PDA

View Full Version : New Wiki and Latest

angelfj1
02-02-2010, 08:31 AM
See new wiki here.

Restore your Bluemels Steering Wheel (https://www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Restoring+a+Vintage+Bluemels+Steeri ng+Wheel)

See updated wiki here. (go to the very end of the article for details)

Smiths Heater Matrices now available (https://www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Restoring+Smiths+Heaters)

tdskip
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
These are great write-ups Frank, thanks for making the effort to document this.

angelfj1
02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
A pleasure! :yesnod:

Tinkerman
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Another great job Frank!

TR4nut
02-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Frank-

You need to toot your horn a lot more than just quietly submitting that wiki article. I've seen many mangled adjustable wheels but your write up shows clearly the design weakness that causes them all to fail. And I can't believe you resurrected that wheel as well as you did. I have one of these in the garage right now, but it is missing ALL of the bakelite on the rim - care to give that one a go? :smile:

Randy

TRDejaVu
02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice job Frank.

angelfj1
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Frank-

You need to toot your horn a lot more than just quietly submitting that wiki article. I've seen many mangled adjustable wheels but your write up shows clearly the design weakness that causes them all to fail. And I can't believe you resurrected that wheel as well as you did. I have one of these in the garage right now, but it is missing ALL of the bakelite on the rim - care to give that one a go? :smile:

Randy

Are you saying that you have nothing but a steel rim? If so, that would be beyond repair. Maybe a conversation piece? I have another (extra) standard wheel that needs to be restored. If you are interested, PM me.

TR4nut
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Frank-

I inherited an adjustable wheel that someone (not me, really!) thought they could add a wood rim to it. Didn't work obviously, so they tossed it to me and now I use it as a temporary wheel for moving the frame around. At least I did when the suspension was still attached!

Randy

Vaark01
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Frank,

Outstanding! Thank you.

Paul

martx-5
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Terrific write-up Frank.

One thing I've noticed about the TR3 wheels over the years...the adjustable wheels always seem to have major degradation of the bakelite rim, whereas the non-adjustable wheels rarely deteriorate except for an occasional crack. My non-adjustable wheel has one small crack, but is otherwise in perfect shape. My buddies TR3 adjustable wheel needed major surgery just as you outlined in your article. I guess the quality of the Bakelite in the two wheels was vastly different.

NutmegCT
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Frank - that is really excellent work. Congrats both on the wheel restoration, and the wiki page.

I had no idea there was a safe way to restore those steering wheels. Thanks!
Tom

TR4nut
02-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I guess the quality of the Bakelite in the two wheels was vastly different.

I think its just the way the spokes are attached to the outer rim - not much support there so everything breaks. I've seen several old ones that had that flex issue, the old non-adjustable wheels don't seem to have near the flex issue.

angelfj1
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Randy: I agree with your theory. As I stated in the writeup, owners would often use the steering wheel as leverage to extricate themselves from these cars. This Bakelite material just could not handle the repeated stress. A similar problem can be found in Michelotti bodied TR's. In this case using the wheel/column for leverage would result in failure of the steering column support at the firewall. This is a classic thing. I have never seen one of these cars where this piece hasn't either been repaired/replaced or needed the same.