PDA

View Full Version : I want one!

Basil
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
The Electric Icarus (Puffin) (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasa-one-man-stealth-plane)

This is too cool!

GregW
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah, just wait 'til the soccer moms get a hold of that thing. :rolleyes:

tony barnhill
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Nice computer digitation...nice idea.....will never evolve into being & if it does, it'll be a quarter million to own one!

Basil
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Nice computer digitation...nice idea.....will never evolve into being & if it does, it'll be a quarter million to own one!

You could see your MG collection!

aeronca65t
01-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Excellent!

But as we all know, the "trick" is still the battery (as it has been with electric vehicles for over 100 years).

Either too little capacity (lead/acid) or far too expensive (like the lithium/phosphate batteries in this one).

Still, I really hope someone can come up with a breakthrough in battery design (maybe some of those cool micro-capacitor batteries with millions of quick-recharge caps will somehow become practical.....who knows?).

I sort of have a renewed interest in electric power of late. My SAE students have created a mini-electric vehicle challenge with several local high schools.

Basil
01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Excellent!

But as we all know, the "trick" is still the battery (as it has been with electric vehicles for over 100 years).

Either too little capacity (lead/acid) or far too expensive (like the lithium/phosphate batteries in this one).

Still, I really hope someone can come up with a breakthrough in battery design (maybe some of those cool micro-capacitor batteries with millions of quick-recharge caps will somehow become practical.....who knows?).

I sort of have a renewed interest in electric power of late. My SAE students have created a mini-electric vehicle challenge with several local high schools.

I agree, Nial, the "trick" will be the battery, and I am of the opinion that it will also need to be a battery that doesn't violate basic laws of economics (e.g., lots of power for less money than current options (fossil fuels). That will not be an easy trick to pull off.

Stewart
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
the real trick is the transition from horizontal to vertical flight for landing. Didn't work to well for the airforce or navy.

01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
the real trick is the transition from horizontal to vertical flight for landing. Didn't work to well for the airforce or navy.

Nope, the REAL trick is goiing from 1000 feet to the pavement in 5 seconds when the battery goes dead !!!!

MikeP
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
The Air Force, Lockheed and some others in the 50s found that the really tough part is going from horizonal in flight to a stable vertical landing.

Gliderman8
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Not so sure on the choice of a name (Icarus) for this bird.
Icarus fell from the skies because his wax melted... metaphor for exhausted batteries? :whistle:

Go for the glider Basil <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif