that altered the band's sound, John was irreplaceable. The Ox was, quite simply, a virtuoso who more than anyone else influenced how the bass guitar is used in modern rock and roll.

To wit:

Thunder Fingers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw )

I met Big Bad Johnny Twinkle in 2000 -- he used to do caricature illustrations of The Who and other musicians. I have one of John's hand-colored lithos of The Who that I purchased at an art gallery, and the man himself signed it and personalized it. He also signed my copy of The Who by Numbers, the band's 1975 album. John did the cover art.

Bit of a Who fan. I used to wear a blazer made from Union Jacks to high school. I still have the jacket, but alas, it no longer fits. So, when I was in London in December, I made my way to Carnaby Street and bought a new (slightly larger) one!

Long Live Rock!

Basil
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Ok Bill, here's a bit of trivia that might stump you (unless you cheat and use Google).
What member of a famous 70s era rock band is an engineer who has actually been a consultant to the Pentigon on missile defense systems? If you get this without cheating I'll be impressed.

MadRiver
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Yikes Basil, you've got me there! I must admit that my mastery of rock trivia doesn't extend much beyond The Who and the Grateful Dead!

scoutll
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I am going to guess Tom Scholz or Gary Pihl of Boston.

BIBBER
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
now I'm curious...did find in trying to Google

The Fugs had a track (3:21)
Exorcising the Evil Spirits from the Pentagon

Now who amongst us claims they remember the FUGS! :crazyeyes:

Life is funny, life is free...

bgbassplyr
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I did as well! In fact, Keith Moon and Ringo were great friends, and it was Keith who bought Zach his first drum kit -- the story goes that Ringo didn't want to pressure his son to become a drummer, but Keith didn't have any qualms about it! I've seen Zach live many times with Pete and Rog, and he is one heck of a drummer. At the risk of causing controversy, he is *much* more talented than his father.

Other Who facts -- the keyboard player, John "Rabbit" Bundrick, has been playing with The Who since 1979. He's the only American in the group. Since John Entwistle's death (*weep*), famed session bassist Pino Paladino has filled in that spot. Pino is Welsh.

I've seen the boys live many times, and while Keith was certainly a loss that altered the band's sound, John was irreplaceable. The Ox was, quite simply, a virtuoso who more than anyone else influenced how the bass guitar is used in modern rock and roll.

To wit:

Thunder Fingers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw )

I met Big Bad Johnny Twinkle in 2000 -- he used to do caricature illustrations of The Who and other musicians. I have one of John's hand-colored lithos of The Who that I purchased at an art gallery, and the man himself signed it and personalized it. He also signed my copy of The Who by Numbers, the band's 1975 album. John did the cover art.

Bit of a Who fan. I used to wear a blazer made from Union Jacks to high school. I still have the jacket, but alas, it no longer fits. So, when I was in London in December, I made my way to Carnaby Street and bought a new (slightly larger) one!

Long Live Rock!

My favorite bass player (and I am one myself, but not like this I'm afraid) i Vick Wooten. Meet him here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWANfBtELlc&feature=related

rustbucket
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok Bill, here's a bit of trivia that might stump you (unless you cheat and use Google).
What member of a famous 70s era rock band is an engineer who has actually been a consultant to the Pentigon on missile defense systems? If you get this without cheating I'll be impressed.

Is it one of the members of Queen? Brian May maybe. I remember a story about somebody like that getting a doctorate in some advanced discipline like astrophysics. Must Google now...

rustbucket
02-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Google/ Wikipedia confirmed he did get PhD in astrophysics. Nothing about missile defense systems. He did have an asteroid named after him though.

Basil
02-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Is it one of the members of Queen? Brian May maybe. I remember a story about somebody like that getting a doctorate in some advanced discipline like astrophysics. Must Google now...

Nope, not a member of Queen. Here's a hint. He was not one of the original members of the group in question. He had been a member of a previous rather famous group before joining as a lead guitarist of this later group in 1974. He was a member of this famous group from 1974 until around 1980. This group had many hit records and were on of the defining groups of the 1970s. Although the group's name implies they are related, they are not.

vping
02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Hmmm. Doobies?

hilsideser
02-13-2010, 10:01 AM
now I'm curious...did find in trying to Google

The Fugs had a track (3:21)
Exorcising the Evil Spirits from the Pentagon

Now who amongst us claims they remember the FUGS! :crazyeyes:

Life is funny, life is free...

