PDA

View Full Version : Haiti donation

NutmegCT
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I've been watching horrible pictures of what's going on in Haiti. Then I did a search and counted all the posts I made here at BCF in the last year.

I'm donating $1.00 for each post I made here, to the charity of my choice (Doctors without Borders) for Haiti relief.

Anyone want to join me and do something similar for their own charity?

Tom

Basil
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
I've been watching horrible pictures of what's going on in Haiti. Then I did a search and counted all the posts I made here at BCF in the last year.

I'm donating $1.00 for each post I made here, to the charity of my choice (Doctors without Borders) for Haiti relief.

Anyone want to join me and do something similar for their own charity?

Tom

Thanks! I posed a link to the Red Cross donations page for those who want to go that route.

aeronca65t
01-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Great idea Tom! I feel a bit helpless watching the news.....this is a simple way to at least do something positive.

DaveatMoon
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks! I posed a link to the Red Cross donations page for those who want to go that route.
For a simpler way to donate, text "Haiti" on your cell phone to 90999. That automatically donates $10 to the Red Cross through mGive ( mGive.com (https://mgive.com/Default.aspx) ).

Within 24 hours they'd already raised $1 million using this method. Red Cross Raises $1,000,000+ for Haiti Through Text Message Campaign (https://mashable.com/2010/01/13/haiti-red-cross-donations/).

Basil
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info Dave. Whatever method folks want to use to give, be sure you are giving to/through a legitimate source. By going directly to the Red Cross site, there is no question who you are giving to. Not saying this organization is a problem, just saying folks should be careful because, unfortunately, at times like this, there are a lot of scams out there. Here are some tips (https://www.kval.com/news/81341017.html) to avoid the scams.

Basil
01-14-2010, 08:28 AM
For a simpler way to donate, text "Haiti" on your cell phone to 90999. That automatically donates $10 to the Red Cross through mGive ( mGive.com (https://mgive.com/Default.aspx) ).

Within 24 hours they'd already raised $1 million using this method. Red Cross Raises $1,000,000+ for Haiti Through Text Message Campaign (https://mashable.com/2010/01/13/haiti-red-cross-donations/).

FYI, I just heard Sec. Clinton repeat your suggestion as a way to donate.

judow
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Haiti is indeed one of the poorest counties in the world. When hubby and I lived in Sarasatoa, he did missionary flights to Haiti for Agape Flights and as a result I spent time in Haiti. My reaction to my stays were until you have actually seen and smelled poverty, none of us know what it is really like. I was embarassed by my 'wealth.' For the most part we brought hospital supplies to the hospital in Cap Haitian and Port au Prince. I can say with certainity that no human should have to live like the average Haitian and now this. I pray the Haitian people will persevere and just maybe after so many actually smell and taste the poverty, they will be forced into action to help. We made a donation directly to Agape Flights out of Venice Florida and simply said for them to use it the best way they thought. Agape flies into Haiti on a weekly schedule in their small Cessna doing whatever they can to help the missionaries. Agape is also asking for anyone with a plane to contact them. Sorry for the downer folks but this event has brought back a flood of memories for me. My prayers and some of my 'wealth' is with them.

This is a repeat of my post in the other thread regarding the earthquake in Haiti and thought it should be repeated here.

tony barnhill
01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
You know, I agree with you that no human being should live like that....Mickey & I went to Honduras a couple years ago...as you know it is the 2nd poorest country in the hemisphere & no human should live like that either.....& while I felt for the Hondurans, I wasn't ashamed of my wealth.....I earned everything I have - honestly!

As soon as we - America - help the Haitians through this travesty, we need to make their government give an accounting of what happened to the $3 billion we've sent that country in the last 17 years....we haven't a clue....& it wasn't used by their government to improve the lives of everyday Haitians!

Sorry, hope this post doesn't take away from the tragedy that is unfolding before us on TV....&, while I'm making my donations, we need to keep it real.

AngliaGT
01-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Not being political - why doesen't the money intendend for
the people,not go to the people?
I'm one of those people who think Black/White.Why is the
real world always Gray?

- Doug

DrEntropy
01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
You know, I agree with you that no human being should live like that....Mickey & I went to Honduras a couple years ago...as you know it is the 2nd poorest country in the hemisphere & no human should live like that either.....& while I felt for the Hondurans, I wasn't ashamed of my wealth.....I earned everything I have - honestly!

As soon as we - America - help the Haitians through this travesty, we need to make their government give an accounting of what happened to the $3 billion we've sent that country in the last 17 years....we haven't a clue....& it wasn't used by their government to improve the lives of everyday Haitians!

Sorry, hope this post doesn't take away from the tragedy that is unfolding before us on TV....&, while I'm making my donations, we need to keep it real.

