VC 12814.6 Failure to obey license provisions $214

VC 14600(A) Failue to notify DMV of address - $214
change within 10 days

Note: The fine may be reduced with -
valid proof of correction.

VC16028(A) Failure to provide evidence of financial- $796
responsibility (insurance)

Note:This fine may be reduced with proof of-
isurance on or after the violation date.

VC21453(A) Failure to stop at a red signal $436

VC22350
VC22349 Unsafe speed,1to 15 miles over the limit $214

VC22350
VC22349 Unsafe speed,16 to 25 miles over the limit $328

VC22450 Failure to stop at a stop sign $214

VC22454(A) Passing a school bus with flashing red-
signals $616

VC23123(A) Drive using wireless phone not hands free- $148
First offense

VC23123(A) Drive using wireless phone not hands free- $256
For each subsequent offense

VC23123.5(A) Drive while wireless device to send,read- $148
or write text

VC23124(B) Minor drive using wireless phone $148

VC22500(I) Parking in a bus loading zone $976

VC22507.8(A through C) Violation of disabled parking- $976
provisions,first offense

VC22507.8(A through C) Violation of disabled parking- $1876
provisions,second offense

VC26708(A) Unlawful material on vehicle windows $178

VC27150(A and B) Adequate muffler required $178

VC27315(D and E) Mandatory use of seat belts $148

VC27360(A and B) Mandatory use of child passenger- $436
restraints
Note:This fine may be reduced by completing a court-
authorized child seat diversion program.

VC27400 Headsets/Earplugs over both ears $178

VC27803 (A through C) Motorcycle safety helmets- $178
requirments

VC34506.3 Commercial Driver - Log book violation $616

VC4000(A) No evidence of current registration $256

Note: This fine may be reduced with valid proof-
of correction.

VC4159 Notify DMV of change of address- $178
within 10 days

Note:This fine may be reduced with valid proof-
of correction.

VC5200 Display of license plates $178

Note:This fine may be reduced with valid proof-
of correction.

VC9400(A through C) Commercial weight fees-
due $178

Doug

terriphill
01-29-2010, 05:35 PM
OUCH! Is this before they add the "court costs" to it?

RomanH
01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Those are outrageous!

Whats the fine for walking? :confuse:

01-29-2010, 06:09 PM
that's about the same for Louisiana.

AngliaGT
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Terri,

Yes it is - figure about another $100.People here think
that it's only about $20 for using a cell phone.It was about
$170 total,before the increased fines.
I got nailed by a Red light camera (it wasn't on purpose).
The fine was $340,& by the time I was done,it was $544!
I also find it interesting that it's $976 to park in a bus
zone,but $616 for passing a school bus w/flashing lights.

- Doug

rlwhitetr3b
01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
VC 14600(A) Failue to notify DMV of address - $214
change within 10 days

VC4159 Notify DMV of change of address- $178
within 10 days

They are going to charge you $178 to notify DMV and $214 if you don't? :crazyeyes:

Judging by the condition of the cars I see around here parked in strange places, I do not think some of they could pay the $1000 parking ticket.

Those fines are nuts!

AngliaGT
01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Different codes.I'd have to look them up to tell
you the difference.

- Doug

Stewart
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Going to get worse to. If they have there way all the red light cameras will also be used for speed cameras. $$$$$$$$$ It's just about at the point where a speeding ticket or other simple infraction can be as much or more than a morgage payment then there is the bending over the insurance company will do for the next few years on top of the fine.

01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Going to get worse to. If they have there way all the red light cameras will also be used for speed cameras. $$$$$$$$$ It's just about at the point where a speeding ticket or other simple infraction can be as much or more than a morgage payment then there is the bending over the insurance company will do for the next few years on top of the fine.

Red llight cameras were deemed unconstitutional in MS. Cities spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on them and can no longer use them for fines. Might want to remeber that if y'all go that route. They are using them in LA right now.

