PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Proper screws for a TR3A interior

Photo703
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I am having the whole interior redone on my TR3A. The judging guide says it was fastened with #4 slotted screws with cups. Is that just the door panels? The screws in the panels in the sides seem larger. Were they flat or domed sheet metal screws. Do the big three sell a screw kit for the interior? I appreciate the help in advance. Photos and descriptions would be terrific.

All the best,
Photo 703

TR4nut
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
If you haven't done so and need parts, check out Macy's Garage (https://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/tr2_3_hdwe.htm) Mark Macy has put together hardware kits which are well researched for what you need in your interior.

Randy

toysrrus
02-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Hi There "All the Best",

For sure; Check out "Macys Garage". Mark Macy is a very helpful & "Super" knowledgable person when it comes to Triumph Side Curtain cars. He was / is a Concours Judge! His sets are complete and 100% correct. You can`t go wrong.

Regards, Russ

angelfj1
02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I am having the whole interior redone on my TR3A. The judging guide says it was fastened with #4 slotted screws with cups. Is that just the door panels? The screws in the panels in the sides seem larger. Were they flat or domed sheet metal screws. Do the big three sell a screw kit for the interior? I appreciate the help in advance. Photos and descriptions would be terrific.

All the best,
Photo 703

Welcome to the forum

Depending on the commission number of your car, that is, the point when it was manufactured, you may have some reinforcement members made of hardwood. If you have the interior apart its easy enough to see under the scuttle, behind the door panels, etc. Depending on the material, wood or metal, you will be using either a wood screw or a sheetmetal screw.

A review of my notes and both the Triumph Spare Parts Catalog and Standard-Triumph Hardware Catalog indicates the following:

For attachment of

SCUTTLE EDGE ROLL TRIM
DOOR PANELS
TONNEAU CAPPINGS
DOG LEG PANELS

For wood, use part number SP.89H2/CP - No.4 x 5/8" Oval Countersunk Head Chrome Plated WOOD SCREW

For metal, use part number YA.0165/CP - No.4 x 5/8" Oval Countersunk Head Chrome Plated SHEET METAL SCREW

Both of these screws look identical after attachment. The wood screw has a short lenth of smooth shank below the head and before the threads begin. (like all wood screws)

With both of these No. 4 screws use No. 4 cup washer - SP.132B/CP

All of this hardware should be chrome plated.

Note 1. - screws are slotted head type.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/trim_screw.jpg

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/trim_screw-2.jpg

GOOD LUCK

Photo703
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
As always, members of the forum have the right answers!

I ordered the stainless steel interior fastener kit from Mark Macy tonight. That should make my upholsterer happy. Thank you gentlemen for your spot-on answers.

Photo703