PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A chance to buy dads TR3A! Pic added

JonnyRotten
01-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I have the chance to buy a 1960 tr3a.History:this was my fathers car in 1965.he sold it to his friend who has had it ever since.I believe everything is original.Its been garaged and has no little or no rust or dents.i think its the original paint.It hasn't been run since 1980.the motor turns over with crank in front of car.the interior needs work(seats,trim,door panels).Hes selling it to me for $3000.Im wondering what these cars go for in this condition.P.S the car has a lot of sentimental value but i dont want to get burned.

Andrew Mace
01-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Grab it NOW! Any solid and complete TR3A -- especially in mostly original condition -- is easily worth that or more!

mrv8q
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Get the car, you have this forum, you'll be good to go. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">can't</span> go wrong for 3K! Let us know the commission number (VIN).

rlwhitetr3b
01-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the list. :savewave:
I've had mine for about 25 years, so I'll let someone else take guess about value. I know they will want pictures.

You might be able to get an idea about value from ebay.

Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself.
Would you buy a TR3a if it wasn't you dad's?
If you were looking for a TR3a would you want this one?
Why was it parked/stored?
Was it stored inside or outside?

I see you got several answers while I was typing.

TR3driver
01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
:iagree:

I paid more for my TR3, in worse condition and several years ago. And I still think I got a good deal.

toysrrus
01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi JR,

I`d go for it. I pd. much more than that for a Rust Bucket!

Russ

PS: If you don`t feel you want it; Please let me know.

Silverghost
01-23-2010, 08:34 PM
If you don't want it......the line forms behind ME!!! :laugh:

Mickey Richaud
01-23-2010, 08:47 PM
If you don't want it......the line forms behind ME!!! :laugh:

There's your answer!

And welcome to the BCF!

M_Pied_Lourd
01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
In a heartbeat....

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

HerronScott
01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Definitely! I paid $1000 for mine in 1991 and it will need at least floors, rockers, trunk and spare tire compartment. That might have been too much at the time but it too had some sentimental value since it was the first Triumph I ever rode in and the one that got me interested in owning one.

Scott

Arrow
01-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Whether you're into cars or not buy it yesterday. I have three TR-3s, one of which was my father's. There isn't another TR-3 (probably) out there that was your father's. The car will mean more to you as time goes by. If you have kids, one of them could one day say it was his Dad's and his Grandfather's.
Plus 3 grand for a complete car is a value but buy it even at twice the price.

ekamm
01-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I have nearly the same situation all though my dad kept it from '62 until this last July. He's gotten to old to dive or care for it. Mine is in similar condition and I'm now getting the interior in condition. I did all of the get her going work myself, I haven't had a more rewarding experience in my life than getting her started and now driving it. What a blast and the notalgia is killer. It's been through the help of the guys knowledge on this forum that has made it possible and I look forward to continued support.

JonnyRotten
01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
After all your replies,Im shakin until Its in my garage.(TOMMOROW)Thanks.Ill be using this site for all my work ahead.

rlwhitetr3b
01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Good decision!:banana:

bgbassplyr
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Kool.
Good on ya. You'll not regret it.

ekamm
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Awesome another legacy car!

AngliaGT
01-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Good! I always like to hear stories like that.
Plus,it's a great deal on top of that.

- Doug

TR6BILL
01-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I think the guy is trying to rip you off! If I were you, I would never speak to him again. In fact, give me his number and I will call him and give him a piece of my mind, for you of course. :whistle:

SkinnedKnuckles
01-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Congrats on your good fortune! Those kind of garaged finds are getting pretty rare.

SkinnedKnuckles
01-24-2010, 08:11 AM
All that said, you're a ways off from drivability. Try and find out why it was parked in 1980 - the engine or transmission probably needs a rebuild. The hydraulics &amp; brakes will need a complete overhaul as well the fuel system &amp; carbs. Tires are shot. And that's the short list. It will be mostly fun and worth it, though. This is the place for questions if you haven't done this sort of thing before.

Tinkerman
01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Welcome and good on you for getting it. When you have questions this forum will provide not only the answers but encouragement, humor and friends. Welcome to to forum!

Tinkerman

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
That I knew.anyone know what I should expect to pay for a restoration to drive condition.If I do everything myself except upholstery.everything sk said plus all new interior,ballpark.$3000,$10,0000?He has canvas top,carpet and muffler pieces new in box.

vagt6
01-24-2010, 09:19 AM
That I knew.anyone know what I should expect to pay for a restoration to drive condition.everything sk said plus all new interior,ballpark.$3000,$10,0000?He has canvas top,carpet and muffler pieces new in box.

First and foremost, have someone who's knoweldgeable about TR-3s to carefully inspect every inch of this car for you. Contact a local Triumph or LBC club, you'll find a kind soul who will help you. This is very important and will indicate what the car needs ($$$$$$).

