PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR 3A Steering Backing Plate

Tinkerman
01-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I have the steering wheel and the control head but was missing the control head backing plate. Randy, down Texas way, came through with one for me. I thank you sir! It has the usual accumulation of rust, grunge, and dirt that any 50 year old part would have so I took it apart for cleaning. Have figured it mostly all out, but there is a slotted, pointed staub, riveted to the actual backing plate and I have not figured out its purpose. I'm hoping some one can tell me it's it's supposed to do. I will put it back together and I suppose it will do what ever it has to do, but I sure would like to know what it's meant to do.

Your comments and thoughts as always gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Tinkerman

Mickey Richaud
01-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Is that for cancelling the turn signal?

Tinkerman
01-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Mickey, I polled Randy and he said that it came off a non-adjustable steering column. So I'm not sure what to think. Guess I'll put it all together and see how it works.

Thanks, Dick

TR3driver
01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Mickey is right, that tab is part of the turn signal cancelling mechanism. The plate is the same between both adjustable and non-adjustable mechanisms (although most people don't take them apart that far).

That plate gets secured to the steering wheel with the grub screws, and the tab forces the outer ring of the turn signal switch to turn with the steering wheel. The outer ring has a ramp that in turn lifts one of the two square pegs, which then lifts the roller out of the notch and allows the switch to return to center under the force of the coil springs.

Don Elliott
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Dick - This might help.

Don Elliott
01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Here is part of a Tech Article from the TR Register in 1985.

Don Elliott
01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
And here's the rest.

TR3driver
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey Don, could you post the TR Action article on Photobucket or someplace where it could be a bit larger? It looks interesting, but is way too small to read.

MGTF1250Dave
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Aloha all,

here is a link to the Triumph Register Australia Tech Topics that contains an article written by Clive Elsdon, Sidescreen Control Head-disassembly(about halfway down the page). A good description with photos. Although it doesn't describe reassembly there is enough information to reverse engineer it.

https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/technical.htm

MGTF1250Dave
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Aloha Randall,

If you right click on the documents Don posted, you can save it as a photo to your computer. From there you can enlarge it for easier reading.

TR3driver
01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
If you right click on the documents Don posted, you can save it as a photo to your computer. From there you can enlarge it for easier reading. That's true, but it doesn't improve the resolution. No matter how much you enlarge a low resolution image, it stays fuzzy.

Don Elliott
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Just what I was going to say about saving it and enlarging it. Randall, I'll send both to you in high resolution.

Don

TR3driver
01-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Got it, Thanks Don!

If anyone else is interested, I've uploaded it to:
https://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/Control%20Head/
along with a shot showing outer ring with the slot that the tab goes into.