PDA

View Full Version : Door Finisher Trim Pads

Joe_Pinehill
01-16-2010, 05:20 PM
One of my door finisher trim pads, (VB catalog page 82) has cracked and a piece fallen off. Has anyone replaced these? straight forward?

hilsideser
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Looks like it. I have to do a set here soon, too. I have two sets in stock now. Probably a little heat from a hair dryer may help to soften up the plastic.

Dan76spit
01-16-2010, 06:24 PM
hi guys to save some cash i picked up some vinyl by the yard at jo-ann fabrics and cut new pieces for the door tops. i glued them on using 3m spray adhesive. I think the vinyl was like $14 a yard and that was enough to do both doors and the wheel humps and some new panels i made for the boot. To do it you have to take the door panels off. good luck

Joe_Pinehill
01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi Dan, could you email some photos? j o s e p h . a . p u l k o w s k i @ g m a i l . c o m

Spaces are there to deter the robots.

Joe_Pinehill
01-17-2010, 07:53 AM
when I scan some peoples restoration pages, seems like some people done bother with the vinyl trim, they just leave the exposed painted metal.

PeterK
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Dan,

Plain old vinyl won't last very long in a vehicle. It would have been better to use marine grade vinyl with UV protection. So don't go too crazy trying to save a buck or two. You get what you pay for.

-Pete

TR4nut
01-17-2010, 10:21 AM
when I scan some peoples restoration pages, seems like some people done bother with the vinyl trim, they just leave the exposed painted metal.

That's what I did on my 74 long ago - I figured if the paint scratched I could always cover it. Never had to.

Dan76spit
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
yea ill post it here to. Pete yea i did use a uv restiant vinyl, they have have both just make sure you ask. sorry the pic is not the best but its the only one i could find showing them. I tucked the vinyl in between the door and the inner window wheather stripping then sprayed both the top of the door and the back of the vinyl with adhesive. make sure you mask off anything you dont want the adhesive to get on. after giving it a few minutes to set up fold the vinyl down and stick it to the door. tape the bottom down and then you can put the door panel back on.

https://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/8ae162404619d70b439d6778bca887249be55c43.JPG

Mark Jones
01-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Joe, I first bought the covers but found them to be about 1/2" too short. I then did the same as Dan and covered the area with vinyl cloth and it looks great and was very easy to do.