TOC
01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
When the legislature authorized red-light cameras in Washington, it was specifically for no more than a parking tickety, and they meant $25 parking ticket.
Town lawyers found that they could find the worst-case parking ticket (oh, expired tags in a handicapped spot) and started charging $275 or $300 for them.
I think they may be in for a surprise.

01-29-2010, 11:28 PM
One thing I refuse to do and drives me NUTS is when some yahoo parks in a handicap spot. I often see Vettes in them down here and it makes me mader than heck.

Now, I do admit, I use the handicrapper, even though I'm not a handicapper. I like the extra room. Never had to bolt due to a request for access.

'Bout $300 here for handicap violation. I don;t think there's a fine for checking the plumbing for them yet. :wink:

TOC
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I have a handicap placcard.
I have called the cops.
I have a friend, who drives, who is high quad, low para.
He's had to sit in his car and wait for 20 minutes at St. Arbucks for the slot to open.

Same fine here for parking in the striped load zone for ramps next to the handicap spot.

Odd thing is to go to the local VA hospital on a summer's day.
Every handicap spot is loaded with bikes, mosty Harleys, with dedicated handicapped license plates!

There's some brave souls!

AngliaGT
01-30-2010, 01:35 AM
That ticks me off when non-deseving people park in the
handicapped parking places.At work,I've had people tell me
"I'll only be a minute" - I tell them (back then)"well,that's
only $370 a minute".
Shame on you if you're using someone else's placard (or-
license plate).kellysguy,you should be ashamed - NO excuse!!
I also hate it when you say something to someone who IS
disabled,& they get irritated,I would like to think that
they'd appreciate people watching out for them.

- Doug

vagt6
01-30-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm for just about anything reasonable that curtails speeders (especially those in residential areas) and dangerous driving practices. Today's roads are just too crazy and "distracted driving" with all the electronic gizmos in today's cars is literally guaranteed to increase. I'm willing to sacrifice a little if it leads to catching the red light runners, etc. I never run red lights, wouldn't dream of it.

Problem with increasing fines is that the higher monetary penalties only affect the poor/middle class. Rich folk couldn't care less if the fine is $100 or $500, just pay it an speed away. To lower income folks, it can be crippling. Not fair.

Oh well, just be careful out there, it's a jungle . . . :yesnod:

rlwhitetr3b
01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Shame on you if you're using someone else's placard (or-
license plate).kellysguy,you should be ashamed - NO excuse!! - Doug

Now, I do admit, I use the handicrapper, even though I'm not a handicapper. I like the extra room. Never had to bolt due to a request for access.

Doug,
I think if you look at what kellysguy said again you will see that he was not talking about parking spaces or at least not car parking spaces. :jester: The restroom I use at work has only one stall, so I use the handicapped stall also.

01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
One thing I refuse to do and drives me NUTS, is when some yahoo parks in a handicap spot. I often see Vettes in them down here and it makes me mader than heck.

I keep an eye out for wheelchair wheels and walkers whilst I check the pumbing.

swift6
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
One thing I refuse to do and drives me NUTS is when some yahoo parks in a handicap spot. I often see Vettes in them down here and it makes me mader than heck.

Do the vettes have placards or plates. If so, why can't they park there? If not, it doesn't matter what they are driving. A very good friend of mine has a legitimate hip issue that allows her the issuance of a handicap placard. She used to drive a Miata. She kept getting tickets in her Miata for parking in a handicap space even though her placard was displayed. The thinking was that 'a handicapped person should not be able to drive a sports car'. Totally wrong thinking but it prevailed long enough to force her out of the Miata.

Twosheds
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Do the vettes have placards or plates. If so, why can't they park there? If not, it doesn't matter what they are driving. A very good friend of mine has a legitimate hip issue that allows her the issuance of a handicap placard. She used to drive a Miata. She kept getting tickets in her Miata for parking in a handicap space even though her placard was displayed. The thinking was that 'a handicapped person should not be able to drive a sports car'. Totally wrong thinking but it prevailed long enough to force her out of the Miata.

That's a shame. She is allowed to drive any car she wants to.

I have not gotten a ticket on my placarded TR3, though. Yet.

I think Kellysguy meant non-placarded Vettes.

Basil
01-30-2010, 03:48 PM
A co-worker and good friend of mine (former State Representative) has a VERY bad back and hips. The poor guy can walk, but only just! If anyone has a right to use a Handicapped space, he does - but he doesn't! He will park in any available non-handicapped space before using his placard. I asked him why, and he said because there are people who need the spaces more than he does!

I don't care what kind of car someone is driving, if they have a legitimate need for those spaces.

GregW
01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Do the vettes have placards or plates. If so, why can't they park there?
I agree, just because you're handicapped doesn't relegate you to a minivan. My dad had a bad stroke and his right side didn't work so well after that. Didn't stop him from getting a Formula Firebird though. I always got a smile thinking of that muscle car puling up to the pharmacy, having an old man with a cane get out.

01-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't care what kind of car someone is driving, if they have a legitimate need for those spaces.

I agree 100%.

JamesWilson
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree 100%.

:iagree:

One member with a Big Healey has a leg that's plastic from the knee down (not seen it myself, but...)

Besides his disabled parking badge he's had to use (repatriate) a LHD Healey rather than the RHD usually found on UK roads- because he can't get in from that side....

Randi
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
My husband has Agent Orange. After fighting 20 years he has finally been compansated disabled 70%. Our veterans's representitive signed us up for all the "perks" free fishing license, disabled veterans license plates, base permits, etc. My husband is dying at 61 years old. We have 18 classic cars on insurance right now. Everyone of them is going to get a disabled vet plate. You can also believe me that if he isn't in the car with me I will park in regular parking. Disabled deserves respect and human consideration. Also the speed camera's can only charge $25.00 here in Louisiana because the owner of the car is not always the driver. As a notary I did some work on one of those last week.

01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Also the speed camera's can only charge $25.00 here in Louisiana because the owner of the car is not always the driver. As a notary I did some work on one of those last week.

I heard JPSO is getting full pop on 'em.

Gotta buddy who was exposed to A.O in 'nam. If a skeeter bites him, it falls over dead in a few seconds. He attributes it to A.O.

Several thousand barrels of the stuff burried out here at Stennis Space Center. Supposed to not be harmful....but we have a REALLY high cancer rate around here. Higher than cancer alley, you know, the Mississippi river....the urinary tract of America.

Sorry to hear about your husband. I know sevral people who had medical conditions from that crap.

Bruce Bowker
01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't understand the opposition by some to red light cameras and heavy fines for those who go through a red light. Ever have someone broadside you or nearly kill a friend?

Basil
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't understand the opposition by some to red light cameras and heavy fines for those who go through a red light. Ever have someone broadside you or nearly kill a friend?

I witnessed a guy run a red light and take out several vehicles, then flee the scene! They caught up with him and I had to go to court as a witness. This was when I was in the middle of Finals for my Engineering degree and could not really afford the time I had to go to court several times. In the end, he got off shot free on some technicality!

TOC
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I know a guy (police and fire dispatcher, no less) who was making a left on a green, and got cut off by some yay-who running the red, so he was stuck in the intersection when it went red, and HE got the ticket, not the guy who ran the light!

Stewart
01-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Because they do little to nothing for saftey and are purely there to generate revenue.

swift6
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM

Because they do little to nothing for saftey and are purely there to generate revenue.

That criticism is more accurate for speed cameras than red light cameras. Red light cameras typically generate the most income right after they are installed. Then as it become known to the drivers that tend to 'push' a light that a particular intersection has red light cameras. Which is shortly after the first rounds of tickets start arriving in their mailboxes. The incidences of red light running begins to drop dramatically. Which results in a decrease in accidents as well as a decrease in revenue.

The red light camers around here trip if the intersection is entered after the light turns red. If your already sitting in the intersection, waiting for traffic, it will not trip the cameras.

