PDA

View Full Version : BMIHT Question

UmmYeahOk
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I want to know if my car has a matching numbers engine. This will help me decide on whether or not to fix, or just swap in something else. Will a heritage certificate tell me that, or do I need the technical specs sheet instead?

Mickey Richaud
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
The Heritage Cert. will include the engine no.

hilsideser
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
In answewr to this, let me tell you what my buddie Bob keep s saying to me: put the thing back together, fix the brakes and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">drive it like you stole it!</span></span> :driving:

I think in the larger picture, originality may be a forgiveable sin. You could always keep the original "to be rebuilt in the future"....

...just my take on things...

Andrew Mace
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Judging by the numbers you posted on your web site, it is the original engine or so very close to it that no one would fault you; on other words, it is a "correct" early GT6 engine, but not the "earliest" GT6 engine (change being at engine number KC5001)!

UmmYeahOk
02-03-2010, 12:43 PM
In answewr to this, let me tell you what my buddie Bob keep s saying to me: put the thing back together, fix the brakes and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">drive it like you stole it!</span></span> :driving:

I think in the larger picture, originality may be a forgiveable sin. You could always keep the original "to be rebuilt in the future"....

...just my take on things...

well I plan on driving the daylights out of it and ocassionally letting my husband drive it like he stole it, since he was so nice to crack my bearing caps---I mean beacuse he's so nice and does the majority of the work. =)

I wanted this to be as original as possible because originality is worth more for resale. I don't have any children right now, but it would be nice to leave them a cool expensive rare British sports car. It's better than a storage unit full of hsn dolls (grandma), easier to sell too.

We're a special type of hobbyists. We sell working engines and scrap none working ones. I almost scraped 2 because each took over a year to sell. This hunk of iron is probably worth $40. And the space in my garage is worth more....

....but because you mentioned that I wonder. It's already caused us both a lot of physical damage. Long term storage really isn't an option for us right now. We can barely fit two cars in the garage as it is (the gt6 parks outside) Hot Rod TV did an episode on flat heads and show the blocks being stored outside exposed to the elements. This shop rebuilds and resells these rusted bits! Is outdoor storage possible?

For this, I will store long term inside ONLY if it's numbers matching. If not, it gets recycled, unless you think someone may want a block with cracked main bearing caps

hilsideser
02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
advertise it on the Spit &amp; GT6 website, make a real price. Someone will show interest.

Now, on "junking" parts, only if was Miata or something...

Andrew Mace
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
You've already done a lot of work with this block and the rest of the engine. If if were my project, I'd go ahead and find good main bearing caps and have them machined to fit the original block. If you're very, very lucky, you'll find another similar ("correct") engine, but likely as not you'll end up spending as much or more time and effort on it. Odds are, someone will have a good set of caps from an otherwise unusable engine. (I happen to have just such an engine, but I'm 2000 miles from Texas and currently am unable to devote the time needed to get to and remove main bearing caps. If I could, I would....)

In other words: you've gone this far, so why start over?

UmmYeahOk
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
advertise it on the Spit &amp; GT6 website, make a real price. Someone will show interest.

Now, on "junking" parts, only if was Miata or something...

Last night my husband was researching options. One was a complete miata swap. I told him that the cars a GT "SIX"

You've already done a lot of work with this block and the rest of the engine. If if were my project, I'd go ahead and find good main bearing caps and have them machined to fit the original block. If you're very, very lucky, you'll find another similar ("correct") engine, but likely as not you'll end up spending as much or more time and effort on it. Odds are, someone will have a good set of caps from an otherwise unusable engine. (I happen to have just such an engine, but I'm 2000 miles from Texas and currently am unable to devote the time needed to get to and remove main bearing caps. If I could, I would....)

In other words: you've gone this far, so why start over?

well actually all I've done to the block is spray water and brush the cooling area to remove as much rust as possible. The paint for the engine came in yesterday. I don't know if you saw the other thread yet, but it looks like I have a free mk1 engine waiting for me in a nearby town. I can reuse my milled crank if the new one appears bad (probable will anyway) I haven't installed piston rings. So as long as this new motor doesn't have scuffed up cylinder walss I should be fine.

swift6
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
well actually all I've done to the block is spray water and brush the cooling area to remove as much rust as possible.

You mean there was no machining done to your block, but you had the crank machined for new bearings?

UmmYeahOk
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
The pistons looked good and the cylinder walls looked good too. We were just going to replace the rings. Since the bearings looked bad, we had the crank machined