PDA

View Full Version : wheres the best place to get parts?

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I just bought a 1960 TR3A.wheres the best place to get parts

Moseso
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
There are what are referred to around here as "the big three."
The Roadster Factory
Moss Motors
Victoria British.
All available online.
Once you've gained a bit of TR knowledge, there's eBay -- but you have to know about what you're bidding on there...

Then, there are more "little guys" around than I can post here. Many specialize in performance parts.

Start searching this forum, and you'll find a lot of them. You don't need to know them all now. If your distributor's shot, search here for "TR3 distributor." and you will undoubtedly find Advanced Distributors. Everyone here loves Jeff at Advanced. Etc. etc. etc.

Oh, yeah... Welcome to the forum -- and WAY cool score on your dad's TR3!!!

poolboy
01-24-2010, 02:32 PM
This is a generous and unselfish bunch here, from what I've seen. They'll tell you places to buy early Triumph parts, but I've seen lots of stuff donated

M_Pied_Lourd
01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Now the fun begins.

A couple more that I use as well....

British Parts Northwest
Little British Car Company

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

rlwhitetr3b
01-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Basil, the boss, would want us to put in a plug or the supporting vendors also.
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=supportingvendors

FYI Basil is the owner of this forum.

SkinnedKnuckles
01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Both The Roadster Factory (TRF) and Moss used to have parts catalogues with absolutely great exploded diagrams of the different subsystems. These are on the web sites. I don't know if hardcopies are still available, but get 'em if you can.

Update: Moss still offers a free catalogue.

Moseso
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
:iagree: :iagree:
ABSOLUTELY!
First purchase: (and, yes, they are available -- if a bit spendy) a Shop Manual and a Parts Catalog.

TR4nut
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
And for added reference, don't forget over in the UK:

Rimmer Brothers (https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/)
Revington TR (https://www.revingtontr.com/shop/default.asp)
Moss Europe (https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/)

You may never need to buy from them, but it is sometimes very helpful to look up other parts and check availability. Other times, though, with sales they can beat US prices even with shippping.

Randy

ekamm
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
There are vendors of Moss parts a well that will get you some discount. I've recently used Little British Car co. They are purveyors of the exact same from Moss parts and some what less expensive. Same moss #'s and everything so you can use moss' site to explore and the order from the other.

TR3driver
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Both The Roadster Factory (TRF) and Moss used to have parts catalogues with absolutely great exploded diagrams of the different subsystems. TRF offered those for the TR250/6, but AFAIK never did a full catalog for the TR3, only various "popular parts" partial listings (with names like "Glovebox Companion"). You really need a copy of the original factory parts catalogue to fully explore everything that is available from TRF. (I have a PDF version, but it's 34 Mb. PM or email me if you are interested in a copy.)

That said, I prefer to deal with TRF when I can, because the owner Charles Runyan, is a genuine Triumph enthusiast (showed up at TRfest in his own TR3A, which he drove some 3000 miles from his home in PA). That is also true of some of the smaller vendors, but to the rest of the "Big Three", we are just an income stream.

GreenOne
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Being on the east coast we get very timely deliveries from the UK and I have found Rimmer (link above) to be a very viable and competitive supplier, and their new web site is very friendly.

HerronScott
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Randall,

I have to agree about TRF and Charles. He and John Swauger were at all of the shows that I went to in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania in the early 80's and were very friendly and willing to talk to you about your car.

I looked through my receipts from when I restored my TR4A during that time and most of the receipts are to the Roadster Factory (with others to Moss, Start Your Engines and Victoria British). My first receipt from TRF is dated June 1982 when they were only 4 years old.

Scott

GilsTR
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
JonnyR...Congrats on to 60 TR3A. I also own a TR3A...just like the one I had back in college....
My best tip for where to buy parts A) hook up with some local TR guys...all of us have spare parts B) Use the classifieds here on the forum C) Check the classifieds on VTR D) and the source that save me a ton on my restoration...just hunt and hunt on the internet. I could not afford all new!
Best of luck. Gil

JKB1957
01-25-2010, 12:56 AM
I have also had good luck with British Parts Northwest. They are very helpful with questions.

AngliaGT
01-25-2010, 02:42 AM
As to BPNW,I raced in the same group at PIR,
back when he raced an early Spitfire,back when
he owned a gas station.Anyone who race those well
deserves my respect.
I have heard very few complaints about his business.
They are the first place I usually go to.

- Doug

Dudly
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Look up Team Triumph In Warren Ohio www.teamtriumph.com (https://www.teamtriumph.com)
Scott has a lifetime of Triumph wisdom, and 10 lifetimes of parts, used, new, NOS.