...well, I used to play Happy Mother's Day" for my Mom on Mother's Day for many years! She loved it! (good sport and best friend, too.)

hilsideser
02-13-2010, 10:16 AM
[quote=MadRiver]

My favorite bass player (and I am one myself, but not like this I'm afraid) i Vick Wooten. Meet him here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWANfBtELlc&feature=related

Funny that you're into Victor Wooten. My Son Elliott's old band is getting together tonite to play at "Head Lites" on Main street, <span style="font-style: italic">in beautiful downtown Waynesville </span>tonite Jim. Come out and I'll buy the grog!

His drummer is back in from another tour in Iraq and somehow they lined up a gig. Band name is/was <span style="font-style: italic">The Influence </span>. It got hijacked several years ago, so they dropped it. Anyway, Elliott did a Musician's Workshop class with Victor in Asheville and had Victor sign his Fender. Elliott also plays a mean slap bass on his Worwick. So...

<span style="font-style: italic">Tonite only...</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">The Infleunce</span>, Head Lites on Main Street, Watnesville...be there or be square!

Basil
02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Hmmm. Doobies?

Good guess. Ok, I suspect no one will get this unless you're in the same business as I am, or just googled it. The answer is Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Baxter) . There is a reason I know about him, but if I told you I'd have to have you kidnapped and removed to a remote camp in Siberia :rolleyes:

vping
02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Well it could have been Doobie Brothers, Blues Brothers or Allman Brothers. Kinda figured it out from there.

Basil
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Well it could have been Doobie Brothers, Blues Brothers or Allman Brothers. Kinda figured it out from there.

I think I still have the DB's on 8-track stashed around here somewhere!

GregW
02-13-2010, 11:03 AM
if I told you I'd have to have you kidnapped and removed to a remote camp in Siberia :rolleyes:
Can you tell me, then send me to a tropical isle instead. Logistically it would cost about the same. :angel:

Basil
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
if I told you I'd have to have you kidnapped and removed to a remote camp in Siberia :rolleyes:
Can you tell me, then send me to a tropical isle instead. Logistically it would cost about the same. :angel:

No, but here's a video of my man, Jeff, discussing a topic other than music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/H7Twg_NpQmkg_NpQmk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

hilsideser
02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
And once again, truth is stranger than fiction...

aeronca65t
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
OK, I <span style="text-decoration: underline">love</span> the Who, and I've seen them live.

But like many really great bands, there is a time when I kind of wish they'd "rest on their laurels" and pack it in.

I saw the half-time show too. Me = Not Impressed

By the way, if you want to know about another entertainer that's (indirectly) related to missle defense (as well as the entire subject of frequency hopping), check out the bio of iconic actress, ~Heddy Lamarr~ (https://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html) .

Ms. Lamarr

https://img.listal.com/image/118795/500full-hedy-lamarr.jpg

Basil
02-13-2010, 11:36 AM

You have no idea! This concept was one of many of Jeff's brain childs:

https://www.youtube.com/v/JzEaua0ePGIua0ePGI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Basil
02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
OK, I <span style="text-decoration: underline">love</span> the Who, and I've seen them live.

But like many really great bands, there is a time when I kind of wish they'd "rest on their laurels" and pack it in.

I saw the half-time show too. Me = Not Impressed

By the way, if you want to know about another entertainer that's (indirectly) related to missle defense (as well as the entire subject of frequency hopping), check out the bio of iconic actress, ~Heddy Lamarr~ (https://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html) .

Ms. Lamarr

https://img.listal.com/image/118795/500full-hedy-lamarr.jpg

Yeah, but can she play guitar! :square:

aeronca65t
02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
There are *so* many good answers to that..... :devilgrin:

But we have these stupid behaviour rules here. :jester:

BIBBER
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
thats's "HEDLEY"!!!!

ooopss..sorry wrong Lamarr...

GregW
02-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Can you tell me, then send me to a tropical isle instead.

No

Darn, well if I see this guy, I know to grab my snowshoes.
https://sameasitev.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/john_cleese.jpg

TRDejaVu
02-13-2010, 01:32 PM

You have no idea! This concept was one of many of Jeff's brain childs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzEaua0ePGI
Ah, the good old "modified SF2 Block 4". The narrator made the opening of that video sound like he was going to describe the Turbo Encabulator as previously highlighted on BCF.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4)

aeronca65t
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
thats's "HEDLEY"!!!!

ooopss..sorry wrong Lamarr...

Love ~That Movie~ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoM-ZC7uNnc) ! :jester: