PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 adjustable control arms

tr8todd
02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I need to make up a couple of more sets of adjustable upper rear control arms. With these arms, you turn them to lengthen or shorten them. This allows you to rotate the rear axle to get a better pinion angle. Most of the TR8s out there are either running lower springs on a stock rear end or are running a Ford rear end, which causes the rear end to rotate. The ones I have made up in the past use urethane bushed rod ends that have a grease fitting. They screw into either a steel or aluminum rod tube, and lock down with lock nuts. If this sounds interesting to anybody, I can post the info so you can order them up yourself. I'm not trying to make any money here, just spreading the do it yourself TR8 improvements gospel. Here is a link to the place where I get the rod ends. The rods can be purchased at all of the speed part dealers, but the bushed rod ends are hard to find.

https://www.suicidedoors.com/catalog/4-link-parts/4-link-bushings

alfa33047
02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Being able to set your pinion angle is great for racing. When we road raced cars with solid live axles rear ends (Mazdas and Alfas), we would always set our pinion angles at 7 degrees (pinion down) which would help rotate the torque to the rear tires. Never tried it on cars with an independent rear suspenion. Bill C. Mesa, Az.

tr8todd
02-03-2010, 10:01 AM
TR8s have a solid axle. My only experience with independent rears is the one in my BMW 2002. One thing I forgot to mention in the first post. Our control arms are 1 7/8" wide and 1 3/4" round. The smallest the ones in the above link are 2" by 2". You have to shave a 1/16' off of both sides to get them to fit. The center steel sleeve also needs to be replaced because the TR8 only uses a 7/16 mounting bolt.

7sand8s
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm interested tell me more.
Thanks

DNK
02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Welcome 7's and 8's
Where in the MD are you?

tr8todd
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
I ordered up the pieces to put them together over the weekend. Once I get them and screw them together, I'll snap a photo. Right now all I have here is ones with standard rod ends. They are the spherical steel bearing type and were on one of the TR8 race cars. Some people use them on street cars, but I find them too harsh for a road going car. I'll go out to the garage an dig them out and snap a photo. They won't have the bushed rod end, but you can get the idea.

tr8todd
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Here is what they look like with spherical rod ends and aluminum spacers.

7sand8s
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
DNK Frederick area

tr8todd I'm still interested

DNK
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Another Frederick area guy.
Are you familiar with Mike who is toward Gettysburg I believe.

WedgeWorks
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
7sand8s Im in Ellicott City glad to see another "wedgehead"!

tr8todd
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I am still waiting on some pieces. I decided to make up a couple of lower control arms with adjustable spring perches while I was at it. I have parts coming from 4 different places. As far as the top bars go, I ordered aluminum tubes from Afco. Stock length is just over 17" center to center, so use a 13" rod. The rod ends will make up the rest of the length.

https://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_US...e=hp_alum-tubes (https://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code =20049&Category_Code=hp_alum-tubes)

The bushed rod ends came from the site I posted above. You will need two right hand and two left hand threaded rod ends. Go with the 3/4 16 threaded ones that are 2" wide. They will need to be cut down to 1 7/8 wide, but thats not a big deal. They only come with a sleeve that accepts a 9/16 bolt. Stock rear mounting bolts are 7/16. You will need new sleeves or drill the mounts and use larger bolts. Just screw them together and mount them on the car.

The lower mounts are much more difficult. They require some cutting and welding DOM steel tube. They have to be very strong to support the springs.