Thanks, Tony. I weren't gonna bell th' cat.

Basil
01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Not being political - why doesen't the money intendend for
the people,not go to the people?
I'm one of those people who think Black/White.Why is the
real world always Gray?

- Doug

You have a PM

Mickey Richaud
01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Sigh.

tony barnhill
01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I know, Mick - but it had to be said....these poor people were dying everyday without the travesty of this earthquake & somebody's doing something else with the $$$'s we send to help the people....I've figured out that organizations like yours are the only ones to which I'm going to contribute in the future...you can't trust a government to take care of its people when it gets free money....but, churches and organizations like yours that have links directly to where the need is are the ones who can do some good in a few lives.

In this particular tragedy, I'm helping the US Red Cross because I think that, once transportation issues are solved, they'll actually help the people living on the streets.

DNK
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
What he said :iagree:

vagt6
01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Last time I checked UPS was sending packages under 50 pounds free of charge.

Haitians need the most basic of necessities, practically any household goods, personal hygene, etc.

Good deal, worth trying. :yesnod:

Mickey Richaud
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I know, Mick - but it had to be said....

Maybe.

Now's not the time.

Basil
01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I made my contribution through Red Cross.

Brian_James
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Last time I checked UPS was sending packages under 50 pounds free of charge.

Haitians need the most basic of necessities, practically any household goods, personal hygene, etc.

Good deal, worth trying. :yesnod:
According to snopes this is not the case. UPS says they do not have the infrastructure on the ground to make this happen, and that they are directing their aid through relief agencies.

https://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/haiti.asp

That is probably a good page to check on novel Haiti related charity options. For the traditional road there is www.charitynavigator.org (https://www.charitynavigator.org) . It breaks down data based on last years numbers. My personal contribution is going through established disaster relief agencies like the Red Cross and Doctors Without Boarders, since they appear to be best equipped to immediately mobilize for such a large disaster.

Brian

vagt6
01-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for correcting that, Brian. Good idea by UPS, but there was no way for UPS to get packages into Haiti.

Just donate something . . . ASAP. :yesnod:

Basil
01-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I just saw former Presidents Clinton and Bush with President Obama. He has asked them, and they have both accepted the call, to spearhead the effort to organize private help. What they said was best to do is <span style="font-weight: bold">send cash</span> to the organizations trying to help, rather than trying to send food, blankets, etc. True all that is needed, but the best, most efficient way to get that sort of thing to the Haitians is to donate cash to legitimate organizations so they can use it as they see fit. That also makes the most sense from a logistics standpoint.

DrEntropy
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] What they said was best to do is send cash to the organizations trying to help, rather than trying to send food, blankets, etc. True all that is needed, but the best, most efficient way to get that sort of thing to the Haitians is to donate cash to legitimate organizations [/QUOTE]

This is without doubt the "fast lane" solution. Trying to send goods in is just cludging up the "machine."

aerog
01-16-2010, 01:03 PM
This is without doubt the "fast lane" solution. Trying to send goods in is just cludging up the "machine."

Yup.

That UPS thing sounded like a fib anyway. Sending things in and out of the DR via UPS is an adventure when things are normal, nevermind trying to send things to <span style="font-style: italic">Haiti</span> now.

01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
...you can't trust a government to take care of its people when it gets free money....but, churches and organizations like yours that have links directly to where the need is are the ones who can do some good in a few lives.

In this particular tragedy, I'm helping the US Red Cross because I think that, once transportation issues are solved, they'll actually help the people living on the streets.

Yup, church folks were the first feet on the ground here after Katrina and got deeper into the worst territory. In some places, the gov didn't even show up. It was church organizations that saved the day. See, they don't have to follow orders, least not from folks.

Red Cross might be the best in this case, unless you know of folks that are goin' down there.

I do rememeber something about the ratio of $$$ donated to $$$ actually recieved w/ RC that was off. Also, IIRC, CEO of RC makes 425K a year, which I have a problem with. They had something on the news down here after the storm, but I don't rememebr the details.

At any rate, I believe some investigation is required no matter who you give your money to. I prefer faith based folks, seein' the have to answer to a "higher authority". The last person I'll trust is the guy who thinks he doesn't have to answer to anyone.

I'm just goving an example of the most effective relief here after the storm.

I hope this is permissible.

01-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I would like to add that the Red Cross was on the ground MONTHS after the storm providing meals to folks who were rebuilding. Kelly's mom lived in a heavily hit area and the RC would come by twice a day w/ hot meals. I thoughtthat was really cool. Her mother didn't live there anymore and we were just trying to get stuff out the house, deal w/ insurance and what not but the RC was always there. They kept trying to feed us, even though we weren't staying there.

RC volunteers are top notch folks !!!!