TOC
02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
A new study showed.....NO discernible monetary difference in red-light equipped intersections over non.

The one type of accident (side) went down, the rear-enders went WAY up.

https://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/pubs/05049/index.htm

You read it and tell me what it says.

It's gummint gibberish.

TOC
02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
5 more:

https://blog.motorists.org/red-light-cameras-increase-accidents-5-studies-that-prove-it/

Steve_S
02-01-2010, 01:30 AM
No opposition here to red light cameras, but speed cameras are going too far. They do not take traffic conditions or special circumstances into account any more than the speed limit itself does. Setting a hard speed limit for all weather and traffic conditions on a given road is absurd, which is why most police officers seem to turn a blind eye to a bit of speeding on occasion. That attitude is dying though, as pressure increases to create more income through traffic tickets.

Some places have variable speed limits, and that makes more sense to me. But speed limits in most places these days are more about revenue than safety. A recent move in a city near to me proved that, when the city council tried to lower speed limits in order to create more speed citations. Last I heard they got slapped back to reality by the courts.

In my opinion, speed (within reason) doesn't kill... inattentive drivers do. Why not put a camera in every car instead, and ticket anyone who picks up a cell phone, steers with a single wrist at 70 MPH on the freeway, eats breakfast, reads a book, text messages, watches a DVD, reaches into the back seat, does their makeup, drives drunk, drives sleepy or does anything else far more stupid than driving faster than a posted speed limit?

I'd put any amount of money down that I (and others here) can drive 30% over any speed limit with far greater safety to myself and those on the road with me, than the average person drives their car at the posted speed limit. Having no radio in the car, cell phone off and packed away, and both hands always on the wheel (as well as an understanding of my vehicle's and my own abilities) puts me in the minority for sure. But I take driving very seriously whether I'm crawling along in traffic or blatantly ignoring the speed limit on a road I know well. Still, I may some day have to lose my own freedom to use common sense because of those who choose to be irresponsible behind the wheel. Speed cameras can't decide that a little excess speed in perfect conditions is not dangerous any more than they can cite a person driving the speed limit while typing text messages. Speed cameras are simply a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion, and I along with many others would argue that they are primarily for revenue rather than road safety.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating speeding, I just don't believe a modest breech of the posted limit is of significance compared to most driving-related dangers.

JamesWilson
02-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Why not put a camera in every car instead, and ticket anyone who picks up a cell phone, steers with a single wrist at 70 MPH on the freeway, eats breakfast, reads a book, text messages, watches a DVD, reaches into the back seat, does their makeup, drives drunk, drives sleepy or does anything else ....

I don't think that's a particularly good idea:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7092642/Motorist-fined-for-blowing-nose.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Michael Mancini, a father of two, said he put the handbrake on before wiping his nose but was asked to pull over by officers who were standing nearby.

He was told he was not in control of his vehicle and was handed a 60 fixed penalty and three points on his licence.
[/QUOTE]

Seems crazy, but maybe the police didn't like the look of the guy.... Years ago I was talking to a traffic cop and he said they could get anyone anytime for something, if they really wanted to....

swift6
02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
After reading through some of those blogs and studies it does seem that some jurisdictions are not seeing a proper benefit from red light cameras. It also seems that it can simply come down to the particular municipality and how they implement a red light camera policy. It can be skewed to revenue, safety or neither if they fail to follow up with other 'maintenance' issues. I can speak to the effectiveness of safety to red light intersections that we have locally. The intersection that has had the cameras installed the longest is one of the safest intersections of its size in the area but it wasn't always so.

Before the red light cameras were in place, it became a near weekly occurrence that traffic through this intersection would be nearly stopped due to a major accident. This intersection is three through lanes with double left turn lanes and dedicated (single) right hand turn lanes in the North/South directions. The East/West are two lane (each) with single dedicated left and right turn lanes. Each time on of these accidents happened, travel through the intersection would be limited outside lanes for through traffic and right hand turns for everything else. The domino effect in all cardinal directions was massive. Ambulance, Fire and Tow trucks would actually stage as close to the intersection as possible to reduce response time as well as the time the intersection would be down.

After the red light cameras were installed accidents immediately began to reduce. You could see the cameras flash units tripping from more than a block away so it immediately would remind people of the new type of traffic enforcement ahead. Those cameras were taking a LOT of photos initially with multiple cars running the red lights with each cycle. Rear end collisions did dramatically jump for a while as people would jamb on their brakes for the yellow light. The rear end collisions would only jamb up traffic in that one lane though and for a shorter period. Those collisions were typically right at the intersection.

The local traffic control people didn't just install the red light camera and wait for it to all work out though. They kept studying the traffic pattern and adjusting the light timing looking for the sweet spot of light timing and photo enforcement. They continue to study that same intersection at least twice a year.

Now, that intersection, which has had a red light camera installed for more than ten years, is one of the safest and easiest to navigate large intersections in Northern Colorado. Especially considering the amount of traffic that moves through it. There is rarely an accident that blocks the intersection and the red light cameras hardly go off anymore. The rear end collisions that are still present are usually a hundred meters or more from the intersection and are from inattentive or distracted drivers that would do the same on a non-red light camera intersection.

I know the preceding was/is anecdotal but it seems to illustrate, to me at least, that red light cameras can be effective for safety. But also that they are not install and forget options, they still need to be properly timed and adjusted for maximum effect.

swift6
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Seems crazy, but maybe the police didn't like the look of the guy.... Years ago I was talking to a traffic cop and he said they could get anyone anytime for something, if they really wanted to....

There are often many obscure little laws that can be used to make a traffic stop. However, if the reason they use to pull you over in the first place turn out to be false it can throw out anything else they ticket you for so officers sometimes have to be very careful with the reason they cite for pulling someone over.

A traffic judge I know told me of a case where an officer made a DUI stop and subsequent arrest. When it went to court, the offense was dismissed in favor of the defense because the arresting officer cited that the initiating reason for the stop was because there was a pine tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror which, he believed, was a safety violation. The judge asked him how many other tickets he had written for safety violations to people with pine tree air fresheners, which in reality, is not considered a safety violation. The answer was zero. Result, no probable cause for initiating a traffic stop. Turns out the guy had also failed to stop at a stop sign, failed to signal a turn at an intersection and had also failed to signal a lane change. All of which would have been perfectly justifiable reasons to initiate a traffic stop.

My sister, who is also a local officer and used to be the lead DUI enforcement officer, told me that this officer was trying to set a precedent for stopping people with air fresheners in order to 'profile' drug users, specifically marijuana users. Not only did it not work, the officer ended up being reprimanded for trying such a thing, and it let a DUI offender off on a technicality.

Monark192
02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
VC26708(A) Unlawful material on vehicle windows $178

What sort of unlawful material have people been putting ontheir windows?

GregW
02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Full moon? Here in California, you can only tint the windows behind the front seats.

AngliaGT
02-02-2010, 11:53 PM
You are also limited as to where you can put any stickers,
etc. on the windshield.

- Doug

02-03-2010, 12:22 AM
[quote=JamesWilson]the initiating reason for the stop was because there was a pine tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror which, he believed, was a safety violation..

Was this in Alabama? The pres of my college sailing team was pulled over in AL for "an obstuction" hangnin from his rear view mirror...a crystal fish. Once he pulled him over, he asked the pres if he minded if he searched the car for.....are ya ready..........ANTHRAX !!!! The guy consented and the cop found some drugs. He got off. Stupid idiot, he was about to graduate a N.A.M.E and had a few interviews lined up.

AngliaGT
02-03-2010, 01:52 AM
N.A.M.E.?????

- Doug

DrEntropy
02-03-2010, 03:26 AM
"I heard I was in town..."

innit it funny.