Johnny, it all depends on what needs fixing on the car. All major systems on the car must be carefully inspected (engine; gearbox; electrical; braking; suspension; fuel, etc.) and key parts replaced or repaired. It not a hard job but requires patience, knowhow and care, for it must be done correctly in order to render the car safe to drive.

Assuming most of the key parts work and you don't have to rebuild the engine or drivetrain, you could get the car running for a few thousand bucks or less (you'll need new tires; the suspension refreshed; all rubber hoses, etc.). However, it's probably not realistic to assume that nothing major needs fixing. A decent engine overhaul will cost a few thousand, for example, and on and on.

Bottom line: restoring these old cars is not inexpensive, even if you can perform all the work yourself. Expect to fork out at least a few thousand. This figure could easily become $10,000 or more, depending on what needs repairs. I know folks who have more than $30,000 in TR-3s: it's surprisingly easy to do this!

At any rate, buy the car for the stated price. You cold sell it and make a profit easily.

Cool, to get your Dad's car. Priceless, actually. :yesnod:

Good luck! Please let us know what you do.

Gordon_Dedrick
01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm with Mark......
Spend what you need to get the car safe to drive.Tires, brakes, steering, all new fluids, and whatever else you need to get on the road and drive it for a while. I would expect you could get this done for a couple of thousand. Get to know it and all it's idiosyncracies and then you can make a plan to finish the details.
The details will cost more than you expect, take more time than you expect, and will be frustrating from time to time. This forum will help you every step of the way. The inner smiles you get every time you drive or even look at her will be worth more than the $$ IMHO.
Gordon

TRDejaVu
01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm with Mark......
Spend what you need to get the car safe to drive.Tires, brakes, steering, all new fluids, and whatever else you need to get on the road and drive it for a while. I would expect you could get this done for a couple of thousand. Get to know it and all it's idiosyncracies and then you can make a plan to finish the details.
The details will cost more than you expect, take more time than you expect, and will be frustrating from time to time. This forum will help you every step of the way. The inner smiles you get every time you drive or even look at her will be worth more than the $$ IMHO.
Gordon +1 on that. I did just that with my barn find that sat for 28 years. I don't want a trailer queen, so I'm doing a rolling resto. I initially got the car safe to drive and enjoy. Every winter, I tackle a project concentrating on one area. The rear suspension was OK, but could be improved, so that is this winter's project. It spreads the cost while allowing me to drive the car during the warmer part of the year.

Good luck, keep us posted and provide more pictures.

toysrrus
01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Howdy JR,

I calculated for my TR3 to be a real nice "Driver" cond. car a "LOW" of $12K to $15K. Thats without any mech. work as the car really drives fine.

The biggest $$$ will be in the "Body Work". Once you take it apart (If your going to do that); You just may find things that the naked eye can`t see while its together.

But; As mentioned, With Time, Patience and $$$; It`ll all be worth it.

Have Fun,

Russ

TR4nut
01-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I think the guy is trying to rip you off! If I were you, I would never speak to him again. In fact, give me his number and I will call him and give him a piece of my mind, for you of course. :whistle:

You are always one helpful guy Bill! Watch out, I'm going to find another TR for you around these parts and get you back into the fold.. TR3 restomod.. ah yes!

mallard
01-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Looks like a surviver car to me. If you can clean it up, fix whats wrong and drive it. A rolling encyclopedia of the TR3. You can never bring back a original car to original condition after it's been restored. Check too see if he has any of the documentation from your dad to his friend, title , bill of sale, plates, stuff like that. Keep the originals if it's there.

I forgot to mention about the right front tire being low on air. I'd only offer $2999.99. 30 year old air is very hard to find.

TR4nut
01-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Welcome Mr. Rotten, or maybe we just call you Jonny -

That car looks good, I'm in agreement with the above comments - barring a big mechanical problem, I think you could get the car on the road for pretty low money. Brakes, tires, new battery etc would be obvious focus items - then you need to see how competent the engine is. Hold off on paint for a while (car looks pretty good to me already) - and have fun.

Randy

GBRandy
01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I hate you.

SkinnedKnuckles
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
:lol:

Now that cracked me up.

HerronScott
01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I hate you.

Randy,

Don't worry you'll find yours one of these days. :smile:

Here are some options depending on how much of a fixer-upper you want.

Detroit Craigslist TR3 $3500 (https://detroit.en.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/1562634972.html)

Pueblo Craigslist TR3 $4000 (https://pueblo.en.craigslist.org/cto/1560661649.html)

Atlanta Craigslist TR3 $8000 (https://atlanta.en.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1562288183.html)

Scott

Banjo
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome Johnny.
Great find! big bonus being your dads. that's cool! Were abouts in N.Y. Are you? I'm just south of Watkins Glen and have been through several long-term storage TR3-4 "ressurections" before. If you're not to far away I'd be glad to give you a hand getting it running and driving.
Send me a PM if you don't feel like disclosing specific location on the open forum. I understand.
P.S. I've already got a TR2 project, I'm not out to collect any more. hehehe

rlwhitetr3b
01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
The first link in Scott's post seems to be a TR3B, unless it has the wrong valve cover on it. The year is right of for a B also.

