PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Front Fender Alignment

mountainman
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Hello All, I have my 59 TR3 in the body shop and I am not sure if there should be any space between the rear of the front fenders and the front of the door down at the bottom where the rocker panels are. I hope I have explained my question right. A close up picture would be great. I have looked at a lot of TR's but haven't been able to find one that shows what I need.
Thanks
Greg

MGTF1250Dave
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Aloha Greg,

He is a photo of my car. As you can see there is a slight gap betweem the rear edge of the front fender and the outer sill.

Banjo
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Best plan is to hang the door, get the rear and bottom door gaps right, then adjust the front fender to the door. (make sure the bonnet gaps are ok too) whatever gap you get at the rocker is ok as long as it's not excessive.

mallard
02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't know if your asking if there should be a seam or not between the bottom of the fender and the sill. If you are there should be one. On alot of rusted cars you see have the seam filled in. Also there is a seam on top of the rear fender on later cars.

mountainman
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your input and Dave the picture shows what I need.
Thanks anyone so much
Greg

Don Elliott
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Here is a close-up of the RHS door on a late TR3A that I finished in 2006. The complete bottom 10" on the front fender plus the pieces that secure it to the inner sill at the bottom are new sheetmetal that I MIG welded to replace the rot. The outer sill you see is a new repro and the door was rusted right through about 3" back and 3" up. So I was able to match the gaps as shown by welding in new metal.