PDA

View Full Version : What to do when it's too cold outside?

terriphill
01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I decided to learn how to make bread....
Here's my first attempt.

DNK
01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Where's the jam?

Terry, that's why they make bread machines

bgbassplyr
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Which side do you butter?

70herald
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
That looks really good.

Gliderman8
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Which side do you butter?

Jim- I'm still trying to decide between paper or plastic <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif
And by the way, everyone knows you butter the top side.

Basil
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
The best, most useful present I ever got my wife for Christmas was this Zojirushi bread maker! It does everything! Just toss in the ingredients and push a button! It makes all kinds of bread, including zucchini, banana, Italian, you name it! My wife says its the best present I ever bought her and she has been using it regularly for over 20 years! The best $300 I ever spent!

Basil
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Looks like you can get them for considerably less now! (https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB-HAC10-1-Pound-Loaf-Programmable-Breadmaker/dp/B000G32H84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;s=home-garden&amp;qid=1264965084&amp;sr=8-2)

70herald
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM

I bake allot of bread and also own and use a bread machine. there really is no comparison between a good "real" bread and a bread machine loaf. The problem is that the bread machines don't knead the dough and kneading the dough is what turns the protein in the flour to gluten. They also don't let the yeast work for long enough.
Having said that, my bread machine turned on at 2:30 in the morning today, and I had a nice fresh loaf of bread ready for breakfast.

GregW
01-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Ya know, if you move that porcelain chicken, an ice cream machine would fit nicely next to the bread maker. :laugh:

Basil
01-31-2010, 02:39 PM
The problem is that the bread machines don't knead the dough and kneading the dough is what turns the protein in the flour to gluten. They also don't let the yeast work for long enough.

Not so with the one we own. It kneads the dough thoroughly and has a "rise" period (length of time depends on the type of bread you select). The bread we get from our Zojirushi is as good as any hand-made bread I've ever had...maybe better, more uniform. The only complaint I have (and its minor) is that your are limited to the size of the loaf.

terriphill
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Where's the jam?

I make the jam in the summer...peach, blackberry, blueberry and when I can get them, cherry.

I actually own a bread machine. It make round loaves and although good, tend to not have quite the texture of the hand kneaded bread. Plus, this recipe made 2 loaves that I sliced on our slicer so they would be uniform.

The boys must have liked it, I only have one loaf left.

I have never made homemade bread before, this might be fun!
I bet it would be awesome with some homemade mayonnaise, Petit Jean Bacon and a fresh sliced Garden tomato!!

Basil
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Where's the jam?

I make the jam in the summer...peach, blackberry, blueberry and when I can get them, cherry.

I actually own a bread machine. It make round loaves and although good, tend to not have quite the texture of the hand kneaded bread. Plus, this recipe made 2 loaves that I sliced on our slicer so they would be uniform.

The boys must have liked it, I only have one loaf left.

I have never made homemade bread before, this might be fun!
I bet it would be awesome with some homemade mayonnaise, Petit Jean Bacon and a fresh sliced Garden tomato!!

Just out of curiosity, what brand/model bread machine do you have? My sister-in-law has one that is not the same brand as ours and it doesn't make bread near as good as ours.

terriphill
01-31-2010, 04:47 PM
I have no idea. It's called "The Bread Machine" I'm sure it's not a terribly expensive one. I go it as a Christmas present about 15 or 20 years ago. I used it once or twice and then it sat in the appliance cabinet until last year when I got it back out and started using it again. It makes OK bread, but the loaves are round which makes round sandwiches. I have played around with several varieties of breads in it.
This morning I was stumbling around the internet when I ran across a website that was showing how to make your own bread, so I figured I'd give the old fashioned way a try. Easy and fun!
I made two loaves in about 2 1/2 hours. Now they are all sliced and wrapped up for us to have for sandwiches next week.

terriphill
01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Here's the web page that popped up that got this started...
White Bread (https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Traditional-White-Bread/Detail.aspx)