PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Removing TR4a front rotors

tdskip
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Any tips - should be straight forward but I just couldn't get any of the bolts to budge yesterday...

TR4nut
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Step 1. Important: jack up the front of the car first.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Are you trying to remove the rotors from from the hubs? Don't think there are locktabs there, but maybe check because I don't remember. I think I just put the hub in a vice and used my larger breaker bar last time I did it.

karls59tr
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Soak the head and rear are of the bolt with PB Blaster and tap the bolt head lightly with a ball peen hammer to help the solvent seep into the threads. Leave overnight. Then put a breaker bar or cheater bar or piece of pipe to give you extra leverage and then apply steady pressure till the bolt breaks free. (probably better to use a breaker bar rather than a socket wrench as you might too much pressure on the mechanism. Good luck with it.

tdskip
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
OK.

Thanks guys - I hit the bolts with PB Blaster before I locked up the hanger so that will sit for a couple of days.

TR3driver
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Mine came off with just the least touch of the impact wrench ... no locktabs, just lockwashers.

TR4nut
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I had forgotten one easy thing here - to hold everything down, just bolt it back down on a spare wheel - plenty of leverage then.