DUH... It says it is a TR3B. :wall:

hondo402000
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
cant put a value on sentimental things

Hondo

DNK
01-24-2010, 01:37 PM
My thought exactly Randy. Was telling my wife this morning that people like that make me sick :laugh:

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I am the proud owner of a 1960 TR3A.Ill be relying heavily on my new friends here,thank you all again for your input.another post asked for vin #.The ts # on firewall is different then on regi.I dont know what that means.Heres the #s.on car TS-70599 LO.In center of car are two #s EB69299 under that 1074162.On regi TS-70881E.Plate# from 1981.332luo.Anyone with info on this car would be great.I also have original owners manual and handbook which looks like it will be a big help with restoration!

pjsmetana
01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I am the proud owner of a 1960 TR3A!

Congratulations!

martx-5
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I am the proud owner of a 1960 TR3A.Ill be relying heavily on my new friends here,thank you all again for your input.another post asked for vin #.The ts # on firewall is different then on regi.I dont know what that means.Heres the #s.on car TS-70599 LO.In center of car are two #s EB69299 under that 1074162.On regi TS-70881E.Plate# from 1981.332luo.Anyone with info on this car would be great.I also have original owners manual and handbook which looks like it will be a big help with restoration!

The TS 70599 LO is the commission number. The "L" means left hand drive and the "O" means <span style="font-weight: bold">OVERDRIVE</span>...that's an overdrive transmission that is worth about 1/2 of what you paid for the car. Hopefully, it's still there. I'm sure it is, due to the provenance of the car.

The TS 70881E is the engine number...which fits right with the car. They always ran a few hundred ahead of commission numbers due to spares etc. On the driver's side of the engine by the coil you will see that number stamped in the block. The other two numbers on the oval plates are body numbers.

Apparently, it got registered using the engine number. Not the first time I've seen that.

TR3driver
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
The TS 70881E is the engine numberApparently it was not unusual "back when" for the engine number to be put on the American paperwork instead of the commission number. The same thing happened with TS13571L.

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 02:44 PM
It Is an over drive tranny,he said something abuot 2,3,and 4th gear.looks like im off to a good start!

TR4nut
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Overdrive.. don't tell GBRandy!

SkinnedKnuckles
01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Tell us you worked the price down to $2200 and some folks will cramp up....

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
no,but he threw in tonue cover,seat covers,soft top,exhaust,carpet,.All new in box!!!And the original service manual and hand book to boot!

AngliaGT
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Was the picture you posted taken where the car is now stored?
If the body's not rusty,I'd just get it going,give it a nice detail,
&amp; drive it.
When the weather's nice,it gets frustrating not to be able to
go for a drive.

- Doug

tdskip
01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
A bit late to the party but how cool is this. Hard to go wrong at that price, I think you owe you Dad a beer.

Andrew Mace
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
...The ts # on firewall is different then on regi.I dont know what that means.Heres the #s.on car TS-70599 LO.In center of car are two #s EB69299 under that 1074162.On regi TS-70881E.Plate# from 1981.332luo.Anyone with info on this car would be great.I also have original owners manual and handbook which looks like it will be a big help with restoration! As Randall noted, it was common back then to use engine numbers for vehicle registration in some states, and New York was one of those states. Once you're ready to register the car, I'd suggest good digital photos AND pencil rubbings of both numbers for the DMV; with those, you should have no trouble registering the car "properly" with the commission number.

For what it's worth, your car was probably built sometime in early- to mid-March 1960. As a point of reference, my now-sold TS71909L was built March 28, 1960, and my also now-sold TS73624L was built April 15, 1960. Triumph was cranking out a lot of TR3s back then!

JonnyRotten
01-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Thats great!Id like to know everything about this car.Its birthday is up on the list!

Andrew Mace
01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
In case you've not already found this information, this link (https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/pages/exhibitions/exhibitions_heritage_certificates.html) will tell you how to go about finding out when and how the car was built, where it was delivered originally (country), etc.!

TRDejaVu
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
It says something about this forum when you see this many people getting excited for someone else's good fortune. You will be in good hands here.

Silverghost
01-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Hey!! I said the line forms behind ME! LOL Moot point now though....we scared er convinced him into buying it! :laugh:

Number_6
01-25-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, I see you did buy the car. I read the your original post and my first thought was:

"BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! BEFORE HE CHANGES HIS MIND!! BUY IT!"

:thumbsup: